Topics

UP Side Door Caboose Survivor

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Friends,

Today the BBC has a photo feature on abandoned items. The 12th photo is a view of a turn-of-the-century UP side-door caboose in the desert at Rhyolite, Nevada: https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-46905816 . I decided not to repost the photo, since we have rules about this, so you will have to use the link.

This car is worthy of study for many reasons, not the least of which is the survival of a single marker light fixture atop the cupola. It also has very unusual end platforms with railings all the way around.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

Andy Carlson

Three Railroads served this town of Rhyolite, a very short lived mining town, and the UP was not one of the three. This caboose sits adjacent to a surviving depot (Bull Frog & Goldfield?), which is an amazing structure in its own right. It still had a train order semaphore the last time I saw it, though I have suspicions as to its originality to Rhyolite. The depot is a private residence and no one has ever been there in the nearly one dozen times I have visited over the decades.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On Monday, January 21, 2019, 1:56:04 AM PST, Garth Groff <sarahsan@...> wrote:

Friends,

Today the BBC has a photo feature on abandoned items. The 12th photo is a view of a turn-of-the-century UP side-door caboose in the desert at Rhyolite, Nevada: https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-46905816 . I decided not to repost the photo, since we have rules about this, so you will have to use the link.

This car is worthy of study for many reasons, not the least of which is the survival of a single marker light fixture atop the cupola. It also has very unusual end platforms with railings all the way around.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff
_._,_._,_

David Allen

But the SPLA&SL was built by two - Harriman and Senator William A. Clark. And Clark had a railroad through Rhyolite - the Las Vegas and Tonapah.

And there is a bit of mention in Don Strack's Bool, Cabooses of the Union Pacific, pg 123. Class NCS (Non-Common Standard) caboose LA&SL 3303 was built by Pullman in 1903 (previous number 4217) and was retired in 1928.

David Allen

Forgot to sign -
Dave Allen of Marquette, MI

Randy Hees

The surviving depot in Rhyolite is from the Las Vegas & Tonopah.  The caboose is from the San Pedro, Los Angeles & Salt Lake (later LA&SL. today Union Pacific)  It was built by Pullman in November of 1903,  It was retired in 1928 as no 3303, was previously no 4217.  It was considered a non-common standard (NCS) class car.

The body was moved to Rhyolite to be used as part of a gas station.

Randy Hees

Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>

The one below it is not bad either, Garth, if one reads the caption.
Must be a modeler of our ear of interest.

Cordially, Don Valentine