Vallejo Paint Colors

Bruce Griffin

Group,

i am not trying to start another ongoing color war, but since I really enjoy airbrushing Vallejo paints with my Awata double action airbrush (I haven’t enjoyed airbrushing in the past), I thought I would offer two photos of my crude test strips. And yes I am a member of ASTM and I know how to do this the right way, this is a hobby and I want to relax and unwind.  

I am slowly collecting Vallejo browns and reds (there are two yellows for FGEX) to see what works for me for my freight cars (and cabooses). I think I included the product numbers on each to make it is easy to replicate.

The only help I think this can be for you is if you use the approximation that Floquil 10074 boxcar red is a super close match to Vallejo 71271, Model Air German Red Brown. From that you could make some assumptions about other colors.  Or not. The Vallejo line of railroad colors is limited but there seem to be many appropriate colors in their entire line of paints. 

I have no affiliation with any paint or airbrush company, just sharing my preferences and some information that some Freight Car Modelers might find helpful. Now I will duck for cover. 

Best Regards,
Bruce Griffin
Ashland, MD, near Cockeysville. 

Paul Woods <paul@...>

Thanks for posting these, Bruce - I cannot afford to go buying lots of different colours just to test them, so your chart is a great help to me.

Regards
Paul Woods

Whangarei, NZ
NYCSHS #7172

Scott

Bruce,  have you tested the railroad colors from Micro Mark that Vallejo made for them?

https://www.micromark.com/Vallejo-Acrylic-Paint-Model-Air-1-oz

They are supposed to be matched to polyscale colors.  They dont have mineral red though which is a bummer.  They do have Box car red whichbis pretty tempting.  Have you found a good replacement for polyscale mineral red?

Scott McDonald

gtws00

Bruce,
Thanks for posting your conversion. I have also been using Vallejo Paints and find them to be easy to use and clean. I have both an Iwata Eclipse  and a Grex TG3 that I use a .5mm tip. Both work well with the Vallejo Paint I have used. FYI Vallejo had two types of paint . Model Air that is suppose to be air brush ready and Model Color that is Brush friendly and must be reduced to spray in an Airbrush. I also got some tips on using and mixing advice from Lester Breuer similar to what you have done. I am happy members post mixing results as it does save me money and time.
George Toman

Mark Stamm

MRH has a extensive list of Floquil and Pollyscale paint matches to Vallejo on their website.

Mark P Stamm
Mark at Euphoriatt dot Com

Sent from my mobile device

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the info and the images.  I’m new to Vallejo paint and thus far have only Amaranth Red Model Color that I ordered from Walmart of all places (last bottles so the website said), and intend to use as a starting point for early PRR freight car color, but I yet to give it a try.  I’ve found no retailers in this area that carry the line, and haven’t found an online retailer that stocks the Vallejo color charts for Model Air or Model Color.  Walthers lists “Acrylicos Vallejo SL” as a manufacturer on its advanced search, but lists none of its products!  I’d be interested in knowing your source of supply for these paints.

Also, which yellows are you using for FEGX reefers, and do they pertain to any particular eras?

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2019 2:04 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Vallejo Paint Colors

Group,

i am not trying to start another ongoing color war, but since I really enjoy airbrushing Vallejo paints with my Awata double action airbrush (I haven’t enjoyed airbrushing in the past), I thought I would offer two photos of my crude test strips. And yes I am a member of ASTM and I know how to do this the right way, this is a hobby and I want to relax and unwind. 

I am slowly collecting Vallejo browns and reds (there are two yellows for FGEX) to see what works for me for my freight cars (and cabooses). I think I included the product numbers on each to make it is easy to replicate.

The only help I think this can be for you is if you use the approximation that Floquil 10074 boxcar red is a super close match to Vallejo 71271, Model Air German Red Brown. From that you could make some assumptions about other colors.  Or not. The Vallejo line of railroad colors is limited but there seem to be many appropriate colors in their entire line of paints.

I have no affiliation with any paint or airbrush company, just sharing my preferences and some information that some Freight Car Modelers might find helpful. Now I will duck for cover.

Best Regards,
Bruce Griffin
Ashland, MD, near Cockeysville. 

Charles Happel

https://acrylicosvallejo.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/catalogue-vallejo-fine-arts-CC012.pdf
is their catalog, the website shows most of their colors.

Chuck Happel

Make crime pay. Become a lawyer. Will Rogers

--------------------------------------------

On Thu, 1/24/19, Ralph W. Brown <rbrown51@maine.rr.com> wrote:

Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Vallejo Paint Colors
Date: Thursday, January 24, 2019, 4:54 PM

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the info and the images.  I’m new to
Vallejo paint and thus
far have only Amaranth Red Model Color that I ordered from
Walmart of all places
(last bottles so the website said), and intend to use as a
starting point for
early PRR freight car color, but I yet to give it a try. 
I’ve found no
retailers in this area that carry the line, and haven’t
found an online retailer
that stocks the Vallejo color charts for Model Air or Model
Color. 
Walthers lists “Acrylicos Vallejo SL” as a manufacturer
on its advanced search,
but lists none of its products!  I’d be interested in
knowing your source
of supply for these paints.

Also, which yellows are you using for FEGX reefers, and
do they pertain to
any particular eras?

Ralph

Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No.
L2532

Griffin
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2019 2:04 AM

Subject: [RealSTMFC] Vallejo Paint
Colors

Group,

i
am not trying to start another ongoing color war, but since
I really enjoy
airbrushing Vallejo paints with my Awata double action
airbrush (I haven’t
enjoyed airbrushing in the past), I thought I would offer
two photos of my crude
test strips. And yes I am a member of ASTM and I know how to
do this the right
way, this is a hobby and I want to relax and unwind. 

I am slowly
collecting Vallejo browns and reds (there are two yellows
for FGEX) to see what
works for me for my freight cars (and cabooses). I think I
included the product
numbers on each to make it is easy to replicate.

The only help I think
this can be for you is if you use the approximation that
Floquil 10074 boxcar
red is a super close match to Vallejo 71271, Model Air
German Red Brown. From
that you could make some assumptions about other colors. 
Or not. The
Vallejo line of railroad colors is limited but there seem to
be many appropriate
colors in their entire line of paints.

I have no affiliation with any
paint or airbrush company, just sharing my preferences and
some information that
some Freight Car Modelers might find helpful. Now I will
duck for cover.

Best Regards,
Bruce Griffin
Ashland, MD, near
Cockeysville.

Charles Happel

Forgot to mention that micro-mark carries most of the line and does a better job of stocking it than Walther's.

Chuck Happel

Make crime pay. Become a lawyer. Will Rogers

On Thu, 1/24/19, Charles Happel via Groups.Io <cghappel2001=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Vallejo Paint Colors
Date: Thursday, January 24, 2019, 5:33 PM

https://acrylicosvallejo.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/catalogue-vallejo-fine-arts-CC012.pdf
is their catalog, the website shows
most of their colors.

Chuck Happel

Make crime pay. Become a lawyer. Will
Rogers

On Thu, 1/24/19, Ralph W. Brown <rbrown51@maine.rr.com>
wrote:

Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Vallejo Paint
Colors
Date: Thursday, January 24, 2019, 4:54
PM

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the info and the images. 
I’m new to
Vallejo paint and thus
far have only Amaranth Red Model Color
that I ordered from
Walmart of all places
(last bottles so the website said),
and intend to use as a
starting point for
early PRR freight car color, but I yet
to give it a try. 
I’ve found no
retailers in this area that carry the
line, and haven’t
found an online retailer
that stocks the Vallejo color charts
for Model Air or Model
Color. 
Walthers lists “Acrylicos Vallejo
SL” as a manufacturer
on its advanced search,
but lists none of its products! 
I’d be interested in
knowing your source
of supply for these paints.

Also, which yellows are you using for
FEGX reefers, and
do they pertain to
any particular eras?

Ralph

Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No.
L2532

Griffin
Sent: Thursday, January 24, 2019 2:04
AM

Subject: [RealSTMFC] Vallejo Paint
Colors

Group,

i
am not trying to start another ongoing
color war, but since
I really enjoy
airbrushing Vallejo paints with my
Awata double action
airbrush (I haven’t
enjoyed airbrushing in the past), I
thought I would offer
two photos of my crude
test strips. And yes I am a member of
ASTM and I know how to
do this the right
way, this is a hobby and I want to
relax and unwind. 

I am slowly
collecting Vallejo browns and reds
(there are two yellows
for FGEX) to see what
works for me for my freight cars (and
cabooses). I think I
included the product
numbers on each to make it is easy to
replicate.

The only help I think
this can be for you is if you use the
approximation that
Floquil 10074 boxcar
red is a super close match to Vallejo
71271, Model Air
German Red Brown. From
that you could make some assumptions
about other colors. 
Or not. The
Vallejo line of railroad colors is
limited but there seem to
be many appropriate
colors in their entire line of paints.

I have no affiliation with any
paint or airbrush company, just
sharing my preferences and
some information that
some Freight Car Modelers might find
helpful. Now I will
duck for cover.

Best Regards,
Bruce Griffin
Ashland, MD, near
Cockeysville.

Lester Breuer

Scott asked Bruce about Micro Mark box car red paint by Vallejo and Mineral Red replacement.  I have attached a chart of my swatches.  You can decide if these help answer your questions.  I hope Bruce it is ok to add my experience here.
Lester Breuer

Dave Parker

I have purchased Vallejo paints at my LHS, at Hobby Lobby, and from Amazon.  The Model Air formulation is not nearly as common as the Model Color, but I don't mind thinning the latter to suit.

Across the line, there are quite few colors that could be useful as a "freight car red".

Dave Parker
Riverside, CA

G.J. Irwin

is their catalog, the website shows most of their colors.

Charles, thanks for this information.  I've only seen the really small bottles of Vallejo where I've seen anything at all, so this is helpful.  I'm not looking in the right places!

George Irwin

Bill Welch

Thank you for this link George. i have their model Hobby Paint charts for both Model Aire and Model Color. I had no idea they were such a diverse company paint wise. Really good to see such a company in the Hobby Paint business.

Bill Welch

Ken Adams

Last year I did some experimentation on how to replicate SP box car red without an air brush. I found a combination of Tamiya Red Oxide primer from a spray can and a thin over wash of Vallejo Model Color 70.982 Cavalry Brown worked very well to replicate the elusive post world war 2 synthetic oxide red color.  My experiments can be found at https://srandsp.blogspot.com/2018/05/more-on-sp-freight-car-red-from-rattle.html and preceding blogs. 

I am extremely impressed with Vallejo model paints used along with the Tamiya spray can primers. They have eliminated my need for an air brush for nearly all applications. 

Unfortunately supply has become an issue. My local hobby shop cannot support the range of Vallejo paints in addition to TruColor ,Tamiya, and Scalecoat.  My best supply in the past has been War Games shops that also support war gamer figure modeling. Unfortunately these are getting rarer too. Hobby Lobby (ugh) carried the Vallejo model air and model color for a while but cut back and doubled the price recently.  The nearest war game supply is about 30 miles away.  The distance doesn't allow much more experimentation as does ordering over the internet.   

Bruce Griffin

Scott,

I haven’t looked at the Micro-Mark choices, thank you for sharing the link, I will check it out. There were twenty browns on Amazon for $5-$7 delivered so I started there. I checked I don’t have a bottle of PollyScale Mineral Red to paint our a comparison, sorry. 

Best Recards,
Bruce Griffin
Ashland, MD. 

Bruce Griffin

Ralph,

i only found two yellows readily available, but the stock on Amazon changes constantly. Model Air Yellow 71.078 is fairly mustard or golden yellow, while Model Air Medium Yellow 71.002 is a fairly bright yellow. The first seems like a traditional reefer color and a combination might be better for FGEX. I purchased these from Amazon, I use Amazon Prime for its free shipping, TV, and Music applications, so its a bargain for me.  

I would love to hear Bill Welch’s take on the two colors. 

I added a photo photo of the two colors next to a Stanley tape measure with a yellow for a reference. 

Beat Regards,
Bruce Griffin
Ashland, MD

Bruce Griffin

Lester,

Thank you for sharing your photo, I saved it for reference. Like my photo it is a great place to start. The MRH publication on Post Floquil paints is great and is another resource. I believe I will spend less in the long run and have better results the more data I have. There are so many colors for so many types of modeling in the Vallejo lines. 

Best Regards,
Bruce Griffin
Ashland, MD. 

Bruce Griffin

Group,

Let me add one more thing to this conversation about airbrushing freight cars. As I stated I haven’t enjoyed this aspect of the hobby in the past. I watched a video on Trainmaster.TV about airbrushing and found one tool that made the whole process cleaner and easier for me, a spray out pot for $24. Iwata-Medea Universal Spray Out Pot https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DYN6ESG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_lP9sCbG7DJRVK

Any brand should work and it just replaces spraying out excess paint and running thinner through the air brush easier and cleaner versus spraying it into the booth or onto scrap material. That was enough to make it much more enjoyable to clean the airbrush or change the color.  I think having a gravity fed air brush helped as I can squeeze a few drops of paint into the cup and see its viscosity without removing the jar.  Taking Joe Fugate’s advice from the MRH PDF I now really like the squeeze bottles that Vallejo uses and you can buy separately for other paints.  Adds ease and cleanliness for me. I think that is another reason I enjoy the Vallejo products. Airbrushing even a small part now only takes ten minutes total. It is just a preference.  

Thanks for the positive response to my posts about paint colors.  I will post more as I buy more paints and add some colors from my stash of other brands.  

Best Regards,
Bruce Griffin
Ashland, MD  

Scott H. Haycock

Harbor Freight has one for $7.99.

https://www.harborfreight.com/airbrush-cleaning-bottle-68154.html

Scott Haycock
Modeling Tarheel country in the Land of Enchantm
ent

On January 25, 2019 at 9:12 PM Bruce Griffin <bdg1210@...> wrote:

Group,

Let me add one more thing to this conversation about airbrushing freight cars. As I stated I haven’t enjoyed this aspect of the hobby in the past. I watched a video on Trainmaster.TV about airbrushing and found one tool that made the whole process cleaner and easier for me, a spray out pot for $24. Iwata-Medea Universal Spray Out Pot https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DYN6ESG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_lP9sCbG7DJRVK

Any brand should work and it just replaces spraying out excess paint and running thinner through the air brush easier and cleaner versus spraying it into the booth or onto scrap material. That was enough to make it much more enjoyable to clean the airbrush or change the color.  I think having a gravity fed air brush helped as I can squeeze a few drops of paint into the cup and see its viscosity without removing the jar.  Taking Joe Fugate’s advice from the MRH PDF I now really like the squeeze bottles that Vallejo uses and you can buy separately for other paints.  Adds ease and cleanliness for me. I think that is another reason I enjoy the Vallejo products. Airbrushing even a small part now only takes ten minutes total. It is just a preference.  

Thanks for the positive response to my posts about paint colors.  I will post more as I buy more paints and add some colors from my stash of other brands.  

Best Regards,
Bruce Griffin
Ashland, MD  

Bill Welch

Bruce, 

I use Badger's Modelflex Reefer Yellow. I am color blind which in my case means i have a hard time distinguishing some colors—Blue and Purple and Green and Brown—so I am no authority.

Bill Welch

G.J. Irwin

Bill, I can't take credit for posting the link to the Vallejo catalog... earlier in the thread Charles Happel posted it.

Giving credit where it's due...

--George Irwin