Vallejo Paint Colors

Bruce Griffin

Group,

i am not trying to start another ongoing color war, but since I really enjoy airbrushing Vallejo paints with my Awata double action airbrush (I haven’t enjoyed airbrushing in the past), I thought I would offer two photos of my crude test strips. And yes I am a member of ASTM and I know how to do this the right way, this is a hobby and I want to relax and unwind.

I am slowly collecting Vallejo browns and reds (there are two yellows for FGEX) to see what works for me for my freight cars (and cabooses). I think I included the product numbers on each to make it is easy to replicate.

The only help I think this can be for you is if you use the approximation that Floquil 10074 boxcar red is a super close match to Vallejo 71271, Model Air German Red Brown. From that you could make some assumptions about other colors.  Or not. The Vallejo line of railroad colors is limited but there seem to be many appropriate colors in their entire line of paints.

I have no affiliation with any paint or airbrush company, just sharing my preferences and some information that some Freight Car Modelers might find helpful. Now I will duck for cover.

Best Regards,
Bruce Griffin
Ashland, MD, near Cockeysville.

Paul Woods <paul@...>

Thanks for posting these, Bruce - I cannot afford to go buying lots of different colours just to test them, so your chart is a great help to me.

Regards
Paul Woods

Whangarei, NZ
NYCSHS #7172

Scott

Bruce,  have you tested the railroad colors from Micro Mark that Vallejo made for them?

https://www.micromark.com/Vallejo-Acrylic-Paint-Model-Air-1-oz

They are supposed to be matched to polyscale colors.  They dont have mineral red though which is a bummer.  They do have Box car red whichbis pretty tempting.  Have you found a good replacement for polyscale mineral red?

Scott McDonald

gtws00

Bruce,
Thanks for posting your conversion. I have also been using Vallejo Paints and find them to be easy to use and clean. I have both an Iwata Eclipse  and a Grex TG3 that I use a .5mm tip. Both work well with the Vallejo Paint I have used. FYI Vallejo had two types of paint . Model Air that is suppose to be air brush ready and Model Color that is Brush friendly and must be reduced to spray in an Airbrush. I also got some tips on using and mixing advice from Lester Breuer similar to what you have done. I am happy members post mixing results as it does save me money and time.
George Toman

Mark Stamm

MRH has a extensive list of Floquil and Pollyscale paint matches to Vallejo on their website.

Mark P Stamm
Mark at Euphoriatt dot Com

Sent from my mobile device

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for the info and the images.  I’m new to Vallejo paint and thus far have only Amaranth Red Model Color that I ordered from Walmart of all places (last bottles so the website said), and intend to use as a starting point for early PRR freight car color, but I yet to give it a try.  I’ve found no retailers in this area that carry the line, and haven’t found an online retailer that stocks the Vallejo color charts for Model Air or Model Color.  Walthers lists “Acrylicos Vallejo SL” as a manufacturer on its advanced search, but lists none of its products!  I’d be interested in knowing your source of supply for these paints.

Also, which yellows are you using for FEGX reefers, and do they pertain to any particular eras?

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

[...]

Charles Happel

https://acrylicosvallejo.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/catalogue-vallejo-fine-arts-CC012.pdf
is their catalog, the website shows most of their colors.

Chuck Happel

Make crime pay. Become a lawyer. Will Rogers

Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Vallejo Paint Colors
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

[...]

Forgot to mention that micro-mark carries most of the line and does a better job of stocking it than Walther's.

To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Date: Thursday, January 24, 2019, 5:33 PM

https://acrylicosvallejo.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/catalogue-vallejo-fine-arts-CC012.pdf
is their catalog, the website shows