Tank car identity...

Jack Burgess

I posted a photo (of which the attached is only a portion) to the Yosemite Valley Railroad chat list a week ago and one of the members asked me for the identity of the tank car in that photo. I know that the YV hauled a lot of 6,500 Van Dyke tank cars of Bunker C to the upper end of the line but this is certainly not a one of those cars.

Can anyone tell me the tank size and possibly the manufacturer of the tank car. Also, are there any kits available for it?

Thanks…

Jack Burgess

Tom Madden

Looks like the Resin Car Works 8K insulated tank kit would be awfully close.

Tom Madden

brianleppert@att.net

It looks like a UTLX insulated 6500 tank.  The side sills and tank saddles look like the Z-3 design and the single valve on the dome matches 6500 gallon capacity.

Brian Leppert
Carson City, NV

brianleppert@att.net

Jack, there's a color photo of one of these tank cars in your book, page 13.  The yellow lettering can be made out.

Brian Leppert

brianleppert@att.net

In my first reply I should have written X-3 design.  And this would make for a great kit.

Brian Leppert

Steve and Barb Hile

Hi Jack,

While I might be accused of seeing UTLX cars in lots of places, it is likely that this is an insulated X-3 tank car of 6500 gallon capacity, probably carrying asphalt.  This type of car would have been numbered in the 6xxxx range.  I am away from my material and  a copy of the book at the moment, but this is what this car looks like to me.

Hope this helps.
Steve Hile

I posted a photo (of which the attached is only a portion) to the Yosemite Valley Railroad chat list a week ago and one of the members asked me for the identity of the tank car in that photo. I know that the YV hauled a lot of 6,500 Van Dyke tank cars of Bunker C to the upper end of the line but this is certainly not a one of those cars.

Can anyone tell me the tank size and possibly the manufacturer of the tank car. Also, are there any kits available for it?

Thanks…

Jack Burgess

Jack Burgess

Attached is a portion of the photo that Brian mentions which is in my book. The engine has picked this car up at the westbound facing point turnout into National Lead which is behind the train. It was carrying Bunker C for the boiler at the plant. The date on this color photo  is March 27, 1944. I had noticed that the tank car looked a bit “unusual” but didn’t think about it being insulated. Maybe insulated cars were used during the colder months since the Bunker C needed to be above around 90 degrees to flow.

There is no date on the B/W photo but since the car behind the tank car is a gondola car, we know that the photo had to be taken after January 1, 1944 since the first time that gondola cars were used on the YV is after a mine opened up which was shipping zinc concentrates in them.

As a side note, I am sure that the tank car in the B/W photo is a loaded tank car but YV rules mentioned that tank cars had to be at least one car from the locomotive or one car from the caboose. Maybe they didn’t think of Bunker C as being that flammable…

Jack Burgess

Tony Thompson

Jack Burgess wrote:

As a side note, I am sure that the tank car in the B/W photo is a loaded tank car but YV rules mentioned that tank cars had to be at least one car from the locomotive or one car from the caboose. Maybe they didn’t think of Bunker C as being that flammable…

     You can safely extinguish a cigarette in Bunker C. The tank car, UTLX 63055, was a 6373-gallon tank. Just check the tariff!

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Steve and Barb Hile

And, from the 1952 roster in the groups file section, 63055 had Type C heater coils to warm the oil for unloading.  The car was built, originally in 1916 or 17 with the heater coils and insulated jacket added in the 1920's.

Steve Hile

As a side note, I am sure that the tank car in the B/W photo is a loaded tank car but YV rules mentioned that tank cars had to be at least one car from the locomotive or one car from the caboose. Maybe they didn’t think of Bunker C as being that flammable…

     You can safely extinguish a cigarette in Bunker C. The tank car, UTLX 63055, was a 6373-gallon tank. Just check the tariff!

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Jack Burgess

Thanks everyone for the information on the tank car…I’ve passed it along to the YV modeler who wants to model it.

Jack Burgess