RMC

To all - Had dinner with Wayne Wesolowski  yesterday.  He says Steven Priest is out as editor of RMC.  Has anyone heard anything? – Al W.

_._,_._,_

pennsylvania1954

Steven Priest has apparently moved on to Scaletrains.com.

Discussion at Model Railroad Hobbyist here: https://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/node/35319
--
Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

David_Fullerton

Steve Priest has moved to ScaleTrains.com

https://www.scaletrains.com/blogs/company-news/press-release-stephen-priest-joins-scaletrains-com-as-the-marketing-manager

David Fullerton

Doha, Qatar

On January 28, 2019 at 5:56 PM al_westerfield <westerfieldalfred@...> wrote:

To all - Had dinner with Wayne Wesolowski  yesterday.  He says Steven Priest is out as editor of RMC.  Has anyone heard anything? – Al W.

William Hirt

Stephen announced to those of us in Kansas City area last month he taken the position at ScaleTrains. There were a number of factors in his decision (some of which Joe Fugate highlighted in the discussion on the Model Railroad Hobbyist thread someone else posted). Stephen is excited for the opportunity and hopes to do some great things at ScaleTrains. He has done research and design work for most of the major manufacturers in the hobby, so he has a good solid background for his new position at ScaleTrains.

He originally was supposed to start in May, but over the last week I have heard that ScaleTrains has asked him to start in March. So how that affects RMC, I do not know. His layout is still up and is hosting an out of town operating group this coming weekend.

As to who will be taking over as the new editor of RMC, if anyone knows, it has been kept pretty quiet. I've heard some rumors, but nothing concrete. Stephen has built a substantial back log of articles for RMC, so the next editor will have enough material available to keep the magazine running as it currently is while they get their feet on the ground.

Bill Hirt

On 1/28/2019 8:56 AM, al_westerfield wrote:

To all - Had dinner with Wayne Wesolowski  yesterday.  He says Steven Priest is out as editor of RMC.  Has anyone heard anything? – Al W.

 _._,_._,_

tjcataldo

Steven Priest no big lost

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 6:56 AM al_westerfield <westerfieldalfred@...> wrote:

To all - Had dinner with Wayne Wesolowski  yesterday.  He says Steven Priest is out as editor of RMC.  Has anyone heard anything? – Al W.

--
Thomas  j Cataldo

Gary Roe

Thomas,

You are entitled to your own opinion; but I beg to differ.

gary roe
quincy, illinois

On ‎Monday‎, ‎January‎ ‎28‎, ‎2019‎ ‎01‎:‎38‎:‎27‎ ‎PM‎ ‎CST, tjcataldo <cataldotj@...> wrote:

Steven Priest no big lost

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 6:56 AM al_westerfield <westerfieldalfred@...> wrote:

To all - Had dinner with Wayne Wesolowski  yesterday.  He says Steven Priest is out as editor of RMC.  Has anyone heard anything? – Al W.

--
Thomas  j Cataldo

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Friends,

Before this gets out of hand, could we stop this thread. Private opinions about people are supposed to be off-limits.

Thank you.

Garth Groff

On 1/28/19 2:46 PM, Gary Roe wrote:
Thomas,

You are entitled to your own opinion; but I beg to differ.

gary roe
quincy, illinois

On ‎Monday‎, ‎January‎ ‎28‎, ‎2019‎ ‎01‎:‎38‎:‎27‎ ‎PM‎ ‎CST, tjcataldo <cataldotj@...> wrote:

Steven Priest no big lost

On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 6:56 AM al_westerfield <westerfieldalfred@...> wrote:

To all - Had dinner with Wayne Wesolowski  yesterday.  He says Steven Priest is out as editor of RMC.  Has anyone heard anything? – Al W.

--
Thomas  j Cataldo

Dave Lawler

If someone takes over I hope they’ll make it more like the old (Carstens) RMC with more historical articles, scale drawings
and remember that there were railroads East of the Mississippi and also Canada. I just renewed for 2 more years. I hope that’s not lost.

Dave Lawler
Avon Lake, Ohio

If you study each issue, the number of articles is small, with lots of large photos to pad it out to 100 pages.  I don’t know Mr. Priest, but Bill Schaumburg, and Tony Koester before him, were very active in conventions and meets, searching out layouts and articles.  I lived nearby, and several times a year I’d visit the RMC office to push articles.  That all stopped when I went into the kit business. – Al Westerfield

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

If someone takes over I hope they’ll make it more like the old (Carstens) RMC with more historical articles, scale drawings

and remember that there were railroads East of the Mississippi and also Canada. I just renewed for 2 more years. I hope that’s not lost.

Dave Lawler

Avon Lake, Ohio

Jerry Michels

Curios comments from Al.  I take it you read the extensive, multi-part article on the MP U30C?  Seen the excellent drawings by Dr. Muff?  The increased emphasis on electronics?  A couple of years ago there was an extensive set of articles on scratchbuilding a steam locomotive in brass.  Amazingly, their cover photos even show weathered locomotives!

Of course there are always ways a magazine can be improved, but all these barbs being slung about no big loss, short articles, padding seem unfounded.I definitely prefer the direction Stephen took the magazine in the last few years since White River bought the company.  The railroad-related magazines published by White River cover an extensive, balanced, and broad-spectrum of interests.

Jerry Michels

William Hirt

RMC has printed on a regular basis freight car drawings again (most beyond the time scope of this group). I know because I made several positive comments to Stephen about this returning to RMC.

As someone who has edited more than a few work and club monthly or quarterly publications, an editor can only print what they have (I can visualize other editor's heads nodding). They can make suggestions to folks about articles they would like to have to print, but that does not always bear fruit. Then there are some people who enjoy writing, figure out what is needed by a publication, and write articles that are regularly published that are based on their interests. The small editorial staffs these days do not have the time to write a lot of articles because they do more than just editorial duties now.

Many of the articles that White River received from Carstens had aged out (new techniques had surpassed what the article discussed/products used or described are no longer available/etc.), so they had to build rapidly a new article collection for the publication to fill the magazine. The next editor will be in better shape than when White River took over in that RMC has built a backlog of current articles that can be published.

Each editor places their own stamp on the article content of a publication, so I would expect some changes when the next editor takes over.

Bill Hirt

On 1/28/2019 7:56 PM, Dave Lawler wrote:
If someone takes over I hope they’ll make it more like the old (Carstens) RMC with more historical articles, scale drawings
and remember that there were railroads East of the Mississippi and also Canada. I just renewed for 2 more years. I hope that’s not lost.

I thought the MP article, in particular, was far longer than warranted.   Note that I’m not saying it was bad, only that I thought that the lack of more articles was responsible for the use of more space per article.  When you think about it, the “two guys” discussion and Bob Walker tips are usually responsible for 8-10 pages every issue, there must be a dearth of quality submissions.   It’s clear that RMC wants to have exactly 100 pages per issue, and will pad to accomplish it.

This is an editorial decision.  It says nothing about the quality of the content.  I wasn’t complaining, only making an observation based on 40 years of subscribing.  RMC remains my favorite mag. – Al Westerfield

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Curios comments from Al.  I take it you read the extensive, multi-part article on the MP U30C?  Seen the excellent drawings by Dr. Muff?  The increased emphasis on electronics?  A couple of years ago there was an extensive set of articles on scratchbuilding a steam locomotive in brass.  Amazingly, their cover photos even show weathered locomotives!

Of course there are always ways a magazine can be improved, but all these barbs being slung about no big loss, short articles, padding seem unfounded.I definitely prefer the direction Stephen took the magazine in the last few years since White River bought the company.  The railroad-related magazines published by White River cover an extensive, balanced, and broad-spectrum of interests.

Jerry Michels

Benjamin Hom

Al Westerfield wrote:
"I thought the MP article, in particular, was far longer than warranted."

You haven't sat in one his clincs...
Brian's work is fascinating as he captures details that few others have noted, much less bothered to model.

Ben Hom

Douglas Harding

I would agree with everything Bill says. Each editor does put their mark on their publication. I worked many years with Bill Schaumburg, he worked hard to recruit authors from other parts of the country, trying to downplay the NE bias many felt RMC had. Again an editor can only publish what is submitted to them. Carstens, unlike Kalmback, did not produce much in-house material. The operation was very dependent upon outside third party writers. But in the last years while owned by Carstens authors were not getting paid by Henry Carstens (Schaumburg had nothing to do with issuing checks). Not getting paid meant articles shopped showing up at RMC’s office, so yes there was very little to pass on to White River. No articles means no magazine. White River started paying authors, but stopped the practice of paying for product reviews. If you look at early issues under Priest you will see his name on a lot of articles and he began recruiting articles from people he knew, those in Kansas City and the Santa Fe community.

I’ve also known Steve Priest for some time. Last summer I asked about sending him some articles and he responded he would print anything I sent him. And for what it’s worth Joe Fugate has said the same when I’ve spoken with him. I just haven’t finished writing them.

So it’s up to us. If you want to see something in a publication, you need to write it, or find someone who can. And just so you know, and to keep this on freight car focus,  I recently wrote an article on M&StL refrigerator cars, prototype and modeling, that was published in the latest issue (#4 2018) of the North Western Lines, publication of the Chicago & North Western Historical Society.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org