From: Benjamin Hom
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 3:00 PM
To: STMFC
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Throwback Thursday: Westerfield

Railroad Model Craftsman, October 1982 issue, ad for the first four offerings from Westerfield.

Ben Hom

Tom Madden

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 05:10 PM, al_westerfield wrote:

The first of 29 years of monthly ads.  Believe it or not, I still ran into people at train shows that had never heard of us. – Al Westerfield

A couple of years ago the long-time newsletter editor for our local club, who's been in the hobby for decades, asked what companies used my cast resin parts. I mentioned Sunshine Models, Resin Car Works and Bethlehem Car Works. He said he'd never heard of any of them. Sometimes it gets lonely.....

Tom Madden

Tim O'Connor

Al, did you ever tally the total production of kits you sold over the years?

Tim O'

On 1/31/2019 7:10 PM, al_westerfield wrote:

The first of 29 years of monthly ads.  Believe it or not, I still ran into people at train shows that had never heard of us. – Al Westerfield

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Railroad Model Craftsman, October 1982 issue, ad for the first four offerings from Westerfield.

Ben Hom

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Jerry Michels

Hmmm, I was certain I bought some of the original Westerfield kits before 1982.  My first kit was the UP 50' boxcar.  Jerry Michels

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Tim,

A more interesting statistic might be how many of Al's (and Martin's) kits were actually assembled, and how many still languish in various "unbuilt" piles. ;-)

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 1/31/19 9:54 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

Al, did you ever tally the total production of kits you sold over the years?

Tim O'

On 1/31/2019 7:10 PM, al_westerfield wrote:

The first of 29 years of monthly ads.  Believe it or not, I still ran into people at train shows that had never heard of us. – Al Westerfield

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Railroad Model Craftsman, October 1982 issue, ad for the first four offerings from Westerfield.

Ben Hom

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

mopacfirst

Like my friend Jerry, my first resin kit was the UP 50' box.  Only after I built and painted it did I realize it was way too old for what I was then planning.  So the car is still here, still sitting on the shelt, but it's built.  And it's still too old for my modeling era.

While I know there are lots of unbuilt stashes of these kits, one thing from my personal experience is that some people, myself specifically, bought cars that were really out of our era because we were so anxious to build anything that wasn't blue box level that we'd take whatever was available.  I've been eBay-ing some that I know are not right for me, while fishing others out of the stash and actually getting some of them built.  The Sunshine especially, since they're no longer available, are selling consistently, so somebody wants them even if they may only be transferring to a different stash.

Back to building -- I took a foreign assignment in 1986 and took some Westerfield kits with me.  That original resin was a problem, and I ended up breaking one car (side, roof, I don't remember) in half while I was struggling with it.  That one for sure was never finished.  I'm pretty sure one or two came back built, although I wasn't able to paint anything there.  I did break one USRA double-sheathed car side in half with small splinters, later when I was back home, and glued it back together such that you can't tell there was a break.  That one's still on the railroad.

Ron Merrick

For what it is worth, I have built about sixty resin freight car kits, all HO, for my model railroad.  Right now I have no unbuilt kits.  I build them when I buy them.  HTG

Steve Salotti

Hi Hugh,
I guess I'm with you.  I have about 60 resin cars, passenger and freight, from most of the producers, with all of them except one (waiting for replacement decals) built and on the layout. Too much fun to build and operate them than leave them in boxes.

Steve Salotti

Ken O'Brien

Doesn't matter if it's an old style NMRA member (vestie) or a plain old member (POM) at our local train club. We car builders are a small minority. My club has about 100 members now, with most members being retired guys "who had trains when they were kids" and now, 50-60 years later want to play with trains again. Great, we'll mentor you in the basics and if you want we'll show you how to  build a basic layout. We start out with great enthusiasm and a nice group of 10-12 guys. for a layout. In a month, we're down to 3-4 guys.

We do have a small minority of builders, maybe 5-6 guys, in the club. I have brought in current resin and plastic freight cars and offered to mentor other folks in construction, as have one or two other club members. Maybe 1 guy has expressed interest. .One of our members has a very extensive collection of freight car photos, which he has taken over the years, that he has been digitizing. He shows up occasionally with a flash drive full of his recent work and we hard core builders get razzed for watching "train porn". I remember the tan colored F&C cars (USRA DS box) and the metal filled Westerfield cars. And they actually fit my 1953 modeling time frame. I'm slowly getting them done.

Jerry Michels

Like Ron,  I bought almost everything Westerfield because at that time I was seriously considering modeling the Missouri Pacific in the 1920s, so they were right down my alley.  It took awhile to get the feel of using the metal-filled polyurethane parts (kind of like building with glass).  I kept most of my models, some are run behind a back-dated MP 2-8-2 when I want the feel of a 1920s freight.  I got a real addiction to Heinz cars, and bought and built about 10 of them before selling them off.  I moved to the transition era, and then started buying and building Sunshine kits.

As to unbuilt kits, the only ones I have are MP stockcars.  I just don't want to spend the time doing all that sanding.

Jerry Michels

Tony Thompson

     Hadn't thought about this topic in this way. By count, I have 68 resin cars in service, either on the layout or in active storage for use. There are three more cars on the workbench in different stages. The roster cars are mostly Sunshine and Westerfield, but a few from practically everyone else, such as Yankee Clipper, Storzek, F&C, Speedwitch and Southern Car & Foundry.
       My unbuilt stash is about four kits, two of them recently acquired Resin Car Works kits.
       I am not counting any resin cars that I inherited from Richard Hendrickson, though in fact he didn't built that many. He really loved kitbashing and a great many of his completed cars were of that origin.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Paul Doggett

I have 100 resin freight cars on the layout or in active storage I rotate them around I also have four resin Southern Car and Foundry baggage and RPOs and a whole raft of resin kits on the shelf awaiting building mostly Sunshine, several Speedwitch, some Westerfield and one or two others Funaro and Camerlengo, Sylvan and Yarmouth Car Works, enough to see me out 😎😎😎

Paul Doggett England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 1 Feb 2019, at 18:07, Tony Thompson <tony@...> wrote:

     Hadn't thought about this topic in this way. By count, I have 68 resin cars in service, either on the layout or in active storage for use. There are three more cars on the workbench in different stages. The roster cars are mostly Sunshine and Westerfield, but a few from practically everyone else, such as Yankee Clipper, Storzek, F&C, Speedwitch and Southern Car & Foundry.
       My unbuilt stash is about four kits, two of them recently acquired Resin Car Works kits.
       I am not counting any resin cars that I inherited from Richard Hendrickson, though in fact he didn't built that many. He really loved kitbashing and a great many of his completed cars were of that origin.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Steve SANDIFER

Interesting question.

F&C – 22 total, 9 built, 13 kits

NEB&W/Sunshine – 1 kit

Protowest – 2 kits

Southern Car & Foundry – 1 built

Speedwich – 3 kits

Sunshine -56 total, 12 built, 44 kits

Westerfield – 67 total, 29 built, 38 kits

Ugh, why did you have to ask? 51 built sounds pretty good, but 101 kits looks like a bunch of time ahead. They are all on hold as I build a 2nd level to the railroad.

My first resin kit was a Westerfield stock car. Of the built cars, 21 are stock cars and five are tank cars. Three are what I call resin-bashed because I modified the resin kit significantly to make something other than the original design.

J. Stephen Sandifer

Railroad Model Craftsman, October 1982 issue, ad for the first four offerings from Westerfield.

Ben Hom

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Peter Ness

Well, my first resin kit was not Westerfield but F&C. By the time I model, New Haven Class NE cabeese were out of service with exception of C-118 in Tool Train (aka wreck train on other roads) service. I’ve built an RBM Troop sleeper and some non-freight kits but have in the stack some Sunshine, Speedwitch, Westerfield and more F&C.  quite a ways to go…

Peter Ness

     Hadn't thought about this topic in this way. By count, I have 68 resin cars in service, either on the layout or in active storage for use. There are three more cars on the workbench in different stages. The roster cars are mostly Sunshine and Westerfield, but a few from practically everyone else, such as Yankee Clipper, Storzek, F&C, Speedwitch and Southern Car & Foundry.

       My unbuilt stash is about four kits, two of them recently acquired Resin Car Works kits.

       I am not counting any resin cars that I inherited from Richard Hendrickson, though in fact he didn't built that many. He really loved kitbashing and a great many of his completed cars were of that origin.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...

Publishers of books on railroad history

No, I never did.  I was too busy making them.  Likewise, I have no idea of how many kits I assembled for instructions and ads.  Someday, someone else will count them.  However, they will be wrong, because virtually every car has different lettering on the second side.  Some kits had their lettering removed for new lettering when I had no time to build new roadname cars.  And finally, one hopper car has two physically different sides.  It’s not even square.  Nor did I ever count how many different kits I offered, but I think it was well over 450.  I often said I would have to build a point-to-loop layout so I could send a train out and a different one would come back.

I only have 6 cars left, the first four offered and the 10th and 25th anniversary cars.  The rest went to Andrew Dahm when he bought the business.  I also have the first kit from the first production run of each of these 6. - Al Westerfield

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Railroad Model Craftsman, October 1982 issue, ad for the first four offerings from Westerfield.

Ben Hom

Attachments:

·         01B0FBDFF2FC403FABFD0B53365B6F1C.png

Sterling, Massachusetts

Eric Hansmann

I owned a record store in a university town for 13 years. I frequently heard people say they had no idea there was a record store downtown. They just always went to the mall. It happened a few times every year for thirteen years.

Same thing happened to the hobby shop where I used to buy freight car models and supplies but they only lasted four years in the same busy downtown.

Many people aren’t very adventurous.

Eric Hansmann

Murfreesboro, TN