Topics

1942 Miner Hand Brake in HO

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Tim,

"Sheesh. Money ain't what it used to be!"

How very true, but then neither are today's parts.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Sunday, February 3, 2019 3:17 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] 1942 Miner Hand Brake in HO

It's a whole AB brake set including the hand brake equipment. At $13 it
costs much more than
many of my unbuilt freight car kits ever did. Sheesh. Money ain't what
it used to be! ;-)

On 2/3/2019 8:08 AM, gtws00 via Groups.Io wrote:
I found this new 1942 Miner Handbrake kit on the Arrowhead Models website. I have no affiliation with them and just wanted to let others know of it availability. Looks to be the one as modeled on their Hopper Cars.
Web link below.
https://arrowheadmodels.com/collections/shop/products/miner-1942-handbrake-and-appliance-set-ahp-9001

GeorgeToman

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Tim O'Connor

It's a whole AB brake set including the hand brake equipment. At $13 it costs much more than
many of my unbuilt freight car kits ever did. Sheesh. Money ain't what it used to be! ;-)

On 2/3/2019 8:08 AM, gtws00 via Groups.Io wrote:
I found this new 1942 Miner Handbrake kit on the Arrowhead Models website. I have no affiliation with them and just wanted to let others know of it availability. Looks to be the one as modeled on their Hopper Cars.
Web link below.
https://arrowheadmodels.com/collections/shop/products/miner-1942-handbrake-and-appliance-set-ahp-9001

GeorgeToman
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Blaine

George: thank you for pointing to this!

Ed Hawkins and I have been discussing a potential point of confusion regarding how the appliance kit is labeled. The confusion relates to the combination of Miner 1942-era design hand brake and brake wheel. (Both of which, are accurate in our model of the 1960-built Pullman-Standard H39.) But, the style of brake wheel is not accurate for 1942-era applications. It may be more accurate to state that it is a 1960s era appliance kit for the Miner 1942-era design handbrake.

A detail exegesis of hand brakes is covered in a 59-page article in RP CYC volume 10. Of course, I would invite anyone who is interested to read more about these details there.

Ed invited me to point to this fact given that this is a steam era list and the product is labeled 'Miner 1942 Handbrake and Appliance Kit'. I will also be making an amendment to the copy of our website so that we don't invite confusion.

Let us rejoice that the hobby is in a place where these kind of precise distinctions are being made!

My best,

Blaine Hadfield
Arrowhead Models

Lester Breuer

Thanks for sharing.
Lester Breuer

gtws00

Web link below.

GeorgeToman