From: Tim O'Connor
Sent: Sunday, February 3, 2019 3:17 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] 1942 Miner Hand Brake in HO

It's a whole AB brake set including the hand brake equipment. At $13 it
costs much more than
many of my unbuilt freight car kits ever did. Sheesh. Money ain't what
it used to be! ;-)

On 2/3/2019 8:08 AM, gtws00 via Groups.Io wrote:
I found this new 1942 Miner Handbrake kit on the Arrowhead Models website. I have no affiliation with them and just wanted to let others know of it availability. Looks to be the one as modeled on their Hopper Cars.
Web link below.
https://arrowheadmodels.com/collections/shop/products/miner-1942-handbrake-and-appliance-set-ahp-9001

GeorgeToman

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Tim O'Connor

It's a whole AB brake set including the hand brake equipment. At $13 it costs much more than
many of my unbuilt freight car kits ever did. Sheesh. Money ain't what it used to be! ;-)

On 2/3/2019 8:08 AM, gtws00 via Groups.Io wrote:
I found this new 1942 Miner Handbrake kit on the Arrowhead Models website. I have no affiliation with them and just wanted to let others know of it availability. Looks to be the one as modeled on their Hopper Cars.
Web link below.
https://arrowheadmodels.com/collections/shop/products/miner-1942-handbrake-and-appliance-set-ahp-9001

GeorgeToman
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Blaine

George: thank you for pointing to this!

Ed Hawkins and I have been discussing a potential point of confusion regarding how the appliance kit is labeled. The confusion relates to the combination of Miner 1942-era design hand brake and brake wheel. (Both of which, are accurate in our model of the 1960-built Pullman-Standard H39.) But, the style of brake wheel is not accurate for 1942-era applications. It may be more accurate to state that it is a 1960s era appliance kit for the Miner 1942-era design handbrake.

A detail exegesis of hand brakes is covered in a 59-page article in RP CYC volume 10. Of course, I would invite anyone who is interested to read more about these details there.

Ed invited me to point to this fact given that this is a steam era list and the product is labeled 'Miner 1942 Handbrake and Appliance Kit'. I will also be making an amendment to the copy of our website so that we don't invite confusion.

Let us rejoice that the hobby is in a place where these kind of precise distinctions are being made!

My best,

Blaine Hadfield
Arrowhead Models

Lester Breuer