Topics

Throwback Tuesday: MDC "Old Timer" Freight Cars

Benjamin Hom

Model Die Casting ad, January 1969 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman.

Patrick Wade

I've taken one of the old MDC diners, plated over the upper windows, repainted it and it is now part of my Santa Fe work train.

Pat Wade
Santa Barbara, CA

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 7:14 AM Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Ben and List Members,

Thanks Ben for the MDC advert.

MDC made a 36ft stock car in both HO and N scales. However, altho they were similar, they were not identical models. The outside sheathing on the upper part of the car sides differed between the HO an N scale models - on the N scale model, looking from top to bottom, there is a group of several boards that form continuous sheathing, then a gap, and then a single outside sheathing board. On the HO model, this last outside sheathing board is not present. After that, on both HO and N, the lower part of the car side is sheathed only on the interior.

I have been searching for a good match for the N scale model, the closest I have come is a CGW prototype as can be seen in the comparison image linked below (hopefully the mile-long link works!):

If anyone has any thoughts on a better prototype match, I'd be very glad to hear about it.

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
To: STMFC
Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2019 10:11 AM
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Throwback Tuesday: MDC "Old Timer" Freight Cars

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Claus,

Outside sheathing to form a letterboard for the railroad's name was not uncommon on earlier stock cars. The 1919 CAR BUILDERS' DICTIONARY (reprinted as Gregg TRAIN SHED CYCLOPEDIA NO. 36) shows two 40' Santa Fe cars of different types (59169 and 55807). It is more common to refer to ATSF cars by their class numbers, but those are not given. I'm sure the Santa Fe gurus will step in here. 

Also shown is a Clinchfield 36' car (2499) that was fairly close to the MDC car, and might have been its inspiration. I said "fairly close", but not exact.

I had one of these stock cars in their earliest incarnation with separate wire grabs, was well as a couple of the boxcars. Nice models for the time, but now I see how clunky the tooling was from the picture. I guess we've been spoiled over the years. I sold off my HO standard gauge while I was in college and my early service days to play narrow gauge in HOn3 and later real On2. When I came back to HO, these cars had been retooled with cast-on grabs and ladders. I was greatly disappointed.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 2/6/19 8:26 PM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) wrote:

Hi Ben and List Members,

MDC made a 36ft stock car in both HO and N scales. However, altho they were similar, they were not identical models. The outside sheathing on the upper part of the car sides differed between the HO an N scale models - on the N scale model, looking from top to bottom, there is a group of several boards that form continuous sheathing, then a gap, and then a single outside sheathing board. On the HO model, this last outside sheathing board is not present. After that, on both HO and N, the lower part of the car side is sheathed only on the interior.

I have been searching for a good match for the N scale model, the closest I have come is a CGW prototype as can be seen in the comparison image linked below (hopefully the mile-long link works!):

If anyone has any thoughts on a better prototype match, I'd be very glad to hear about it.

Claus Schlund

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Garth and List Members,

Thanks Garth for the additional info. It seems that perhaps an accurate model of Clinchfield 2499 can be made starting with the MDC N scale model and making some modifications.

I will also add that the book "Stock Car Cyclopedia Volume 1" by Hundman has several pages with pictures of early stock cars that are close (but not exact) to both the HO and N MDC models - see link below to help identify the book:

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2019 5:18 AM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Throwback Tuesday: MDC "Old Timer" Freight Cars

Claus,

Outside sheathing to form a letterboard for the railroad's name was not uncommon on earlier stock cars. The 1919 CAR BUILDERS' DICTIONARY (reprinted as Gregg TRAIN SHED CYCLOPEDIA NO. 36) shows two 40' Santa Fe cars of different types (59169 and 55807). It is more common to refer to ATSF cars by their class numbers, but those are not given. I'm sure the Santa Fe gurus will step in here. 

Also shown is a Clinchfield 36' car (2499) that was fairly close to the MDC car, and might have been its inspiration. I said "fairly close", but not exact.

I had one of these stock cars in their earliest incarnation with separate wire grabs, was well as a couple of the boxcars. Nice models for the time, but now I see how clunky the tooling was from the picture. I guess we've been spoiled over the years. I sold off my HO standard gauge while I was in college and my early service days to play narrow gauge in HOn3 and later real On2. When I came back to HO, these cars had been retooled with cast-on grabs and ladders. I was greatly disappointed.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 2/6/19 8:26 PM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) wrote:

Hi Ben and List Members,

Claus Schlund

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Claus,

I suppose it depends on your era, though it seems like kind of an odd-ball car. Obviously Clinchfield stock cars were around before 1919. The only complete ORER is have is for 1958, and there are no stock cars listed for the Clinchfield. That said, their 2000-series of pulpwood cars have a nominal 36' inside length, and might have been converted from the stock cars. When this could have happened, I don't know. The Clinchfield is not a line I know much about.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 2/7/19 9:25 AM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) wrote:

Hi Garth and List Members,

Thanks Garth for the additional info. It seems that perhaps an accurate model of Clinchfield 2499 can be made starting with the MDC N scale model and making some modifications.

I will also add that the book "Stock Car Cyclopedia Volume 1" by Hundman has several pages with pictures of early stock cars that are close (but not exact) to both the HO and N MDC models - see link below to help identify the book:

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2019 5:18 AM

Claus,

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

G.J. Irwin

If I recall correctly, fellow N Scaler Claus' Approximate Time Period more closely aligns with the October 1919 ORER, which shows 290 cars in the Clinchfield (CC&O) series 2400 to 2699. 

I have the Stock Car Cyclopedia Claus mentioned-- I believe that I found it at an Ollie's (!) as part of their remainder book pile.  It has a large number of photos and some familiar names among the authors-- John Nehrich and Martin Lofton, for example.   I can't speak for the MDC model, but there are prototype photos for two other N Scale offerings-- the ancient Arnold/Rapido Iron Mountain stock car and the Micro-Trains 35000/035 series Despatch Stock Car, which is a New York Central rebuild as previously noted here and elsewhere.

George Irwin
"I still don't know what I don't know about freight cars"

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi George, Garth, and List Members,

George is completely correct, the MDC 36ft cars generally work very well for my chosen 1929 era.

George is also correct in that the 'ancient Arnold/Rapido Iron Mountain stock car' make a very nice model, my rendition can be seen in the image linked below...

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2019 11:24 AM

If I recall correctly, fellow N Scaler Claus' Approximate Time Period more closely aligns with the October 1919 ORER, which shows 290 cars in the Clinchfield (CC&O) series 2400 to 2699. 

I have the Stock Car Cyclopedia Claus mentioned-- I believe that I found it at an Ollie's (!) as part of their remainder book pile.  It has a large number of photos and some familiar names among the authors-- John Nehrich and Martin Lofton, for example.   I can't speak for the MDC model, but there are prototype photos for two other N Scale offerings-- the ancient Arnold/Rapido Iron Mountain stock car and the Micro-Trains 35000/035 series Despatch Stock Car, which is a New York Central rebuild as previously noted here and elsewhere.

George Irwin

Charlie Vlk

Claus-

Wow!!  A rare Bachmann C16a !!!

Not too many of these made it to North America!  

Almost as rare as the Rivarossi C16!!!

Charlie Vlk

George is completely correct, the MDC 36ft cars generally work very well for my chosen 1929 era.

George is also correct in that the 'ancient Arnold/Rapido Iron Mountain stock car' make a very nice model, my rendition can be seen in the image linked below...

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

George Irwin

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Charlie and List Members,

Yes, correct ID on that.

I'm quite happy with it, good runner after I did some work on it.

Claus Schlund

Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2019 4:50 PM

Claus-

Wow!!  A rare Bachmann C16a !!!

Not too many of these made it to North America!  

Almost as rare as the Rivarossi C16!!!

Charlie Vlk

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

George Irwin