Topics

Throwback Tuesday: MDC "Old Timer" Freight Cars

Benjamin Hom

Model Die Casting ad, January 1969 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman.

Patrick Wade

I've taken one of the old MDC diners, plated over the upper windows, repainted it and it is now part of my Santa Fe work train.

Pat Wade
Santa Barbara, CA

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 7:14 AM Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:
Model Die Casting ad, January 1969 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman.

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Ben and List Members,

Thanks Ben for the MDC advert.

MDC made a 36ft stock car in both HO and N scales. However, altho they were similar, they were not identical models. The outside sheathing on the upper part of the car sides differed between the HO an N scale models - on the N scale model, looking from top to bottom, there is a group of several boards that form continuous sheathing, then a gap, and then a single outside sheathing board. On the HO model, this last outside sheathing board is not present. After that, on both HO and N, the lower part of the car side is sheathed only on the interior.

I have been searching for a good match for the N scale model, the closest I have come is a CGW prototype as can be seen in the comparison image linked below (hopefully the mile-long link works!):

If anyone has any thoughts on a better prototype match, I'd be very glad to hear about it.

Claus Schlund