Question on height to eaves

Dave Nelson

I have long assumed that the ORER column of data titled Height to Eaves was a measurement between the railhead and the top edge of the car side and not to any edge of the roof panels, which may put you 2-3 inches higher.  Today, while examining a cross section drawing of a MDT reefer, taking how the lowest edge of the roof panel was on a line directly above the car side, the thought occurred to me that were it a house instead of a reefer, the word eaves would be a reference to the visible bottom of the roof.  Taking that notion back to the MDT reefer raises a question about where are  the eaves?

Obviously that car is not a house but this question remains in my mind: Is Height to Eaves a measurement between the railhead and the top edge of the car side or is it a measurement between the railhead and the lowest edge of the roof panels, in this case that is a straight line across the roof panels to the center line?

Dave Nelson

Guy Wilber

Dave,

The “Key Pages” of The ORER have diagrams and explanations which will answer your questions.

Guy Wilber
Reno, Nevada