Throwback Tuesday: MDC 50 ft SS Automobile Boxcars

Benjamin Hom

The most accurate freight car models ever done by MDC; ad from the March 1995 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman.

Ben Hom

Jon Miller <atsfus@...>

On 2/12/2019 11:31 AM, Benjamin Hom wrote:
The most accurate freight car models ever done by MDC; ad from the March 1995 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman.

Ben,

    I thought the #2141 (WP) was also very good.  Same run except with end doors.  Anyway I waited years to get one (a few weeks ago) as when I tried to buy it everyone was out.

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Tony Thompson

Naturally they lettered it for foodie roads, but it did match some of them. Richard Hendrickson did nice articles for RMJ on upgrading the models for the roads they matched.
Tony Thompson

Tony Thompson wrote:
"Richard Hendrickson did nice articles for RMJ on upgrading the models for the roads they matched."

July 1995 and July 1996 issues of Railmodel Journal:

Ben Hom

Ken Adams

I just acquired one of the MDC kits #2118 lettered for the Illinois Central. It has the conventional ends with one end having a lumber door and wood double doors. This would have been fine on my early 1950's SP San Ramon branch converted back to WP as a lumber car inadvertently loaded for an SP destination. Shippers routing GN-WP-SN for SP delivery?

I reviewed both Train Model Journal articles from Richard Hendrickson in addition to the Resin Car works blogs and they are mostly concerned with the automobile loading versions and conversions. I did not see anything about the wood door lumber version and which roads actually used this car for lumber service. I thought the MDC originals were modeled from WP cars. The available Microscale decal set MC-4266 is for automobile cars too. I lack any real expertise in the WP even though I live close to the Antioch and Eastern/SN line and don't have the resources readily available to do detail investigation on their boxcar fleet. Eating too much octopus/calamari is my only excuse.

Any information about the prototype lumber version of the MDC car and whether there was an actual WP car like it would be helpful. And would the MC-4266 decal set work.

For rebuilding I am planning to replace the steps and roofwalk. For the ladders, I am going to try the technique of just carving out the rungs and replacing them with .010 plastic rod. Other grab irons would of course be replaced. Unless someone has come up with a method of minimizing the deep groves in the side boards, I will live with that.

Ken Adams

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Ken,

You are correct that most material on these cars seems to concentrate on the automobile versions. The cars built for lumber/general service get little mention. This includes John Ryczkowski's article in March 1995 MM.

However, the general arrangement drawings for both types, and all the rebuilt variants can be found at https://www.wplives.com .

All of the WP 50' SS boxcars had steel doors their whole lives.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 2/23/19 7:22 PM, Ken Adams wrote:

[...]

mopacfirst

Somewhere, I don't recall on which thread, someone expressed surprise that there was a single door version.  Big surprise to me too, but I could use a T&P version.  Lo and behold, eBay came through.  There was exactly one available amongst probably a dozen of the double door version.

Now the model I built at the time has 3-3 ends without a lumber door on the A end.  So there must have been yet another variation.  Unfortunately, the typical eBay listing only has one side photo, not enough to tell what the ends are.

I too would love to have a technique for making the side grooves disappear.  I wonder if ACC might fill them.  My objective is a steel-sided rebuild.

Ron Merrick

Ken Adams

Thanks Garth

"All of the WP 50' SS boxcars had steel doors their whole lives."

I guess that leaves me with an attractive foobie unless someone knows of a close prototype with wood doors.

best

Ken Adams

Tony Thompson

Ken Adams wrote:

I reviewed both Train Model Journal articles from Richard Hendrickson in addition to the Resin Car works blogs and they are mostly concerned with the automobile loading versions and conversions. I did not see anything about the wood door lumber version and which roads actually used this car for lumber service.

      Ken, the AAR defined double-door box cars as "automobile" cars, regardless of how they were used. Railroads often ordered batches of such cars with some having auto loaders, others not. But all the cars would be lettered "Automobile" because that was the definition, whether or not they were used for autos or auto parts. And even the ones with loaders were often the "stowable" kind of Evans or other racks, so that the car could be used for other cargo by folding the rack up against the ceiling.
        Double-door cars were very handy for lumber loading of longer boards, more so than the small "lumber door" on car ends. I would say the railroads that used "automobile" cars for lumber were any railroads that shipped lumber.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Ken Adams

Edited

Tony

I realized that a while ago when I was looking for older 50' SP box cars in SP Freight Cars Volume 4 only to find them in Volume 3.

Still looking for a prototype for the wood door MDC SS 50 foot car.

ken

Bill Welch

The Missouri Pacific's versions had wood doors.

Bill Welch

mopacfirst

According to the 1951 diagrams, there were still a few MP cars remaining that had wood doors.  But by that date, almost all of them had been converted to Youngstown steel doors.  The only ones still listed then were end door cars 89018 and 89024,

Ron Merrick

Bill Welch

The MP model I built had the end doors. Regarding dates models I build are always subject to "modeler's license."

Bill Welch

O Fenton Wells

According to RMJ article in the July 1996 issue by Richard Hendrickson, MP had cars in the 89070-89169 series with Youngstown doors.
Fenton

On Mon, Feb 25, 2019 at 12:41 PM Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:
The MP model I built had the end doors. Regarding dates models I build are always subject to "modeler's license."

Bill Welch

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Jeffrey White

Ken,

IC 163001-163050 built in 1926 by Pullman in Michigan City renumbered to 40100-40149 in 1942. According to the diagram sheet they had metal bottom door panels, universal handbrakes and metal lat. R.B. supports added then.  According to the 1960 IC equipment list 19 were still in service on 1 Jan 1960.

Unfortunately I don't have a photo. I can send you a copy of the diagram sheet.

Jeff White

Alma, IL

On 2/24/2019 3:40 PM, Ken Adams wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Tony

I realized that a while ago when I was looking for older 50' SP box cars in SP Freight Cars Volume 4 only to find them in Volume 3.

Still looking for a prototype for the wood door MDC SS 50 foot car.

ken

Allan Smith

There is a photo of 40142 IN Classic Freight Cars Vol 8 P 33.

Al Smith
Sonora CA

Bill Welch

It has been a long time since I built my MP and WP models which was soon after the articles appeared in both MM and RMJ and then several years later I built my T&P and Frisco models w/the MDC kits so I am going from memory but the reason I decided to those four roads versions was dictated by the Radial roof on the MDC model. Several other 50-foot SS cars were discussed in the articles but the roof and bracing arrangement on the MDC kit is only correct for MP, WP, SL-SF and T&P. The Frisco model required replacing with "B" end w/a different Dreadnaught end that was kindly furnished by Rocket Express while T&P model required replacing the modeled on Single 8-foot Youngstown door with scratch built Superior doors. These two models are cover in Vol 3 of Speedwitch's Modeling Journal.

Hopefully I am remembering correctly.

Bill Welch

Andy Carlson

Also, the MP/T&P cars did not have the lower side sill fishbelly extension that the WP cars had. When I made my own resin WP cars I felt that the lower side sill extension could simply be removed to make an accurate MP car.

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA
On Monday, February 25, 2019, 1:06:12 PM PST, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

It has been a long time since I built my MP and WP models which was soon after the articles appeared in both MM and RMJ and then several years later I built my T&P and Frisco models w/the MDC kits so I am going from memory but the reason I decided to those four roads versions was dictated by the Radial roof on the MDC model. Several other 50-foot SS cars were discussed in the articles but the roof and bracing arrangement on the MDC kit is only correct for MP, WP, SL-SF and T&P. The Frisco model required replacing with "B" end w/a different Dreadnaught end that was kindly furnished by Rocket Express while T&P model required replacing the modeled on Single 8-foot Youngstown door with scratch built Superior doors. These two models are cover in Vol 3 of Speedwitch's Modeling Journal.

Hopefully I am remembering correctly.

Bill Welch
_._,_._,_\

Ken Adams

Thanks for everybody's input.

Looks like I am left with a choice of removing and replacing the doors with steel panel doors and building it into a proper WP car or cutting off the fishbelly side frame  extension and creating an MP car. It would be harder to justify an MP car arriving with a lumber load at the Adams Lumber Company in Walnut Creek (no relation but it really existed according to the Sanborn map) about 1950 than a WP loaded car which would have been interchanged to the SP at Antioch for a short destination switching move of 15 miles. I am tailoring my freight fleet around what would actually have been seen on moves on the SP San Ramon branch 1947-54. That means I won't go out and buy everything I like.as I have limited storage in a townhouse/apartment.

Then again I am fascinated by the technological achievement from Yarmouth with those wavy looking sheet metal car sides.  Problem is they will look out of place alongside cars with flat sheet metal sides. Or make the flat sides look toylike in comparison.

I will store the car unmodified and will trade it at the June BAPM if anyone wants it in exchange for a steel door WP 50 foot OB MDC car. Not worth the postage for a long distance swap with an MP fan.

Ken Adams

Fred Jansz

This is a MDC WP 2.5 door kitbash I did two years ago. WP 19208, converted by WP in 1937. Ran into the 1950's.
See Ted's SEFCRM Vol3 Reefer book, page 14 and you'll find two of these RARE birds in a yard surrounded by gons and ART reefers.
Fred Jansz