Topics

Throwback Tuesday: MDC 50 ft SS Automobile Boxcars

Tim O'Connor

There's a single door car?? I didn't know that ! Or I have forgotten about it. :-[

Didn't Brian Leppert and Page Porter work there at that time?

Tim O'

On 2/12/2019 2:31 PM, Benjamin Hom wrote:
The most accurate freight car models ever done by MDC; ad from the March 1995 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman.

Ben Hom

Attachments:

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

mopacfirst

I didn't know that either.  The T&P converted some cars to single door, but they may have also gotten steel sides in place of the wood.  A number of T&P double door cars also got steel sides, and at least a couple of the MP cars.  I haven't figured out how to do that one yet.

I used a couple of these cars as a source for fishbelly boxcar underframes to go under the 86100 and 88300 series express cars (Walthers model, based on Life-Like / Proto) and the 88400 series which stayed as freight cars their whole life.  So I have a couple extra bodies to experiment with.

Ron Merrick

Richard Townsend

Ron, you wrote 
used a couple of these cars as a source for fishbelly boxcar underframes to go under the 86100 and 88300 series express cars (Walthers model, based on Life-Like / Proto) and the 88400 series which stayed as freight cars their whole life.  So I have a couple extra bodies to experiment with.
Can you tell me more about these kitbashes? I cut up a couple of the MDC cars to get the roofs and ends, so I have some extra underframes to work with. Were these bashes involved? 

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

-----Original Message-----
To: main <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Sent: Tue, Feb 12, 2019 2:22 pm
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Throwback Tuesday: MDC 50 ft SS Automobile Boxcars

I didn't know that either.  The T&P converted some cars to single door, but they may have also gotten steel sides in place of the wood.  A number of T&P double door cars also got steel sides, and at least a couple of the MP cars.  I haven't figured out how to do that one yet.

I used a couple of these cars as a source for fishbelly boxcar underframes to go under the 86100 and 88300 series express cars (Walthers model, based on Life-Like / Proto) and the 88400 series which stayed as freight cars their whole life.  So I have a couple extra bodies to experiment with.

Ron Merrick

Bill Welch

Here is my attempt at modeling one of the T&P cars with scratch built Superior doors. I covered this model and Frisco in Speedwitch's Vol 3 Modeling Journal.

Yes the late Paige Porter worked ay MDC during that period and Brian Leppert tooled the molds and was ordered by his boss at MDC to make the board junctions more prominent.

Bill Welch

mopacfirst

Regarding the use of MDC underframes to donate to MP steel 50' double door cars. this is really a simple swap.  The underframe is narrower and shorter than the Proto car, so I used shims on the sides and ends.  I added basic brake detail and rodding, and changed the angle of the crossmembers so the ends are hidden behind the sidesill.  One reason this is necessary is that the reinforcement under the door for both series of MP cars is shorter and narrower than on the model.  All cars had steel grid roofwalks -- I used a Kadee walk on the 88400 series car that stayed in freight service but haven't done that on the express cars yet.  The 88150 series express cars had Commonwealth express trucks with no snubber and plain bearings.  This is the Athearn BX express truck.  It will need at least one Kadee washer.

The underframes I used had a bit of a bow to them, so I glued .250 square tube to them to straighten them out.  The photos illustrate the trimming of the sidesill reinforcement.

Ron Merrick

Tim O'Connor

Very fine work (as always) Bill - I'm especially impressed by your removal of all those cast on
grabs and ladders without destroying the car! I really struggle with that...

Tim O'

On 2/12/2019 7:04 PM, Bill Welch wrote:
Here is my attempt at modeling one of the T&P cars with scratch built Superior doors. I covered this model and Frisco in Speedwitch's Vol 3 Modeling Journal.

Yes the late Paige Porter worked ay MDC during that period and Brian Leppert tooled the molds and was ordered by his boss at MDC to make the board junctions more prominent.

Bill Welch

Attachments:

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Bill Welch

My not so secret weapon/tool for removing things is the Single Edge Razor Blade hled a very shallow angle. Because these are so wide, they do not gig into the surface.

Bill Welch

Doug Pillow

Nice job Doug Pillow