Topics

Throwback Tuesday: MDC 50 ft SS Automobile Boxcars

Tim O'Connor

There's a single door car?? I didn't know that ! Or I have forgotten about it. :-[

Didn't Brian Leppert and Page Porter work there at that time?

Tim O'

On 2/12/2019 2:31 PM, Benjamin Hom wrote:
The most accurate freight car models ever done by MDC; ad from the March 1995 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman.

Ben Hom

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

mopacfirst

I didn't know that either.  The T&P converted some cars to single door, but they may have also gotten steel sides in place of the wood.  A number of T&P double door cars also got steel sides, and at least a couple of the MP cars.  I haven't figured out how to do that one yet.

I used a couple of these cars as a source for fishbelly boxcar underframes to go under the 86100 and 88300 series express cars (Walthers model, based on Life-Like / Proto) and the 88400 series which stayed as freight cars their whole life.  So I have a couple extra bodies to experiment with.

Ron Merrick

Richard Townsend

Ron, you wrote
used a couple of these cars as a source for fishbelly boxcar underframes to go under the 86100 and 88300 series express cars (Walthers model, based on Life-Like / Proto) and the 88400 series which stayed as freight cars their whole life.  So I have a couple extra bodies to experiment with.
Can you tell me more about these kitbashes? I cut up a couple of the MDC cars to get the roofs and ends, so I have some extra underframes to work with. Were these bashes involved?

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR