Topics

ART 15000 Series Questions

Nelson Moyer

I posted these questions on the resinfreightcarbuilders group and got no response, so I’m expanding the pool of experts. I’d like to modify the ends and sides of Westerfield #6001 (ART series 12000-12505) to ART series 15000-16999 if I can resolve a problem with the information on the PDS. The PDS states that the 15000 series had short doors (5’ 10”), but also states that AC&F started using 6’ 6” high doors in 1922, which is the build date for the 15000 series cars. It also states that ‘short’ cast end sills were used, but it also states that these end sill weren’t introduced until 1927, five years after the 15000 series was built. Photos of ART 15252 in the new ART book show short end sills, but I can’t tell if which door height was used from the photo. My questions are, were any 15000 series cars built with ‘full’ end sills like those on the 12000 series cars, and which door height was used on the 15000 series cars? I can’t do the conversion if the 15000 series had short end sills, which would otherwise involve only adding four straps and bolt heads to each corner.

Nelson Moyer

Ted Culotta

Hi Nelson

Sadly, I can’t remember off the top of my head which volume, but there were photos of these cars in the Focus on Freight Cars that covered ART. I’m pretty sure you have that one.

Steve and Barb Hile

Volume 8, reefers number 3 has ART has detail pictures of ART 15551

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ted Culotta
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2019 10:45 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] ART 15000 Series Questions

Hi Nelson

Sadly, I can’t remember off the top of my head which volume, but there were photos of these cars in the Focus on Freight Cars that covered ART. I’m pretty sure you have that one.

Nelson Moyer

Thanks, Ted and Steve. Based upon the photo of 15252 in the ART book, the conversion isn’t possible with scratchbuilding the end sills, which I’m unwilling to do. I’ll see if the other photos show full sills. I’d build the kit as a 12000 series car, but all those cars were retired before my time, a detail I didn’t know about before I bought them second hand. I can always build and sell.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve and Barb Hile
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2019 11:01 AM

Volume 8, reefers number 3 has ART has detail pictures of ART 15551

Steve Hile

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Ted Culotta
Sent: Thursday, February 14, 2019 10:45 AM

Hi Nelson