Flat car vertical brake wheel staff supports.

Ken Adams

I recently opened a box of older HO cars I had built from kits and discovered the flat car brake wheels broken off and the original supports missing.  I started looking for something to replace the missing parts and rebuild/maintain/perform running repairs on 3 early 1950's 53' flat cars. The only separate part I could find was the Tichy #3003 vertical brake staff kit which is good but not really suitable for a 1950's built car. And 2 of the cars I am repairing are Tichy 53' GSC flats. There instructions do not include the brake staff and if I remember this is called an economy kit in which the brake staff and underframe brake gear are not supplied.

I am fabricating "make do" repairs from bits of plastic and the brake wheel from the Tichy vertical brake staff kit.

Is there a readily available part or kit that would be a better way?   I know that for my SP flats a totally different support is apparent in photos and SP Freight Cars volume 3.

Ken

Allen Cain

Not sure that I completely understand the problem but if only the shaft is the problem, I have had good luck cutting off the shaft and drilling a hole to substitute a brass shaft to replace the plastic.  The brass shaft will give if bumped and can easily be bent back into position.  A steel rod would be even more rigid but then if bumped your plastic parts would be the weakest link.

Allen Cain

Ken Adams

Edited

Okay

I realize I wasn't too clear in my earlier frustrated post.

I found my own solution on a Tichy 3003 K Brake Gear sprue,  There is a small brace for a vertical brake staff and the casting for the brake staff for the end beam of the car. Using these I finally (after loosing 2 tries on the floor as they flew from my arthritic old hands) found a workable solution for the GSC flat 53'6 car. Note this car now needs repainting and lettering for some railroad that hasn't been identified. It will be used for lumber traffic between Oregon/Washington and the SF Bay Area,

This is the sprue

And this is the final result, Not quite centered as I shook when adding and did not realize it until the glue (Tamiya clear with green cap) dried. The staff and brake wheel were attached with Plasti-Zap.

Now the next car is more challenging as I need to find the specific brake gear for an SP F-70-6 flat car. I doubt Intermountain has a sprue for sale as it has sold  or transferred their SP flat car line to the SPH&TS who may have originally funded it anyway.

Ken

Charles Happel

To revoke the flying licenses for small parts, I cut them inside a small plastic bag.

Chuck Happel

Make crime pay. Become a lawyer. Will Rogers

Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Flat car vertical brake wheel staff supports.
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Date: Friday, February 15, 2019, 4:18 PM

[Edited Message
Follows]
[...]

Bill Welch

Tichy makes a specific sprue for Flat Cars: https://www.tichytraingroup.com/Shop/tabid/91/c/brake-gear/p/3003/Default.aspx

Bill Welch

Peter Ness

Bill,

Thanks very much for pointing out the sprue for flat cars – I’ve used the AB set so often I haven’t taken the time to see what else is there. Lesson learned!

Peter Ness

Ken Adams

Edited

Correction the Tichy part in the picture is the #3005 K brake sprue.  I used this rather than the Tichy #3003 as that part is a single casting rather than a separate top guide and then the lower part where the staff ends and the chain to the brake cylinder starts.

Exactrail has a very nice representation of the vertical brake wheel mechanism on their 1967 (too late to get it in steam era) 53' 6" GSC flat car. Unfortunately not available as a separate part. This is a photo from their website.

Ken

Ken Adams

A further correction. I am continuing this topic under "Flat Car HORIZONTAL brake wheel staff supports". In a fit of senior dementia I miss labeled the topic as about vertical brake wheel. I should know better.

John Hagen <sprinthag@...>

Well, you may well know better but transferring that knowledge to your typing fingers is another matter entirely.

That said, I may add “nicely done.”

John Hagen