Bad Ladder Day

gary laakso

Here are the results when the Milwaukee had a bad ladder day:

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4769374 

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

earlyrail

Nice view of a MILW ice reefer.
Many of these were painted as medium/light blue.

Howard Garner

Dennis Storzek

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 09:54 AM, earlyrail wrote:
The car is marked ICE SERVICE. In spite of the fact that it does not appear to have a company service number, I believe these were used only in company service.

Earlier the MILW had some wood cars in the same service, painted the same medium blue.

Dennis Storzek

Jack Mullen

Gary, that's a nice find; unusual shot of a very distinctive car.  Besides the damage to both ladders at that corner, the step under the door took a hit. I don't see any other signs of damage on the carbody. I've seen cars with a  ladder or step with similar damage that resulted from somebody trying to use it as a roping staple, but all three?  Really slow learner? ;^)

Jack Mullen

Bruce Smith

Folks,

Can anyone provide some background on this reefer? Hard to miss the horizontal seam. On my browser it almost appears to be shorter than 40'

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...>
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2019 12:24 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Bad Ladder Day

The car is marked ICE SERVICE. In spite of the fact that it does not appear to have a company service number, I believe these were used only in company service.

Earlier the MILW had some wood cars in the same service, painted the same medium blue.

Dennis Storzek

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Bruce,

Milwaukee is hardly my area of expertise, but I enlarged the photo to see whether I read any dimensional data and found nothing helpful.  The car looked a bit short to me as well.  The shot is pretty much a broadside, so after measuring the image length of a wheel (1.5”), which I presume to be 33”, measuring the image length of the car (20 7/8”), and doing the math, I found a calculated length of 38’ 2.15”.  Similarly, the height of the roof above the railhead (excluding the roof walk) worked out to 13’ 3.5”, and the height of the car from the bottom of the floor worked out to 9’ 10.25”.  The car appears to be about halfway between a 36’ reefer and a 40’ reefer.  That strikes me as unusual, don’t you think?

I was also able to read an “ICE CAR” designation, a 70000 capacity, and what appears to be a 7-69 reweigh date.  Whoever speculated that the car was in company service may well have been correct.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

Sent: Friday, February 15, 2019 2:25 PM

Folks,

Can anyone provide some background on this reefer? Hard to miss the horizontal seam. On my browser it almost appears to be shorter than 40'

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Dennis Storzek <destorzek@...>

Dennis Storzek

mopacfirst

Thought I replied to this earlier, but something happened.

The low doors with double latch bars suggest an ex-meat reefer.  The prominent sidesill tabs suggest a fairly late car.  The apparent 36' length also suggests a meat reefer.  So I went looking, and the first photo I looked at is SRLX 15392, a Swift reefer on the cover of the old Classic Freight Cars vol. 3.

Just a possibility.

Ron Merrick

Ralph W. Brown

Hi,

I guess I should clarify that my length measurement was over the end sills.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

Sent: Friday, February 15, 2019 3:34 PM

Hi Bruce,

Milwaukee is hardly my area of expertise, but I enlarged the photo to see whether I read any dimensional data and found nothing helpful.  The car looked a bit short to me as well.  The shot is pretty much a broadside, so after measuring the image length of a wheel (1.5”), which I presume to be 33”, measuring the image length of the car (20 7/8”), and doing the math, I found a calculated length of 38’ 2.15”.  Similarly, the height of the roof above the railhead (excluding the roof walk) worked out to 13’ 3.5”, and the height of the car from the bottom of the floor worked out to 9’ 10.25”.  The car appears to be about halfway between a 36’ reefer and a 40’ reefer.  That strikes me as unusual, don’t you think?

I was also able to read an “ICE CAR” designation, a 70000 capacity, and what appears to be a 7-69 reweigh date.  Whoever speculated that the car was in company service may well have been correct.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

Folks,

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Tim O'Connor

What is the name or designation for that type of door and why are there no models? :-D

Tim O'Connor

On 2/15/2019 12:37 PM, gary laakso wrote:

Here are the results when the Milwaukee had a bad ladder day:

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4769374 

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

Yes blue is company service. The MILW continued to operate orange 40 foot ice reefers into the 1970's.

On 2/15/2019 1:24 PM, Dennis Storzek wrote:

Dennis Storzek

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Scott

The Milwaukee got their reefers from URTX.  The hinges and double latch bars are a feature of those cars for sure.

Scott McDonald

Scott

Does not seem to be too much love for reefers outside of SFRD, PFE and FGEX.

Scott McDonald

Tim O'Connor

40 foot steel ice reefers built by General American in 1934

On 2/15/2019 3:34 PM, Ralph W. Brown wrote:
Hi Bruce,

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

Folks,

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Dennis Storzek

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

Scott

Funny you should say that, since Al Westerfield and Martin Lofton must have produced
100 different reefers that were not any of those! To say nothing of Brian Pate (CP, NP) or
F&C (Canadian brine reefers).

Tim O'Connor

On 2/15/2019 8:24 PM, Scott wrote:

Scott McDonald
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

cptracks

Or for that matter True Line Trains who produced a ton of Canadian 8 hatches in different road names

Colin Riley

On Friday, February 15, 2019, 5:41:06 p.m. PST, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Scott

Funny you should say that, since Al Westerfield and Martin Lofton must
have produced
100 different reefers that were not any of those! To say nothing of
Brian Pate (CP, NP) or

Tim O'Connor

> Does not seem to be too much love for reefers outside of SFRD, PFE and
> FGEX.
>
> Scott McDonald

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

mopacfirst

One more reason I think this car, and I can't generalize beyond this single example, is an ex-Swift car, is that if you look closely at the ends, they appear to be one of those semi-dartnot designs where only one set of darts at the sides of the end is used.  Between every other major corrugation below the topmost one, the end is flat.  That's fairly well visible on the shot of this Milwaukee ice car, and is pretty clear on the similar broadside of the SRLX car I referenced above.  There could have been other meat reefers built this way, so this isn't a positive identification.

Ron Merrick

Bruce Smith

But definitely not the car in question 😉

Regards

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...>
Sent: Friday, February 15, 2019 7:32 PM

40 foot steel ice reefers built by General American in 1934

On 2/15/2019 3:34 PM, Ralph W. Brown wrote:
Hi Bruce,

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

Folks,

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Dennis Storzek

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Scott,

A similar car is/was sold by Walthers in plastic. In its original . . . uh . . . incarnation, the car had a separate roof and ladders. Good fodder for upgrading. Some of these operated by URTX had Duryea underframes.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 2/15/19 8:41 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
Scott

Funny you should say that, since Al Westerfield and Martin Lofton must have produced
100 different reefers that were not any of those! To say nothing of Brian Pate (CP, NP) or

Tim O'Connor

Scott McDonald

mopacfirst

I built one of those Walthers URTX reefers.  It was a good car, for its day, and the Duryea underframe was somewhat well represented, at least the crossbearers, but there was no draft gear extension.  My cure for that was probably not as sophisticated as what I would do now.

If I could lay my hands on a kit, I'd probably now build another one.  The model was later reissued in a fully assembled version, with the usual assortment of fairly bogus paint schemes.

Ron Merrick

Tim O'Connor

Right. How about this one?

Tim

On 2/15/2019 11:44 PM, Bruce Smith wrote:

But definitely not the car in question 😉

Regards

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts