Bad Ladder Day

gary laakso

Here are the results when the Milwaukee had a bad ladder day:

http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=4769374

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

earlyrail

Nice view of a MILW ice reefer.
Many of these were painted as medium/light blue.

Howard Garner

Dennis Storzek

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 09:54 AM, earlyrail wrote:
Nice view of a MILW ice reefer.
Many of these were painted as medium/light blue.
The car is marked ICE SERVICE. In spite of the fact that it does not appear to have a company service number, I believe these were used only in company service.

Earlier the MILW had some wood cars in the same service, painted the same medium blue.

Dennis Storzek

Jack Mullen

Gary, that's a nice find; unusual shot of a very distinctive car.  Besides the damage to both ladders at that corner, the step under the door took a hit. I don't see any other signs of damage on the carbody. I've seen cars with a  ladder or step with similar damage that resulted from somebody trying to use it as a roping staple, but all three?  Really slow learner? ;^)

Jack Mullen

Bruce Smith

Folks,

Can anyone provide some background on this reefer? Hard to miss the horizontal seam. On my browser it almost appears to be shorter than 40'

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 09:54 AM, earlyrail wrote:
Nice view of a MILW ice reefer.
Many of these were painted as medium/light blue.
The car is marked ICE SERVICE. In spite of the fact that it does not appear to have a company service number, I believe these were used only in company service.

Earlier the MILW had some wood cars in the same service, painted the same medium blue.

Dennis Storzek

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Bruce,

Milwaukee is hardly my area of expertise, but I enlarged the photo to see whether I read any dimensional data and found nothing helpful.  The car looked a bit short to me as well.  The shot is pretty much a broadside, so after measuring the image length of a wheel (1.5”), which I presume to be 33”, measuring the image length of the car (20 7/8”), and doing the math, I found a calculated length of 38’ 2.15”.  Similarly, the height of the roof above the railhead (excluding the roof walk) worked out to 13’ 3.5”, and the height of the car from the bottom of the floor worked out to 9’ 10.25”.  The car appears to be about halfway between a 36’ reefer and a 40’ reefer.  That strikes me as unusual, don’t you think?

I was also able to read an “ICE CAR” designation, a 70000 capacity, and what appears to be a 7-69 reweigh date.  Whoever speculated that the car was in company service may well have been correct.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 09:54 AM, earlyrail wrote:
Nice view of a MILW ice reefer.
Many of these were painted as medium/light blue.
The car is marked ICE SERVICE. In spite of the fact that it does not appear to have a company service number, I believe these were used only in company service.

Earlier the MILW had some wood cars in the same service, painted the same medium blue.

Dennis Storzek

mopacfirst

Thought I replied to this earlier, but something happened.

The low doors with double latch bars suggest an ex-meat reefer.  The prominent sidesill tabs suggest a fairly late car.  The apparent 36' length also suggests a meat reefer.  So I went looking, and the first photo I looked at is SRLX 15392, a Swift reefer on the cover of the old Classic Freight Cars vol. 3.

Just a possibility.

Ron Merrick

Ralph W. Brown

Hi,

I guess I should clarify that my length measurement was over the end sills.