Flat car Horizontal brake wheel staff supports.

Ken Adams

I must apologize to all. A very big oops on my part.

Gene Green has sent me several drawings of hand brake appliances/specialties and in correct AAR terminology this should be correctly called a horizontal hand brake.

Ken Adams

Ken Adams

Sorry to belabor this topic.

As part of my flatcar handbrake maintenance project I was able to cut the mounting projection back on a Kadee 2021 Equipco handbrake wheel and drill it with a #76 drill bit for remounting on a SPH&TS SP F-70-10 flat car as a replacement for a lost handbrake wheel. Tichy #1103 .020 phosphor bronze wire used for the shaft. I held the wheel in a pair for serrated needle nose pliers and drilled the hole with a twist drill. Then I cut off most of the mounting projection. I attached the wheel to the shaft with Plasti-Zap.

Tony Thompson's SP Freight Cars volume 3 lists the specialties brake appliance for the F-70-10 as Equipco.

Ken Adams

mopacfirst

I was cutting out parts from the Tichy 3013 AB brake set today and happened to notice that there are two flatcar-appropriate brake shaft supports on this sprue also.  These are parts 23 and 24, which look identical to me.  These parts may very well be suitable for stem-winder brakes on other cars also.

In that case, I have a lot of these parts since I hang on to sprues that I've cut stuff out of, if there are any other useful parts left.

And, to save brake shaft damage, I should probably be mounting more of the flatcar brake shafts in the down position.  Won't help me much on other cars, since for example my entire fleet of X29s, all two of them, are out of service due to broken brake shafts.

Ron Merrick

Dennis Storzek

On Sun, Feb 17, 2019 at 10:06 AM, mopacfirst wrote:
And, to save brake shaft damage, I should probably be mounting more of the flatcar brake shafts in the down position.
We're going to need a Guy Wilber ruling on this, but I contend that having a flatcar with the brake staff retracted in a train is a defect, since the brake wheel does not have the required 4" of hand clearance around it. It is, of course, an easy defect to remedy; the car men just have to raise the brake wheel.

Dennis Storzek

mopacfirst

I assumed as much.  But, I'll take some brownies to have cars that at least have a brakewheel.

Ron Merrick

Bill Vaughn

Yes brakes in the down position are an FRA defect.  Don't ask me how I found out.

Bill Vaughn