URTX 37500-37974 Refrigerator

Tim O'Connor

Thanks Steve. (Steve sent me a photo of URTX 37754)

The car appears IDENTICAL in every way to the 37000-37499 series - but the ORER
says the door height is 6" larger. Perhaps a mistake no one noticed in the ORER??

Tim O'Connor

On 2/17/2019 3:27 PM, Steve Hoxie wrote:
Tim--URTX 37754. I added this to my stash earlier this month, but I don't recall the source.

Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Bill Keene

There is an action photo that includes the 37053(?) and 37113 along with four other very similar looking reefers show on a two page color spread on pages 14-15 of the Fall 2018 issue of Classic Trains.

Cheers,
Bill Keene
Irvine, CA

On Feb 17, 2019, at 2:34 PM, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Thanks Steve. (Steve sent me a photo of URTX 37754)

The car appears IDENTICAL in every way to the 37000-37499 series - but the ORER
says the door height is 6" larger. Perhaps a mistake no one noticed in the ORER??

Tim O'Connor

On 2/17/2019 3:27 PM, Steve Hoxie wrote:
Tim--URTX 37754. I added this to my stash earlier this month, but I don't recall the source.

Steve Hoxie
Pensacola FL

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

mopacfirst

There is this one, of URTX 37889:

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=891416

It does appear to be identical to the 37000-37499 series.  This may not be true for all cars of this series.

These cars, when new, apparently had black hardware, and the MILW tilted box with the full roadname spelled out.  Repaints got the sides painted all orange and with the later tilted box 'the MILWAUKEE road'.  This fit nicely between the top Z-bar and the horizontal seam, with some room to spare.  At some point, some cars got a bigger tilted box, which was then rotated counterclockwise so it would still fit on the flat part of the upper side, and the lettering went uphill.

The 38000 series, built later, had a 6' plug door on a similar body.

Ron Merrick

Ron Merrick

Steve SANDIFER

Illinois RR Museum has 37190, 37241, and 37312, all 1948 products.

Monticello RR Museum has 26010 and 16012

National Transportation Museum has 37144 and 37467

I have photos of all.

J. Stephen Sandifer

It does appear to be identical to the 37000-37499 series.  This may not be true for all cars of this series.

These cars, when new, apparently had black hardware, and the MILW tilted box with the full roadname spelled out.  Repaints got the sides painted all orange and with the later tilted box 'the MILWAUKEE road'.  This fit nicely between the top Z-bar and the horizontal seam, with some room to spare.  At some point, some cars got a bigger tilted box, which was then rotated counterclockwise so it would still fit on the flat part of the upper side, and the lettering went uphill.

The 38000 series, built later, had a 6' plug door on a similar body.

Ron Merrick

Ron Merrick

mopacfirst

So just to summarize and close this topic out, and a continuation of my last post, the 37000-37499 and 37500-37974 do appear to be identical, built about two years apart.  Some offline discussion says that the cars were all built with tabbed sidesills, and they were modified later to straight sidesill.  So the Walthers car, if upgraded with the extended draft gear that is appropriate for a true Duryea underframe, pretty much represents these two series and probably nothing else.

To me, one of the biggest drawbacks to building a bigger private owner reefer fleet is the lack of decals.  Not that hard to cobble together decals for most any reporting marks on plain black tank cars, but not so a reefer with large colorful individualized lettering.  I haven't even been able to find an appropriate lettering style to renumber the models I have from the factory applied lettering.  This, again, is a bigger problem for reefers because, unlike free runners where if the car was too rusty or vandalized to read the numbers, any local rip track could re-apply the reporting marks and number with any stencils they happened to have, these cars were normally only maintained by a specific shop who had specific lettering standards, and, in that era, were actually intent on having the cars look good.

Ron Merrick