Topics

MDT 6000 Series Roof Question

Nelson Moyer

I’d like to build Sunshine 20.1 for the MDT 8000 series as MFT 6000 according to modifications described in PDS 20A, which states that the kit can be converted by using wood hatch covers and substituting vertical brake staff and horizontal brake wheel for steel hatch covers and URECO power hand brakes. I built the underbody, including the AB brake components according to the drawings in MM, April 2004 for the 6000 series car, then noticed that the roof for 6000 series cars has 11 flat panels, while the roof provided in the kit has 13 raised panels and an integrated steel hatch. OOOPS! The kit roof is wrong for the conversion, instructions notwithstanding, as it is the 13 raised panel roof. Does anyone know of a roof on any kit or RTR car that matches the 41 ft. 6 ¼ in. 11 flat panel roof of the 6000 series MDT reefers? If I can get the right roof, I can cast a duplicate for my car. I attached a cropped scan of the roof drawing to help identify the right roof. Note the configuration of the seam caps and hatch configuration. My kit included only two wood hatches, while there should have been four, so I have to cast two more hatches in addition to the roof.

Nelson Moyer

David

The roof in question is the SRE Murphy Solidsteel roof of the 1920s. 11 seam caps, and ten panels (12 counting the end panels with the hatches). Easiest starting point would be the Yarmouth "Murphy flat panel" roof: http://www.yarmouthmodelworks.com/index.php/Products/4238R

David Thompson

Tom Madden

I was under the impression that the Sunshine MDT/NRC wood reefers were from the same family as the Sunshine Santa Fe Rr 5-9, 11 wood reefers. The Santa Fe ones came with either a replacement panel steel roof or a "wood roof". The latter has 11 seam caps and hatch mounts.

Tom Madden

Nelson Moyer

Pierre doesn’t give the roof length but it’s probably for a 40 ft. box car. The 6000 series roof is 41 ft. 6 ¼ in. to make the two end panels long enough to accommodate the hatches (the car is 41 ft. 5 in. long; 42 ft. 9-7/8 in. long over the running boards). I don’t think the YMW Murphy flat panel roof will be long enough, besides, it lacks the flairs on the outside ends of the seam caps shown in the drawing, and the end panels are the same size as the others, leaving no room for the ice hatches. I need a better match.

Nelson Moyer

The roof in question is the SRE Murphy Solidsteel roof of the 1920s. 11 seam caps, and ten panels (12 counting the end panels with the hatches).
Easiest starting point would be the Yarmouth "Murphy flat panel" roof:
http://www.yarmouthmodelworks.com/index.php/Products/4238R

David Thompson

Nelson Moyer

Thanks, Tom. I’ll look into the SFRD Rr5-9 cars and see what I find. I don’t have any SFRD kits to do a direct comparison (except the new RCW kits). Maybe somebody out that built the Rr 5-9 with a steel roof would part with the wood roof?

Nelson Moyer

I was under the impression that the Sunshine MDT/NRC wood reefers were from the same family as the Sunshine Santa Fe Rr 5-9, 11 wood reefers. The Santa Fe ones came with either a replacement panel steel roof or a "wood roof". The latter has 11 seam caps and hatch mounts.

Tom Madden

tyesac@aol.com <tyesac@...>

Nelson,

The way the Sunshine kits were packaged, they would contain only the one roof per kit, so there would be no second roof to trade.

Tom Casey
Nelson Moyer (npmoyer@...)To:you (Bcc) + 1 more Details

Nelson Moyer npmoyer@...Hide
To main@RealSTMFC.groups.io main@RealSTMFC.groups.io