Topics

Procter & Gamble and Colgate-Palmolive

Andy Carlson

One more correction for the week----

Though Palmolive may have been named for Palm oil and Olive oil combos, it was never a Procter and Gamble product. Back in nthe 1920s, the Palmolive corporation was founded. Later merged with the colgate company. Not associated at all with P&G.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On 2/22/2019 1:15 PM, Aley, Jeff A wrote:
> Indeed, P&G made a lot of soap.  As you know, soaps can be made with many different kinds of oil - coconut, palm, etc.
> One of their products was a soap made with a mixture of PALM oil and OLIVE oil -- PALMOLIVE.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Tony Thompson

Andy Carlson wrote:

Though Palmolive may have been named for Palm oil and Olive oil combos, it was never a Procter and Gamble product. Back in nthe 1920s, the Palmolive corporation was founded. Later merged with the colgate company. Not associated at all with P&G.

       Palmolive originally was a product of the B.J. Johnson Company, and their primary product, a very popular soap, was given the Palmolive name for its ingredients, back in 1898. In 1928, Palmolive, already merged with Peets Brothers to form Palmolive-Peets, PUIRCHASED Colgate to form Colgate-Palmolive-Peet. The "Peet" was dropped in 1953, and today the company is still named Colgate-Palmolive.
       Certainly it's true that this is a separate topic from Procter & Gamble, who was the main competitor of Colgate-Palmolive and in fact usually outsold them in the soap business.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Aley, Jeff A

You guys are right – I got confused.  The Colgate-Palmolive-Peet factory in KC was only a couple of blocks away from P&G.

In fact, the two smokestacks at the bottom of the photo I posted are at Colgate.

Thanks for the correction!

-Jeff

[...]

Donald B. Valentine

Palmolive originally was a product of the B.J. Johnson Company, and their primary product, a very popular soap, was given the Palmolive name for its ingredients, back in 1898. In 1928, Palmolive, already merged with Peets Brothers to form Palmolive-Peets, PUIRCHASED Colgate to form Colgate-Palmolive-Peet. The "Peet" was dropped in 1953, and today the company is still named Colgate-Palmolive.
       Certainly it's true that this is a separate topic from Procter & Gamble, who was the main competitor of Colgate-Palmolive and in fact usually outsold them in the soap business.

Tony Thompson

    It;s known as global marketing, Tony. Proctor & Gamble products have been very popular in Eastern Europe, especially in Russia and Ukraine, for some twenty-five years now but I rarely saw any Colgate-Palmolive products in such places until the last year or two. No doubt that's one reason
P&G outsells its competitors. Same thing with jeans. Wrangler jeans are still the most popular tin such places even though they are now made in Mexico!  And model railroading is growing as a hobby
there even thoough it is dying here. There is a large club in Moscow now that meets on Tuesday
evenings, if memory serves, and such products are more often seen in stores..Feniks HO scale tank cars with molded resin bodies and well done metal framework and such are superb. The number of injecion molded models is increasing as well. Hit "Russian models" on eBay some time and see for
yourself.

My best, Don Valentine

Tony Thompson

Don Valentine wrote:

    It;s known as global marketing, Tony. Proctor & Gamble products have been very popular in Eastern Europe, especially in Russia and Ukraine, for some twenty-five years now . . .

    Um, as we usually discuss North American freight cars, I didn't touch on sales in other parts of the world. For North America, I will stand by what I wrote.