Chrysler Trucks (was Twin Star Cars)

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Andy and Friends,

The Western Pacific experimented with Chrysler trucks under their Compartmentizer-equipped PS-1 boxcars. The first group was 20801-20820, soon renumbered 19501-19520. They were delivered new with Compartizers in 1951. According to the only equipment diagram I could find for these cars, they had the ASF A-3 truck sideframes that the WP favored. However, they definitely came on Chrysler trucks. I have a Will Whittaker print showing brand-new 20803 in 1951 on Chrysler trucks. I also have 19510 on Chrysler trucks. The only equipment diagram I could find for these cars does not mention Chrysler trucks for this group: https://www.wplives.com/diagrams/freight/1968/bc19551.php .

In 1952 the WP pulled 22 more cars at random from their regular PS-1s and had Pullman rebuild them with Compartmentizers. They returned as 19521-19542, and all but one were on Chrysler trucks (19537 had Timken roller bearings in what appears to be standard ASF A-3 frames with the journal box lids removed; it was a test car and show-boat that was displayed at the state fair with the famous "Roller Freight" herald). At least one of these survived in MW service into the 1980s on Chrysler trucks, though without the snubbers. Since I am just savvy enough to be able to tell an arch-bar from a roller bearing truck, you tell me if that is an ASF A-3 frame in the attached photo. If it is an ASF A-3, then these trucks were available with other than Dalman sideframes.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 2/23/19 9:46 PM, Andy Carlson wrote:

Hi-
I have thought that the TMW Dalman 2-level would be a good start, as the side frame has a wide spring area, which the Chrysler trucks also feature.

I have not gone that far yet in testing this kitbash.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On Saturday, February 23, 2019, 5:36:08 PM PST, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Ed

There is no "correct" truck for the Chrysler sideframe. Just use one
that looks close.

On 2/23/2019 6:26 PM, spsalso via Groups.Io wrote:
> I've received my parts for the Chrysler truck conversion.  The part
> includes the shock absorber and two of the truck springs.  It's
> obvious that the part slides into a newly created void in the truck.
>  My question is:  Which truck?
>
> I'd prefer not to guess.  I assume the part was designed to fit a
> particular model.  So I'm asking which one.
>
> Edward Sutorik

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Andy Carlson

Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2019, 4:50:18 AM PST

That truck looks to me to be a standard Chrysler truck. It has nothing which would appear to make it an ASF A-3. A quick A-3 spotting point is the spring retaining base area of the side frame casting. It is very pronounced and extends outwards in a circular arch. This is what makes ID'ing Barber S-2s and ASF A-3s simpler for us modelers (Thanks Brian Leppert for this suggestion). This truck is at the Portola, CA WP museum up in the Sierra Mountains.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

In 1952 the WP pulled 22 more cars at random from their regular PS-1s and had Pullman rebuild them with Compartmentizers. They returned as 19521-19542, and all but one were on Chrysler trucks (19537 had Timken roller bearings in what appears to be standard ASF A-3 frames with the journal box lids removed; it was a test car and show-boat that was displayed at the state fair with the famous "Roller Freight" herald). At least one of these survived in MW service into the 1980s on Chrysler trucks, though without the snubbers. Since I am just savvy enough to be able to tell an arch-bar from a roller bearing truck,

..................you tell me **********

if that is an ASF A-3 frame in the attached photo. If it is an ASF A-3, then these trucks were available with other than Dalman sideframes.   **************

Yours Aye,
Garth Groff

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Andy,

Thanks for the tip. I was looking at other features, and totally have missed the spring base on the ASF A-3.

I appreciate learning about this.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 2/24/19 9:21 AM, Andy Carlson wrote:

Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2019, 4:50:18 AM PST

That truck looks to me to be a standard Chrysler truck. It has nothing which would appear to make it an ASF A-3. A quick A-3 spotting point is the spring retaining base area of the side frame casting. It is very pronounced and extends outwards in a circular arch. This is what makes ID'ing Barber S-2s and ASF A-3s simpler for us modelers (Thanks Brian Leppert for this suggestion). This truck is at the Portola, CA WP museum up in the Sierra Mountains.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

In 1952 the WP pulled 22 more cars at random from their regular PS-1s and had Pullman rebuild them with Compartmentizers. They returned as 19521-19542, and all but one were on Chrysler trucks (19537 had Timken roller bearings in what appears to be standard ASF A-3 frames with the journal box lids removed; it was a test car and show-boat that was displayed at the state fair with the famous "Roller Freight" herald). At least one of these survived in MW service into the 1980s on Chrysler trucks, though without the snubbers. Since I am just savvy enough to be able to tell an arch-bar from a roller bearing truck,

..................you tell me **********

if that is an ASF A-3 frame in the attached photo. If it is an ASF A-3, then these trucks were available with other than Dalman sideframes.   **************

Yours Aye,
Garth Groff

WILLIAM PARDIE

I have to admit that I have not followed this thread very closely.. This morning, however, something rang a bell. A Cardinal Rule that I adopted years ago in this hobby is that if you come across sometrhing you might remotely need in the future buy it and tuck it away, because when you decide you want it it, will be long gone. Such is the case with a pair of brass Chrysler trucks that I bought on E-bay a few years ago. Subsequest to reading this thread this morning I got the trucks out. THEY ARE EXQUISITE. I don’t know who the importer was or what car they might have come under. The trucks have code 88 wheel sets and the brake rigging is the most complete that I have seen on an HO truck.

Now, what to do with them. I seem to recall that they were used under some PFE refers. My modeling interest is the Southern Pacific between 1946 and 1956. Only suggestions on how I might put them to use?

Bill Pardie

Brian Carlson

Bill they also appeared under several GAEX 50’ boxcars. That’s where my resin converts will be going.

Brian J. Carlson

On Feb 24, 2019, at 2:06 PM, WILLIAM PARDIE <PARDIEW001@...> wrote:

I have to admit that I have not followed this thread very closely.. This morning, however, something rang a bell. A Cardinal Rule that I adopted years ago in this hobby is that if you come across sometrhing you might remotely need in the future buy it and tuck it away, because when you decide you want it it, will be long gone. Such is the case with a pair of brass Chrysler trucks that I bought on E-bay a few years ago. Subsequest to reading this thread this morning I got the trucks out. THEY ARE EXQUISITE. I don’t know who the importer was or what car they might have come under. The trucks have code 88 wheel sets and the brake rigging is the most complete that I have seen on an HO truck.

Now, what to do with them. I seem to recall that they were used under some PFE refers. My modeling interest is the Southern Pacific between 1946 and 1956. Only suggestions on how I might put them to use?

Bill Pardie

Richard Townsend

Try under an Intermountain R-40-10 express reefer.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

-----Original Message-----
To: main <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Sent: Sun, Feb 24, 2019 11:06 am
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Chrysler Trucks (was Twin Star Cars)

I have to admit that I have not followed this thread very closely..  This morning, however, something rang a bell.  A Cardinal Rule that I adopted years ago in this hobby is that if you come across sometrhing you might remotely need in the future buy it and tuck it away, because when you decide you want it it, will be long gone.  Such is the case with a pair of brass Chrysler trucks that I bought on E-bay a few years ago. Subsequest to reading this thread this morning I got the trucks out.  THEY ARE EXQUISITE.  I don’t know who the importer was or what car they might have come under.  The trucks have code 88 wheel sets and the brake rigging is the most complete that I have seen on an HO truck.

Now, what to do with them.  I seem to recall that they were used under some PFE refers.  My modeling interest is the Southern Pacific between 1946 and 1956.  Only suggestions on how I might put them to use?

Bill Pardie

Tony Thompson

Bill Pardie wrote:

Bill, they were used on half of the 50 cars that PFE converted from Class R-40-10 to express service, re-classed as BR-40-10 and painted Dark Olive Green. The conversion was in the spring of 1953, and the car numbers with Chrysler trucks were 901-925. In this instance, the truck sideframes wee Symington-Gould. They are of course described in the PFE book, Chapter 8.
I used the very nice Ross Dando resin parts to convert trucks for exactly this use, as I described in an earlier blog post. If you're interested, here's a link:

https://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2016/02/pfe-40-foot-express-cars-part-2-trucks.html

That post about the modeling was preceded by a post about the prototype, and also about the InterMountain R-40-10 model of the express cars (which need to have metal running boards), which is at:

http://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2016/02/pfes-40-foot-express-reefers.html

Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Tim O'Connor

Here ya go, Bill.

On 2/24/2019 2:06 PM, WILLIAM PARDIE wrote:

Bill Pardie
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

gary laakso

Bill:

Are these the trucks:

http://americanscalemodels.com/HO/HO_Detail_Parts/Trucks?product_id=1855

Gary Laakso
Northwest of Mike Brock

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of WILLIAM PARDIE
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2019 11:07 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

Bill Pardie

WILLIAM PARDIE

They are Gary.  Thank you.

Bill

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

-------- Original message --------
Date: 2/24/19 12:29 PM (GMT-10:00)

Bill:

Are these the trucks:

Gary Laakso
Northwest of Mike Brock

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of WILLIAM PARDIE
Sent: Sunday, February 24, 2019 11:07 AM

I have to admit that I have not followed this thread very closely..  This morning, however, something rang a bell.  A Cardinal Rule that I adopted years ago in this hobby is that if you come across sometrhing you might remotely need in the future buy it and tuck it away, because when you decide you want it it, will be long gone.  Such is the case with a pair of brass Chrysler trucks that I bought on E-bay a few years ago. Subsequest to reading this thread this morning I got the trucks out.  THEY ARE EXQUISITE.  I don’t know who the importer was or what car they might have come under.  The trucks have code 88 wheel sets and the brake rigging is the most complete that I have seen on an HO truck.

Now, what to do with them.  I seem to recall that they were used under some PFE refers.  My modeling interest is the Southern Pacific between 1946 and 1956.  Only suggestions on how I might put them to use?

Bill Pardie

Tony Thompson

Are these the trucks:

They are certainly one version of the Chrysler design.

Tony Thompson Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705 www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Fred Jansz

Garth, first is Will Whittaker I believe, second is from web; WP19507, also on Chrysler trucks.
cheers, Fred Jansz