Topics

Throwback Tuesday: The Lindberg Line

Benjamin Hom

Lindberg ad, Model Railroader, December 1962.

Ben Hom

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Friends,

I've occasionally seen the Lindberg switcher at train shows, and scored one of the rather oversized cabooses to get the end platforms/steps (parts still in my stock), but have never seen any of the other freight cars. Has anyone ever run across these? Were they ever re-issued by somebody else? The stock car looks like it might have conversion possibilities.

I think I still have at least one pair of the Lindberg trucks floating around someplace. They were among the best rolling trucks of their era.

Now here's something to ponder. A.C. Gilbert of American Flyer fame also tried their hands at HO. Most of their stuff was the same tooling as Marx (and  IIRC is still available from Model Power). Most Gilbert was really low-quality junk, but when I was a youngster I had two Gilbert 50' fishbelly flat cars that were quite different. Except for the trucks and horn couplers, these were one-piece cast metal and had some pretty good detail, plus enough weight to keep them on the track. I keep an eye out for these at train shows, and may be tempted if I ever run across any again. They might be worth upgrading.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 2/26/19 7:08 AM, Benjamin Hom wrote:
Lindberg ad, Model Railroader, December 1962.

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

I had the Lindberg stock car, flat car and gondola when I was a teenager. I agree the stock car
probably is the most useful as kitbash fodder. I -think- I had the switcher - I seem to recall it had
a drive line through the fuel tank that connected the trucks. (Overland did the same thing on its
early brass models.) Does that ring a bell?

Tim O'

On 2/26/2019 1:03 PM, Garth Groff wrote:
[...]

Sterling, Massachusetts

Clark Propst

I believe the Lindberg trucks are still available. Didn't they came in Ribside Cars kits? I threw them out anyway...Were the Mantua 'Heavies' Lindberg cars?
C W Propst

Richard Townsend

The stock car is good for a Milwaukee Road stock car. There was an article in Mainline Modeler years ago about that. The gondola is a good model of an Erie car. Both are available now from Mantua, I think.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

[...]

william darnaby

The reefer has short doors like a meat reefer.  Some 30 or more years ago I picked up 4 or 5 at a swap and did some simple upgrades…consistent with my limited knowledge at the time…and turned them into Armour (TRAX) cars.  They would be considered stand-ins, I’m sure, by todays standards but they are still in regular use in my sessions.

Bill

[...]

Lester Breuer

Garth I am attaching photos of Lindberg stock car, kit T181, purchased in March 1975 for $1.75.  It has been in service on my railroad, the Minneapolis & Northland Railroad Company since March 1975.  I have in my notes dimensions of the car are like the Milwaukee stock car.  Photo of MILW car in RMC July 1991.
Lester Breuer

Charlie Vlk

I believe that Mantua got the Lindberg line so now that it has morphed through Model Power and MRC to Lionel we will have to await yet another attempt at releasing dated tooling to see them again.  Maybe the Marx tooling they also got with the Model Power acquisition will be a higher priority…after all, they at least had a searchlight car!!!

Seriously, Mantua and Model Power did run the Lindberg tooling so some of the cars might be available….not sure if that is what they used for the “Heavies” line of diecast metal cars…just to prevent any kitbashing!!!

Charlie Vlk

[...]

Most of the American Flyer HO was original tooling….not to say that the F3s were not Marx bodies.

The Model Power / Marx “F2” was a copy of the Varney tooling but IIRC there were additional crudities that brought them (down)  to another level….

The prewar American Flyer cars were cast metal.  The New Haven Baggage RPO still looks good today even if a little heavy in rivet sizes.  The “American Flyer” coach was short but fairly well proportioned with a few windows deleted.  They had a cupola caboose different than the postwar Reading NE and a nice composite gondola.  Some of the other cars may have transitioned to injected molded plastic versions.

Charlie Vlk

[...]

Larry Smith

When they first came out, back in the early 1960s, I was a member of the model railroad club at the Air Force base in Rantoul, IL.  I bought and assembled the early version of the Con-Cor air slide hopper.  The inside of this car was solid metal with plastic sides.  The car was so heavy that the only trucks that would roll under it was the Lindberg trucks.  I remeber one siding we had that ran down a long grade into a lumber yard and we cut the car off at the siding.  It got away from us and rolled all the way down the siding and ended up on top of the track bumper.  Those were the days

Larry Smith

On Tuesday, February 26, 2019, 12:38:34 PM CST, Clark Propst <cepropst@q.com> wrote:

I believe the Lindberg trucks are still available. Didn't they came in Ribside Cars kits? I threw them out anyway...Were the Mantua 'Heavies' Lindberg cars?
C W Propst

Charlie Vlk

I had similar experiences at the Illinois Tech Model Railroad Club c. 1964-5 when the Lindberg trucks first came out.   There were few places on the club layout that a car equipped with them would “stay”…compared to the MDC, Athearn, Varney, etc. trucks that most of us had they were fantastic!

Not a freight car, but I had a AHM Pullman equipped with Con-Cor metal wheelsets….once the brake shoes were ground down to clear the proper 36” wheels the car was about as slippery as a freight car with the Lindbergs.

Charlie Vlk

[...]

David North

I believe the Con Cor 50’ gondola was originally a Lindberg product?

Cheers

Dave

Benjamin Hom

Dave North wrote:
"I believe the Con Cor 50’ gondola was originally a Lindberg product?"

No.  Revell.

Ben Hom

Richard Townsend

It was from Revell.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

I believe the Con Cor 50’ gondola was originally a Lindberg product?
Cheers
Dave

Eric Hansmann

I bought a pair of the Lindbergh gons several years ago. IIRC, they follow an Erie coal gondola prototype.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Feb 26, 2019, at 6:48 PM, Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:

Dave North wrote:
"I believe the Con Cor 50’ gondola was originally a Lindberg product?"

No. Revell.

Ben Hom

jczzo126 CocuzzaT

The Revell / Concor gondola was also produced (first?) by Fleischmann, spelling probably not correct.  I have 2 of these, and 2 Revell's and 1 Concor, they are all identical as far as the body goes, but one of the Revell's and both Fleischmann's have metal  underframes with metal sprung trucks. One of the Fleischmann's came with solid metal trucks, unsprung, but with springs in the sideframes.

On Tue, Feb 26, 2019 at 8:14 PM Eric Hansmann <eric@...> wrote:
I bought a pair of the Lindbergh gons several years ago. IIRC, they follow an Erie coal gondola prototype.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

> On Feb 26, 2019, at 6:48 PM, Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:
>
> Dave North wrote:
> "I believe the Con Cor 50’ gondola was originally a Lindberg product?"
>
> No.  Revell.
>

> Ben Hom

Richard Townsend

They do. A photo of the prototype, plus plans, are in the 1940 Car Builders Cyclopedia, pages 236-37. The car in the photo is Erie 44000. It has drop doors.

Also, I need to correct myself regarding the Lindberg stock car. The article I referred to was in the January 1991 RMC, pages 86-87: "Build a Milwaukee Road stock car" by John Swanson.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

I bought a pair of the Lindbergh gons several years ago. IIRC, they follow an Erie coal gondola prototype.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

> On Feb 26, 2019, at 6:48 PM, Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:
>
> Dave North wrote:
> "I believe the Con Cor 50’ gondola was originally a Lindberg product?"
>
> No.  Revell.
>

> Ben Hom

Eric Hansmann

Thanks for the data, Richard! I've been told many times that there are published plans for the Erie gondolas but none of the folks recalled where they were published.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On February 26, 2019 at 9:10 PM "Richard Townsend via Groups.Io" <richtownsend@...> wrote:

They do. A photo of the prototype, plus plans, are in the 1940 Car Builders Cyclopedia, pages 236-37. The car in the photo is Erie 44000. It has drop doors.

Also, I need to correct myself regarding the Lindberg stock car. The article I referred to was in the January 1991 RMC, pages 86-87: "Build a Milwaukee Road stock car" by John Swanson.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

I bought a pair of the Lindbergh gons several years ago. IIRC, they follow an Erie coal gondola prototype.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

> On Feb 26, 2019, at 6:48 PM, Benjamin Hom < b.hom@...> wrote:
>
> Dave North wrote:
> "I believe the Con Cor 50’ gondola was originally a Lindberg product?"
>
> No.  Revell.
>

> Ben Hom

Erie RR used those gons to move coal.  There are pix of them on the Central Avenue pier on Lake Erie in Dunkirk NY where the Erie delivered coal from the Toby Mines near Brockway PA to lake boats.

Richard Townsend

By the way, it's also in Train Shed #5. The basic model is quite good for its time, with reasonably-sized rivets.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR