Topics

D&H Seley hoppers

Donald B. Valentine

Hello folks,

    Some help is needed with Delaware & Hudson Seley hopper cars. I hacve three of the O&W Car Shops D&H Seley
hoppers all painted and ready to decal with the decals on hand as well. My 1938 and 1947 ORER's indicate that all of
these cars belonged to one of two groups, the 1001 - 1151 group or the 1152 - 2250 group. BUT, in looking for a photo
to serve as a lettering guide the only one found was on pages #410-#411 or Jim Shaughnessy's D&H book and therein
lies the problem. The photo shows on;ly the right half or a car side. With a D&H Challenger pushing the train with this
car up the northboud grade to Arrarat Summit it is clearly the era I model but the car number has five digits rather than
only four with a number that appears to be #10010! Unfortunately I cannot find any such number group for D&H cars of
any tyep in the ORER's I have here. My next ORER is from Jan. 1962 at which time the same two car niber groups are
in use for hopper cars but they are now stated to be of steel rather than only having a steel underframe. I am not
knowledgeable enough about the D&H to know if the Seley cars were rebuilt with stell and kept the same numbers,
which I very much doubt, or whether new cars were purchased and given the same number groups as the Seley cars,
which I also doubt. So how does one account for a number in a #10000 series?

    These cars were also found at one time with two, three and four hopper bays. Could one style be gone by the post war
period and the remaining cars assigned to one number gfroup or the other depending upon thre number of hopper bays it
had? I have no clue from what has been found to date. Thius any helpo with these issues would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance, Don Valentine

Allan Smith

Try this photo. It is a dark photo but can be lightened.

Al Smith
Sonora Ca

On ‎Wednesday‎, ‎February‎ ‎27‎, ‎2019‎ ‎06‎:‎01‎:‎17‎ ‎PM‎ ‎PST, Donald B. Valentine via Groups.Io <riverman_vt@...> wrote:

[...]

The Post War Freight Car Fleet book has photos of D&H Hoppers on Pages 135, but of cars 6851-11600. The notes state that C A Seley designed cars like this for the D&H in 1901.

Al Smith
Sonora CA

On ‎Wednesday‎, ‎February‎ ‎27‎, ‎2019‎ ‎07‎:‎43‎:‎42‎ ‎PM‎ ‎PST, Allan Smith <smithal9@...> wrote:

[...]

Tim O'Connor

Found this on Flickr by searching for "Seley hopper"

https://www.flickr.com/photos/clausschlund/4392487783/

On 2/27/2019 11:29 PM, Allan Smith wrote:
[...]

_._,_._,_

Sterling, Massachusetts

Armand Premo

Color?I believe I saw an item that they were painted red for a brief period.Can anyone confirm this ?Mine are all black.Armand Premo

On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 10:12 PM Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

[...]

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Tim, Armand, and List Members,

The photo link provided by Tim is an image of mine that I uploaded to my Flickr account some time ago. It shows the factory painted (black) plastic N scale model that has been available in the past.

I myself have only ever seen one image of the prototype D&H Seley hoppers in black paint, that image can be found at the link below, the car was in a yard scene on a calendar photo...

I am not a D&H expert in any way, but always thought these were painted some kind of red shade for most of their lives.

An image showing the factory painted black car compared with with my custom painted and lettered red car can be found below...

I also have another image showing a weathered car...

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

[...]

Don Burn

Claus,

From a posting of yours with follow up data almost 10 years ago https://realstmfc.groups.io/g/main/topic/17233131#93201 The claim was they were red until 1942 when the D&H started painting them black.

Don Burn

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2797/4393259648_f9e3dc1c7c_o.jpg

I am not a D&H expert in any way, but always thought these were painted some kind of red shade for most of their lives.

An image showing the factory painted black car compared with with my custom painted and lettered red car can be found below...

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4070/4393259236_eccdab7538_o.jpg

I also have another image showing a weathered car...

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4150/4999321804_e419f078a6_o.jpg

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

<https://my-email-signature.link/signature.gif?u=323093&e=48665532&v=697b4945b0f7ac3d3fbc24a566f45e07afb31f9d0db0586c5672911b2f5d9f38>

On ‎Wednesday‎, ‎February‎ ‎27‎, ‎2019‎ ‎07‎:‎43‎:‎42‎ ‎PM‎ ‎PST, Allan Smith <smithal9@...> <mailto:smithal9@...> wrote:

Try this photo. It is a dark photo but can be lightened.

http://www.trainweb.org/dhvm/images/dhrr_freight/Don-Rickle/1152-2250-01.jpg <http://www.trainweb.org/dhvm/images/dhrr_freight/Don-Rickle/1152-2250-01.jpg>

Al Smith
Sonora Ca
On ‎Wednesday‎, ‎February‎ ‎27‎, ‎2019‎ ‎06‎:‎01‎:‎17‎ ‎PM‎ ‎PST, Donald B. Valentine via Groups.Io <riverman_vt=yahoo.com@groups.io> <mailto:riverman_vt=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Ray Breyer

Hi Don,

You forgot three groups of rebuilt D&H Seleys covering the 6851-14000 number block. There were 2213 of these cars on the 1/1951 ORER, and they were all gone by 1/1955.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

On Wednesday, February 27, 2019, 8:01:15 PM CST, Donald B. Valentine via Groups.Io <riverman_vt@...> wrote:

[...]

Re: D&H Seley hoppers
From: Ray Breyer
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2019 08:42:37 PST

Hi Don,

You forgot three groups of rebuilt D&H Seleys covering the 6851-14000 number block. There were 2213 of these cars on the 1/1951 ORER, and they were all gone by 1/1955.

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

    You're right, Ray, and in the January 1938 ORER that group was even larger as it was #6851 - 11450 with
4042 cars claimed. I model 1948 and thus refer to my April 1948 ORER most frequently and in that isse this lot
is hidden below all the newer all steel hoppers and covered hoppers the D&H had purchased. But what a hell
of a way to run a railroad unless the differen numbering groups were to deliniate the number of hoppers the cars
in a specific group had ot which cars had been rebuilt.

    Thanks for all your help, Ray, especially the photos sent privately, and thanks to everyone else as well.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Ray Breyer

Not a problem Don. And like I said off-group: there are loads of inconsistencies between the written record of D&H Seleys, and what the photo evidence shows. In a modeling context, it's best to find a picture of a car you like and work from there!

Ray Breyer
Elgin, IL

Re: D&H Seley hoppers
From: Ray Breyer
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2019 08:42:37 PST

Hi Don,

[...]

Charlie Vlk

All-

I believe one of the reference pictures was of a Minitrix N Scale hopper.

It was tooled for MRC by Roco and never released under their label and it reverted to the MiniTrix “Old Timer” series.

Con-Cor did a copy of the sides on their N Scale 3 Bay hopper that was oversize for 1/160.  No sure if the car ever made it into the Roco or Mehano HO trainset lines of AHM, IHC or Model Power.

Charlie Vlk

anthony wagner

If it helps my 1-1-50 ORER  still shows 2324 HM steel underframe cars capacity 85000 lbs in that series.  Tony Waagner

Re: D&H Seley hoppers
From: Ray Breyer
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2019 08:42:37 PST

Hi Don,

[...]

     The color for me on D&H Seley hoppers is not an issue, the numbering and lettering pattern has been. But Armand you
surprise me. With 15 years on me you must remember these cars in an oxide red color which Al Seebach (O&W Car Shop)
states with the instructions for the decals supplied for his imported brass D&H Seley hoppers that they were red until being
repainted from 1960 onward. You really surprise me, Claus, with the statement that the black paint began in 1942. I would
be very surporised to find it was used before the end oif WW II and suspect 1960 is closer to the mark IIRC even the Athearn
34 ft. twinn hoppers were painted an oxide red color. Yes, I know, that's Athearn but I doubt they were far off on that particular
model. Mine are all red and will remain that way until all are lettered, receive loads and are weathered.

    Thanks to all who havce helped with this project, Don Valentine

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Don and List Members,

For whatever it is worth, it was not me who said the black paint began in 1942. Not saying it did or didn't, jut that I myself simply don't know.

Claus Schlund

[...]

Inline image
Reweigh Oneonta 1-48. It's not red friends. Tony Wagner

On Saturday, March 2, 2019, 7:48:10 AM CST, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) <claus@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Anthony and List Members,

Great photo Anthony, thanks.

The hopper appears to be coupled to a PRR class N6b cabin car (aka caboose).

Claus Schlund