Unknown Refrigerator at Steamtown

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Bob,

The MDT articles at my disposal (Hinman and Rydarwicz) do not mention Duryea underframes. That said, according to a document posted on the Steam Era Freight Cars web site ( http://www.steamerafreightcars.com/prototype/frtcars/duryea-mdt-icmain.html ) MDT 9476-9477 and leased IC 51000 were retro-fitted with Duryea underframes as part of a test.

The four MDT cars were M6-2 design from lot 844 built as MDT 94759-8874 sometime between 1947-1950. My two sources don't cover the IC leased cars. These MDT cars were very similar to PFE class R40-23 (Intermountain or Athearn), except for the ends which Hinman says were 4/2/1 (from the drawings with his article they look like 4/3 and are closer to the incorrect Athearn 4/3 ends than Intermountain's correct 3/3).

The Steamtown car has Despatch ends which in current modelers' nomenclature are 5/2/S. Only the 1951-1954 M6-4 cars had these ends. Hinman's article in the May 2002 MM is accompanied by a scale drawing of this class plus he offers a nice low-level shot of NRC 19122 from the same group. Both the plan and the photo do not show any indication of a Duryea underframe.  Based on the evidence, I cannon support the notion of a Duryea underframe on the Steamtown car.

I do not own the Signature Press MDT book. Perhaps someone with a copy can comment on any mention of Duryea underframes.

I'm still hoping for a number for the Steamtown car. Has the car been restored, and has anyone here photographed it in recent years? Of course, I should ask if anyone squatted down to see what sort of underframe it has. I suppose I will have to go back to Steamtown someday and do my own crawling around.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 2/28/19 10:38 PM, rwitt_2000 via Groups.Io wrote:
Tim,

Does it help to identify the reefer if it had a Duryea underframe?

I believe as built the feefer had a Duryea underframe.

Bob Witt

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Tim,

No MDT book. My reefer madness has been mainly a West Coast affliction, mostly PFE. The only all-refrigerator car books I have are Tony's PFE book (naturally!) and John Henderson's CLASSIC FREIGHT CARS v. 3.

On 2/28/19 10:06 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:
Garth

It's definitely a DESPATCH built refrigerator car, but I don't know which MDT or possibly NRC series
it belonged to. I have photos of other MDT (and NRC) steel reefers but not this one. Back in the 1980's
and early 1990's Conrail had several MDT reefers painted this way, all used for company storage at the
east end of the huge Selkirk yard. I have photos of them but I've never scanned them. I wonder if that is
where this car came from.

 Do you have the MDT book?

Tim O'Connor

On 2/28/2019 7:06 AM, Garth Groff wrote:
Friends,

I recently scanned up my photos from a circa 2000 visit to Steamtown. Among them is this unmarked refrigerator car. It appears to be of MDT design. Can anybody help me with a positive ID, including (hopefully) a car number? I have been unable to find any references to this car on the Steamtown site or Wikipedia. I hate untidiness in my collection.

Thank you in advance.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

Attachments: