to UP fans: -B-50-25 Express Box - converting "back" to normal box car?

vapeurchapelon

Many thanks, Tim. These cars are very nicely proportioned (lower height as pointed out by another user) - too bad that they became ordinary box cars in the sixties only.

Johannes

Gesendet: Freitag, 01. März 2019 um 03:53 Uhr
Von: "Tim O'Connor" <timboconnor@comcast.net>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Betreff: Re: [RealSTMFC] to UP fans: -B-50-25 Express Box - converting "back" to normal box car?

Johannes

In your era the cars were used exclusively in passenger train services
as far as I know.

Some cars were repainted in the 1960's with freight service paint
(attached). Later the
survivors all ended up in company service with 9xxxxx series numbers (as
shown in the
photo) in both the yellow & gray, and freight colors.

Tim O'Connor

On 2/28/2019 11:26 AM, vapeurchapelon wrote:
Hello friends,

I still need more 40' box cars, and I consider purchasing this one:

https://www.brasstrains.com/Classic/Product/Detail/098956/HO-Brass-Model-OMI-1338-UP-Union-Pacific-B-50-25-Express-Boxcar-24152-Unpainted-1984-Run-Ajin

Was the prototype always an express box car, or was it a conversion
out of an ordinary freight car? If the latter - would it be possible
to backdate it with reasonable effort? What exactly makes this an
express box car? The two most obvious details I could tell are the
steam line and the type of trucks - both easy to remove/ replace.
Would it then be just a usual freight car (which class?)?

Many thanks and best regards

Johannes

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

vapeurchapelon

Hello Bryian,

no, not really. I just assemble a "good-sized" through-freight train (75-80 cars) with a strong western touch, where any UP box car would be a good match.

Johannes

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 28. Februar 2019 um 23:11 Uhr
Von: "Bryian Sones via Groups.Io" <bryian.sones@...>
An: "main@RealSTMFC.groups.io" <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>

Johannes,

Are you trying to put together a fleet of U.P. boxcars?

Regards,

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

On Thursday, February 28, 2019 2:04 PM, vapeurchapelon <j.markwart@...> wrote:

Ed,

many thanks for that link. Yes, all questions have been answered (most important, that the model - unfortunately - won't match my needs.)

Many greetings

Johannes

Gesendet: Donnerstag, 28. Februar 2019 um 22:26 Uhr
Von: "Ed Hawkins" <hawk0621@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

On Feb 28, 2019, at 10:26 AM, vapeurchapelon <j.markwart@...> wrote:

I still need more 40' box cars, and I consider purchasing this one:

https://www.brasstrains.com/Classic/Product/Detail/098956/HO-Brass-Model-OMI-1338-UP-Union-Pacific-B-50-25-Express-Boxcar-24152-Unpainted-1984-Run-Ajin

Was the prototype always an express box car, or was it a conversion out of an ordinary freight car? If the latter - would it be possible to backdate it with reasonable effort? What exactly makes this an express box car? The two most obvious details I could tell are the steam line and the type of trucks - both easy to remove/ replace. Would it then be just a usual freight car (which class?)?

Many thanks and best regards
Johannes
Johannes,
The following link provides history & data on the B-50-25 box cars that began in 1939 as UP 9100-9199. RP CYC Volumes 6 and 8 also provide information & photos. In addition the UPHS has published articles in The Streamliner on UP express box cars.

This data should provide sufficient information to answer all or most of your questions. Suggest coming back with specific questions you may still have after reviewing the link.

Regards,
Ed Hawkins

mopacfirst

The fact that these cars were significantly shorter (lower height) than standard boxcars of their era hasn't been emphasized enough here.  I would point out, since none of the photos here even really shows that, that the B-50-25 is visually quite different than any typical steel freight service boxcar of the late thirties.  I can't quote its exact inside height, but it would be very obvious in a train.

Ron Merrick

Tim O'Connor