Throwback Thursday: Varney

Benjamin Hom

Varney ad from the back cover of the February 1959 issue of Model Railroader.

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

Ben I'm really enjoying these advertisements. As a teen I used to love looking at any
ad that featured John Allen's work.

On 2/28/2019 3:01 PM, Benjamin Hom wrote:
Varney ad from the back cover of the February 1959 issue of Model Railroader.

Ben Hom

Attachments:
Varney Rolling Stock MR February 1959.jpg: https://RealSTMFC.groups.io/g/main/attachment/162527/0
--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

George

I still have the FRISCO box car.  I thought it was a nice looking care at the time, even though they didn't get the FRISCO herald exactly right.  I also have one of the Varney ore cars somewhere in storage.

Tony Thompson

I think the only Varney cars still in service in my fleet are tank cars, for which I scrubbed off the gross deformity atop the dome and replaced all details. But I have a few other types in storage.
Tony Thompson

On Mar 1, 2019, at 11:17 AM, George <geoyork@...> wrote:

I still have the FRISCO box car.  I thought it was a nice looking care at the time, even though they didn't get the FRISCO herald exactly right.  I also have one of the Varney ore cars somewhere in storage.

Ken Adams

Ah the joys of X2F couplers. Early Kadee's were way too expensive for me as a teen modeler in the late 1950's.

Over 50 years ago I was a member of the West Essex club.  Members told me of the evening Paul Mallery came down to show the X2f coupler he had developed.  Members told him there were only 2 things wrong with it: it didn’t look like a coupler , and didn’t act like one.  Never the less, for those of us who were frustrated, trying to fit Roundhouse couplers into Mantua boxes, it was a God send.  It made train sets more available to young kids – and still does.  If they continue in the hobby, the kids switch to Kadees or equivalents.  Mallery was and odd duck, but he did more for model railroading in the 50s and 60s than most. – Al Westerfield

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Ah the joys of X2F couplers. Early Kadee's were way too expensive for me as a teen modeler in the late 1950's.