Topics

Mid 1950's Oscar Mayer Refrigerated Cars

Bryian Sones

Hi All,

I'm looking to start a build project to model refrigerated cars that wore the Oscar Mayer Paint schemes in the mid 1950's
I would like to get your input on the following:

  • Sources for reference material
  • Photos
  • Accurate models or good starting point suggestions.

Thank You,

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

Bruce Smith

Bryian,

Check out the Shake n’ Take project from a few years ago ;)

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Mar 1, 2019, at 10:49 AM, Bryian Sones via Groups.Io <bryian.sones@...> wrote:

Hi All,

I'm looking to start a build project to model refrigerated cars that wore the Oscar Mayer Paint schemes in the mid 1950's
I would like to get your input on the following:

  • Sources for reference material
  • Photos
  • Accurate models or good starting point suggestions.

Thank You,

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

Bryian Sones

Thanks Bruce, is the Rapido 37' reefer a good representation of a URTX  leased to Oscar Mayer or Swift
or should I just start with a Lifelike car?

On Friday, March 1, 2019 8:52 AM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

Bryian,

Check out the Shake n’ Take project from a few years ago ;)

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL

On Mar 1, 2019, at 10:49 AM, Bryian Sones via Groups.Io <bryian.sones@...> wrote:

Hi All,

I'm looking to start a build project to model refrigerated cars that wore the Oscar Mayer Paint schemes in the mid 1950's
I would like to get your input on the following:

  • Sources for reference material
  • Photos
  • Accurate models or good starting point suggestions.

Thank You,

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

Richard Townsend

One thing you can do is get a Red Caboose Mather reefer and put Tichy decals on it.  The Life-Like (Varney) reefer is a Swift prototype though it has been offered in Oscar Mayer lettering. MDC also offered some Oscar Mayer shorty reefers that can be reasonable stand-ins.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

I'm looking to start a build project to model refrigerated cars that wore the Oscar Mayer Paint schemes in the mid 1950's
I would like to get your input on the following:

  • Sources for reference material
  • Photos
  • Accurate models or good starting point suggestions.

Thank You,

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

Bryian Sones

Richard I think  Red Caboose printed the Mather Reefer in the Oscar Mayer scheme but I wasn't sure about accuracy of the car.
I think it was the Red Caboose  RC-1010c?

On Friday, March 1, 2019 3:32 PM, Richard Townsend via Groups.Io <richtownsend@...> wrote:

One thing you can do is get a Red Caboose Mather reefer and put Tichy decals on it.  The Life-Like (Varney) reefer is a Swift prototype though it has been offered in Oscar Mayer lettering. MDC also offered some Oscar Mayer shorty reefers that can be reasonable stand-ins.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

I'm looking to start a build project to model refrigerated cars that wore the Oscar Mayer Paint schemes in the mid 1950's
I would like to get your input on the following:

  • Sources for reference material
  • Photos
  • Accurate models or good starting point suggestions.

Thank You,

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

Richard Townsend

I don't know whether Red Caboose did. Intermountain does not show any Mather cars on its website.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

I'm looking to start a build project to model refrigerated cars that wore the Oscar Mayer Paint schemes in the mid 1950's
I would like to get your input on the following:

  • Sources for reference material
  • Photos
  • Accurate models or good starting point suggestions.

Thank You,

Bryian Sones
Union Pacific Prototype Modeler
Murrieta, CA

Douglas Harding

Bryian, Oscar Meyer, like most meat packers, leased meat reefers. They leased reefers from a number of companies through the years, including Mather, NWX (North Western), National, MDT and URTC. Attached are a few photos. There is one photo in Gene Green’s Color Refrigerator Car book and a number of photos in Kaminski’s Billboard Refrigerator Cars.

Al Westerfield indicated that URTC records are extremely difficult to research. So it is difficult to know exactly how many URTC cars Oscar Mayer actually leased at any one time. By the mid 50s you would be seeing steel sided reefers in meat service, including some leased by Oscar Mayer. And remember that GATC acquired URTC in 1929, after that date most new URTC cars followed GATC designs.

in HO good quality wood meat reefers include the:

Red Caboose 37’Mather meat reefer, once offered in Oscar Mayer

Rapido 37’ GATC meat reefer, was offered in Oscar Mayer

Atlas 37’ GATC meat reefer, based upon a Cudahy design

I am not familiar with what is available for steel sided cars.

Lettering is available from Clover House and Tichy Trains.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

I'm looking to start a build project to model refrigerated cars that wore the Oscar Mayer Paint schemes in the mid 1950's

I would like to get your input on the following:

  • Sources for reference material
  • Photos
  • Accurate models or good starting point suggestions.

Thank You,

Bryian Sones

Union Pacific Prototype Modeler

Murrieta, CA

Bruce Smith

Bryain,

Nope... it's a 37' kit bash starting with the 40' Accurail wood reefer.

Regards,
Bruce Smith
Auburn, AL

[...]

Brian Carlson

I think Bruce got several emails crossed. The Rapido reefer is fine for Oscar Mayer.  It needs sidesill modes for swift.

Brian J. Carlson

On Mar 1, 2019, at 11:16 PM, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

[...]

Doug,

The photo of the RSM URTX 66215, is this the same car as the PFE R-40-26?

On Friday, March 1, 2019 8:56 PM, Brian Carlson via Groups.Io <prrk41361@...> wrote:

[...]

That's what I get for answering too quickly. I meant that the Shake n'Take was not based on these models 😉

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

[...]

No, there are similarities, but also differences. Specifically the URTX cars is a 37’ meat reefer, the PFE is a 40’ car. Also notice the horizontal rivet seam on the URTX car, seen on other URTX cars. The plug door is shorter. The side sill has tabs in different locations.

Here is Tony Thompson’s blog on comparing an Accurail steel sided plug door reefer to the PRE R-40-26 http://modelingthesp.blogspot.com/2012/06/kitbashing-pfe-r-40-26.html

If you wanted a standin- the Accurail model could be used. But it is a 40’ car. I don’t know of any 37’ steel meat reefer models. The Walther’s 40’ cars, are produce reefers, not meat reefers, despite Walthers lettering them for meat packers.

Doug  Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

[...]

Thank you for the photos, modeling options and suggested reading material. Also, thank you to everyone else for your input too. I think I have enough info to represent some wood reefers. The challenge will be steel reefers, My first thought was to sacrifice some of my sunshine r-40-26 kits but after your comments about the differences with the URTX steel side car and it being a 37' car I will have to reconsider that option. I really dislike molded grab irons and ladders. No offense to those that do. Models with them certainly do serve a purpose in the hobby. I'm not sure the Accurail kit bash is worth the time for me but it is something to consider as a stand-in.

Kind regards,