Topics

Easy way to fold Yarmouth ladder styles.

Scott

I got a "photo etch elbow bender" from UMM USA and it works great folding the styles.  I can fold one in less then a minute.  The bender goes past 90° so the stile ends up at 90° in a nice crisp fold.  It also works great for small stuff like roofwalk supports from Plano.  Thought I would share that as it really  takes the frustration out of folding them.

Scott McDonald

Craig Wilson

A lot of different tools to sort through on their site.  Can you supply a reference to this specific tool you're using?  I've got quite a pile of Yarmough cars awaiting assembly.

Craig Wilson

jerryglow2

Me too. I bought some to build wider ladders per MP practice.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Craig Wilson
Sent: Saturday, March 02, 2019 7:27 AM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Easy way to fold Yarmouth ladder styles.

A lot of different tools to sort through on their site.  Can you supply a reference to this specific tool you're using?  I've got quite a pile of Yarmough cars awaiting assembly.

Craig Wilson

Matt Smith

Here is where I got mine. This is the one Pierre recommends, I think he even had a few for sale at the Chicago RPM

https://thesmallshop.com/collections/photo-etch-bending-tools

They're also available via Amazon search "photo etched bending" 

--
Matt Smith
Bloomington, IL

Scott

This is the one I got.

http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_225&products_id=59

I have the photoetch tool from small shop as well.  The elbow bender is so much easier and faster.  Plus as I mentioned it isnt a one trick pony as it does really well with the little stuff too.

Scott McDonald

Scott

Forgot to add it folds them perfectly straight since it folds the entire length at the same time.  Also there isnt a need to go back and burnish it square or straight.

Scott McDonald

Tim O'Connor

Scott,

Those are nice tools. I think I bought mine (slightly different) from Pierre at one of the Lisle meets.

I also have a pair of Tamiya "bending pliers"

On 3/2/2019 12:04 AM, Scott wrote:
I got a "photo etch elbow bender" from UMM USA and it works great folding the styles.  I can fold one in less then a minute.  The bender goes past 90° so the stile ends up at 90° in a nice crisp fold.  It also works great for small stuff like roofwalk supports from Plano.  Thought I would share that as it really  takes the frustration out of folding them.

Scott McDonald

Attachments:

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

excellent article, thanks!

On 3/2/2019 9:02 AM, Nelson Moyer wrote:

Here’s what works for me.

http://blog.resincarworks.com/building-yarmouth-model-works-etched-brass-ladders/

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Nelson Moyer

Thanks, Tim. Since I wrote that article, I’ve made one addition to the process. I made the ladder jigs longer than necessary, and I decided it would be helpful to have a few supports that fit in the rung spacing  to support the ladder under construction as I slid it out of the jig to add the next rung. I used a miter box and saw to make two such supports by sawing off narrow strips across the bottom of the jig, and they help stabilize the ladder just as I hoped. They are especially useful when the bottom rung is at the very bottom of the stile.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Tim O'Connor
Sent: Saturday, March 02, 2019 11:29 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

excellent article, thanks!

On 3/2/2019 9:02 AM, Nelson Moyer wrote:

Here’s what works for me.

http://blog.resincarworks.com/building-yarmouth-model-works-etched-brass-ladders/

Nelson Moyer

Craig Wilson

--
Tim O'Connor
Sterling, Massachusetts

Todd Sullivan

Hi Nelson,

I tried to follow your mods to your ladder jig, and I don't quite get it.  Would you happen to have a photo that you could share with us?

Thanks,

Todd Sullivan.

Nelson Moyer

I attached two photos to help people visualize the process. With the text and photos you can update the article if you chose to save it. For the record, I copy and paste blog posts I find instructive to Word, then edit it to just the essentials and save it to disk so it’s searchable.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Todd Sullivan via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, March 02, 2019 1:46 PM

Hi Nelson,

I tried to follow your mods to your ladder jig, and I don't quite get it.  Would you happen to have a photo that you could share with us?

Thanks,

Todd Sullivan.

Dave Sarther

Nelson,

Thanks.  Those additional photos helped quite a bit.

Later,  Dave Sarther   Tucson, AZ
sartherdj@...

-----Original Message-----
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Mar 2, 2019 1:05 pm

I attached two photos to help people visualize the process. With the text and photos you can update the article if you chose to save it. For the record, I copy and paste blog posts I find instructive to Word, then edit it to just the essentials and save it to disk so it’s searchable.

Nelson Moyer

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of Todd Sullivan via Groups.Io
Sent: Saturday, March 02, 2019 1:46 PM

Hi Nelson,

Thanks,

Todd Sullivan.

Todd Sullivan

Thanks, Nelson.  A picture is worth 1000 words!  Now I see.

Todd Sullivan.