UP 175288 in 1938 - emigrants

Paul Krueger

What kind of car was UP 175288 in 1938? I ran across some documentation (attached) that indicates this car was used to ship a carload of emigrants from Mitchell, SD to Enumclaw, WA in March 1938.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul Krueger
Seattle, WA

Ed Hawkins

On Mar 9, 2019, at 8:31 AM, Paul Krueger <kruegerp12@...> wrote:

What kind of car was UP 175288 in 1938? I ran across some documentation (attached) that indicates this car was used to ship a carload of emigrants from Mitchell, SD to Enumclaw, WA in March 1938.

Paul,
The 7/38 ORER denotes UP 175000-175399 as 40-ton XA auto cars, 50’-3” IL, 10’ IH, 9’-2” IW, staggered doors 9’-11” width, A-end door 1.5’ x 1’, 4626 cu. ft., 389 cars in service.

A 1941 UP diagram specifies the cars as railroad class A-40-1, built by Standard Steel Car Co. in 1913, rebuilt in 1928, single-sheathed design with 4 vertical & diagonal exterior braces to left of door & 3 vertical & diagonal braces to right of door. Between the vertical braces nearest the ends were Interior diagonal braces.

Other data from the diagram:
Inside length - 50’ 3 7/8”
Inside height - 10’-0 5/8"
Door opening - 9’-11 7/8” clear, 10’-5 5/8” between door posts
Superstructure - wood & steel posts & braces outside
Underframe - steel riveted (line drawing shows fish-belly center sill)
Ends - steel Dreadnaught
Roof - Improved Piv. Flexible
Side doors - wood with steel frame, Camel fixtures
Hand brake - Ajax
Trucks - Andrews side frames
Wheels - cast iron

Regards,
Ed Hawkins

Tim O'Connor

Paul

I haven't got a clue what that could possibly mean, but I'm more curious about the document itself.
I've never seen a report like that. Was this a monthly report generated by a station agent? What would
be the purpose of such a report, since each shipment generated its own waybill, and presumably those
would all eventually be accounted for?

Tim O'

On 3/9/2019 9:31 AM, Paul Krueger wrote:

What kind of car was UP 175288 in 1938? I ran across some documentation (attached) that indicates this car was used to ship a carload of emigrants from Mitchell, SD to Enumclaw, WA in March 1938.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul Krueger
Seattle, WA

Attachments:

Sterling, Massachusetts

Jon Miller <atsfus@...>

On 3/9/2019 6:31 AM, Paul Krueger wrote:
car was used to ship a carload of emigrants from Mitchell, SD to Enumclaw, WA in March 1938.

    A boxcar full of people?

--
Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941

Paul Krueger

Tim, these forms don't come with any explanation of the purpose but I can tell you what I have observed.

It appears that every staffed station on the Milwaukee filled out these daily reports and submitted them monthly to the Division Freight and Passenger Agent. Sometimes agents at low volume stations submitted a months worth of information on one form, as seen here for Enumclaw. I've also seen monthly packets of daily forms where every form was filled out as 'blank'. There was one report for cars received and one for cars forwarded.

At the division level, I've seen reports on various commodities like eggs and autos that may have been derived from these monthly reports of daily activity.

I've been working with these documents as a volunteer with Cascade Rail Foundation. We have boxes full of these forms and we've been putting each month into a labeled folder so we can get them organized and inventoried. They date mostly from the 1920s - 1930s and are mostly from stations south of Tacoma, WA, though there are some from other stations in Washington.

Whatever their purpose, these forms provide some interesting information about what was being shipped where and sometimes the routes the shipments used to get there.

Thanks Ed, for providing the details about UP 175288.

If anyone is interested in helping process this collection of forms, we meet during the day at Pacific Northwest Railroad Archive in Burien, WA, typically on the second and fourth Fridays each month.

Paul

Paul Krueger
Seattle, WA

Dennis Storzek

We don't ship people in boxcars here; that's a European thing. I suspect the note means mixed freight, one family's farm implements, furniture, and household goods. In those years there may still have been a tariff to encourage emigrant families to move by rail. The people needed to buy tickets and traveled by coach.

Dennis Storzek

Jon Miller <atsfus@...>

On 3/9/2019 9:55 AM, Dennis Storzek wrote:
I suspect the note means mixed freight, one family's farm implements, furniture, and household goods. --The people needed to buy tickets and traveled by coach.

    That's the way my grandfather and family moved from PA to MI years ago.  I tried to trace the route but it's amazing the number of different RR's back then.

Jon Miller
For me time stopped in 1941
SPROG User
NMRA Life member #2623
Member SFRH&MS

Tony Thompson

Tim O'Connor wrote:

I haven't got a clue what that could possibly mean, but I'm more curious about the document itself.
I've never seen a report like that. Was this a monthly report generated by a station agent? What would
be the purpose of such a report, since each shipment generated its own waybill, and presumably those
would all eventually be accounted for?

     The monthly station report was commonplace, Tim. Instruction books for station agents include them, and so does the _AAR Accounting Rules_ book.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history