Topics

steam era freight car images, dating from 1900 to 1942

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

gary laakso

Claus:

A great selection, thank you very much for sharing!  The CN stock car is exotic, see last picture, along with the Fox trucks shown under a UP stock car in picture #9.  I like the view of the horizontal floor support I-bar under the steel single sheathed UP 50 foot boxcar shown in pictures #7 and 8.

Gary Laakso

Northwest of Mike Brock

mopacfirst

Isn't this car a prototype for one of the earliest Westerfield kits, as we were discussing not too long ago?

Ron Merrick

WILLIAM PARDIE

Morning All:

There are several photos in this post that I would like to copy or purchase for my own modeling efforts.  In particular they ae for the UP 50 door and a half car.  I had posted a question on this list concerning this car about a. month ago but had no luck.

Appreciate any help:

Billl Pardie

On Mar 10, 2019, at 3:56 AM, gary laakso <vasa0vasa@...> wrote:

Claus:

A great selection, thank you very much for sharing!  The CN stock car is exotic, see last picture, along with the Fox trucks shown under a UP stock car in picture #9.  I like the view of the horizontal floor support I-bar under the steel single sheathed UP 50 foot boxcar shown in pictures #7 and 8.

Gary Laakso
Northwest of Mike Brock

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Claus Schlund \(HGM\)
Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2019 6:08 AM
To: STMFC <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] steam era freight car images, dating from 1900 to 1942

Hi List Members,

Some might enjoy these steam era freight car images, dating from 1900 to 1942.

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

Interesting shots, Claus... one of the most interesting to me was the 7th (I think) shot down from the top which shows a small box on the ground alongside the car... it is a wooden 8x10 field camera folded up (similar to a Deardorff camera). The leather bags on top of it probably hold the film holders for the camera.

Bill Daniels 
San Anselmo, CA

On Sunday, March 10, 2019, 11:59:18 AM PDT, WILLIAM PARDIE <PARDIEW001@...> wrote:

Morning All:

There are several photos in this post that I would like to copy or purchase for my own modeling efforts.  In particular they ae for the UP 50 door and a half car.  I had posted a question on this list concerning this car about a. month ago but had no luck.

Appreciate any help:

Billl Pardie
On Mar 10, 2019, at 3:56 AM, gary laakso <vasa0vasa@...> wrote:

Claus:

Gary Laakso
Northwest of Mike Brock

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Claus Schlund \(HGM\)
Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2019 6:08 AM
To: STMFC <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] steam era freight car images, dating from 1900 to 1942

Hi List Members,

Some might enjoy these steam era freight car images, dating from 1900 to 1942.

Enjoy!

Claus Schlund

Craig Bisgeier

Claus, Thanks in particular for the photo of the string of 28' UP Boxcars. This is very helpful to me!

Craig Bisgeier

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Craig and List Members,

Craig, you are refering to this image I believe...

I like the fact that one can zoom in a whole lot for some very nice detail viewing.

Note in the above image the roundhouse, with the locomotives all positioned with the front facing toward the turntable. We mostly see these views with the front of the locomotive facing AWAY from the turntable... I wonder if this was normal practice or was done for the benefit of the photograph.

Claus Schlund

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Monday, March 11, 2019 9:12 AM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] steam era freight car images, dating from 1900 to 1942

Claus, Thanks in particular for the photo of the string of 28' UP Boxcars. This is very helpful to me!

Craig Bisgeier

G.J. Irwin

On Mon, Mar 11, 2019 at 08:30 AM, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) wrote:
https://digitalcollections.uwyo.edu/luna/servlet/s/1xy326
Question with respect to the lineup of boxcars: Any thoughts on what the letters inside the diamond represented?  There is at least "U" and "K" plus a "J" on the "C.C.R.R." boxcar.

George Irwin

Bill Daniels <billinsf@...>

Claus,
I was going to say it was done for the photo. Locomotives were usually faced inwards in roundhouses so to allow maintainers free access to the front end. However, that may not be the case here since the roundhouse is in the background in this photo.

Bill Daniels 

On Mar 11, 2019, at 10:50 AM, G.J. Irwin <groups@...> wrote:

https://digitalcollections.uwyo.edu/luna/servlet/s/1xy326
Question with respect to the lineup of boxcars: Any thoughts on what the letters inside the diamond represented?  There is at least "U" and "K" plus a "J" on the "C.C.R.R." boxcar.

George Irwin

Andy Carlson

My own railroad of interest built its Roundhouse in the 1880s. At first, the locomotives were parked front-facing towards the turntable. Later, the RY expanded the Roundhouse and relocated the vent clearstory to allow parking the engines inward for the same reason Bill mentions. Perhaps there were reasons for the earlier parking directions which eventually changed by the later, transitional era.
-Andy

On Monday, March 11, 2019, 10:59:24 AM PDT, Bill Daniels via Groups.Io <billinsf@...> wrote:

Claus,
I was going to say it was done for the photo. Locomotives were usually faced inwards in roundhouses so to allow maintainers free access to the front end. However, that may not be the case here since the roundhouse is in the background in this photo.

Bill Daniels 

_._,_._,_

Jack Mullen

the locomotives all positioned with the front facing toward the turntable. We mostly see these views with the front of the locomotive facing AWAY from the turntable... I wonder if this was normal practice or was done for the benefit of the photograph.
The roundhouse smoke vents are at the end of the roof toward the turntable, so facing the locos this way is normal practice here, and the house is designed accordingly.  I've seen either orientation in various photos of this vintage or earlier, and it seems like facing the other way became nearly universal by around the turn of the century. Legible weigh dates are 1883-85, so this is likely an 1885 photo.
So since our "steam era" is defined as 1900-1960, do we call these pre-steam era freight cars? Nah. How about ancestral steam-era cars?
I must be conditioned by 20th c. practices. That horizontal sheathing on DS cars just doesn't look right.  ;^)

Jack Mullen

Benjamin Hom

George Irwin asked:
"Question with respect to the lineup of boxcars: Any thoughts on what the letters inside the diamond represented?  There is at least "U" and "K" plus a "J" on the "C.C.R.R." boxcar."

My guess is those indicate cars assigned to freight forwarding lines.  Other examples include the diamond "S" used on the NYC&HR, and the folowing used on the PRR: Empire Line (arrow in rectangle), Union Line (circle and star), Anchor Line (anchor), Great Southern Despatch (intertwined "GSD").

Ben Hom

Spen Kellogg <spninetynine@...>

On 3/11/2019 9:30 AM, Claus Schlund &#92;(HGM&#92;) wrote:

Hi Craig and List Members,

Craig, you are refering to this image I believe...

I like the fact that one can zoom in a whole lot for some very nice detail viewing.

Note in the above image the roundhouse, with the locomotives all positioned with the front facing toward the turntable. We mostly see these views with the front of the locomotive facing AWAY from the turntable... I wonder if this was normal practice or was done for the benefit of the photograph.

Claus,

I would agree with you that usually we see tenders, but if you look at the roof and the smoke stacks you will see that standard practice at this roundhouse seems to be with the locomotives facing the turntable. The stacks are all close to the doors.

Spen Kellogg

David Allen

Mark Amfahr has a fine article in the UPHS magazine:

Amfahr, Mark. "Union Pacific's Overland Route: The First 20 Years of Operation." Streamliner v33n1.
The picture in question is included; the caption states that U denotes Union Division, K denotes Kansas division and (I guess) J denotes the CC.

Dave Allen

Bob Thompson

When I try to access these images I get the following response:
HTTP Status 404 - /luna/servlet/s/1xy326

type - Status report

message - /luna/servlet/s/1xy326

description - The requested resource is not available.

Apache Tomcat/7.0.67

Does anyone know what this means? I get the same response going to https://digitalcollections.uwyo.edu. I’m in the Great White North (Canada).

Bob Thompson
North Saanich, BC

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Bob,

In my case, it usually means try a different browser.  For some reason, browsers seem to be picky about some things.  Google can be particularly difficult at times, but none I’ve found are perfect. 

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

Sent: Monday, March 18, 2019 2:44 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] steam era freight car images, dating from 1900 to 1942

When I try to access these images I get the following response:
HTTP Status 404 - /luna/servlet/s/1xy326

type - Status report

message - /luna/servlet/s/1xy326

description - The requested resource is not available.

Apache Tomcat/7.0.67

Does anyone know what this means? I get the same response going to https://digitalcollections.uwyo.edu. I’m in the Great White North (Canada).

Bob Thompson
North Saanich, BC