A photo sent to me by a friend

Paul Doggett

Cheers Ron

Paul Doggett.  England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 12 Mar 2019, at 21:54, mopacfirst <ron.merrick@...> wrote:

if you were to stand at this location today, the Crescent City Connection, formerly the Greater New Orleans Bridge, would be right behind you.  You're looking geographically almost directly south, which at this point is upriver.  At the time of this photo, the T&P passenger station would be to your right and a few blocks away, and the L&N passenger station would be several blocks behind you, at the foot of Canal.  You're at the foot of the warehouse district, and the main tracks would be on the other side of those warehouses.  If you looked across the river you might be able to see the T&NO trackage on the Algiers side.

http://nutrias.org/exhibits/gateway/banana.htm

Ron Merrick

mopacfirst

if you were to stand at this location today, the Crescent City Connection, formerly the Greater New Orleans Bridge, would be right behind you.  You're looking geographically almost directly south, which at this point is upriver.  At the time of this photo, the T&P passenger station would be to your right and a few blocks away, and the L&N passenger station would be several blocks behind you, at the foot of Canal.  You're at the foot of the warehouse district, and the main tracks would be on the other side of those warehouses.  If you looked across the river you might be able to see the T&NO trackage on the Algiers side.

http://nutrias.org/exhibits/gateway/banana.htm

Ron Merrick

Paul Doggett

Sorry Eric no mention of where he got it from, that sure is a ding in the gondola.
Ed thank you for your information.

Paul Doggett.  England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 12 Mar 2019, at 16:25, Edward <edb8391@...> wrote:

That ship with a white diamond on the stack and all those ventilators, is a United Fruit Co. "banana boat," in service between US ports and company plantations in Central America.
Besides New Orleans, United Fruit also served Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York.
Bananas and tropical fruit in, all sorts of freight and materiel out, including passengers both ways.
Photo date to me seems to be the early 1910's.

Ed Bommer

Edward

That ship with a white diamond on the stack and all those ventilators, is a United Fruit Co. "banana boat," in service between US ports and company plantations in Central America.
Besides New Orleans, United Fruit also served Baltimore, Philadelphia and New York.
Bananas and tropical fruit in, all sorts of freight and materiel out, including passengers both ways.
Photo date to me seems to be the early 1910's.

Ed Bommer

Eric Hansmann

That's a nice string of ventilated boxcars. L&N is the easy one to ID. The next one back looks like it is lettered for Central of Georgia.

I wish we had a better look at those gondolas. Check out the big dent along the top chord on one of them.

Did your friend mention the original source?

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN