Missouri Pacific 50-foot SS DD: Modeling from MDC

Bill Welch

Recently there was a thread about the Model Die Casting 50-foot kit in its various forms including two wood doors that is exactly correct for the Missouri Pacific. Attached are two scans of Howard Ameling photos (printed by Joe Collias) that help document how accurate the MDC kit is for the MP. I would not ordinarily post photos from a commercial vender but Mr. Ameling is deceased and his collection is not in wide circulation but does have a home with the Nickel Plate Historical Society according to their website. Can any Nickel Plate HS members please tell us if a list of his photos is available?

Going from memory I think the only thing I did with my model other than replacing the molded on Grabs and Ladders, adding better underbody brake detail, and new handbrake was styrene strip under the doors.

Bill Welch

O Fenton Wells

Thanks so much Bill, if possible could you post a photo of your finished model.  Thanks
Fenton

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Bill Welch

No, it is in a storage box but it looks exactly like the two photos

Bill Welch

mopacfirst

Those are really good detail shots, especially showing the two-level Dalman trucks.  Those weren't available when this car first appeared, and maybe I didn't notice the difference, but I used the Roundhouse truck on this and a few other cars of similar era because it had the sort of roundness to the sideframe that some of these older trucks had.  I also notice these are drop grabs on the end right and side left corners, not sure what's on mine.
Regarding the wood doors, I will note this car was repacked at Lesperance St. (MP in St. Louis) 3-45.

Ron Merrick

Donald B. Valentine <riverman_vt@...>

     Somewhere around here, Fenton, I've got an MDC MoPac car that has been modified to look more like that
in the two photos; i.e. the side sills have been trimmed, details of the end door closing mechanism improved and
grabs replaced with wire, etc. It did not take a lot of time and really looks quite convincing. I'll see if it can be found
this weekend and also post a photo to give you a comparison of two different modified MDC cars. Certainly one of
MDC's more worthwhile offerings. I have the T&P and W.P. cars still to do and at least one other as well.

Cordially, Don Valentine

O Fenton Wells

Thanks Don
Fenton