Reading Flatcar Or Gondola?

Bob Chaparro

Reading Flatcar Or Gondola?

Which type of car is this?

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-12-05-18/X5810.jpg

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Edward

It's a flat car that has been converted to a low side, drop-end gondola.
Note the latch bars on the car end, to keep it in place when the car is empty.

Ed Bommer

Eric Hansmann

Gondola.

And since the ends drop inward, this is a mill gondola. F&C produces an HO kit for this car. Here’s how mine turned out.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Mar 16, 2019, at 3:19 PM, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Reading Flatcar Or Gondola?

Which type of car is this?

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-12-05-18/X5810.jpg

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Eric Hansmann

Not a flat car.

Built as a gondola. Drop ends enable mill loading.

Eric Hansmann
Murfreesboro, TN

On Mar 16, 2019, at 3:19 PM, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Reading Flatcar Or Gondola?

Which type of car is this?

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-12-05-18/X5810.jpg

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Brian Carlson

Gondola. Reading class GH D 29000-29999.  50 ton car.

Brian J. Carlson

On Mar 16, 2019, at 4:19 PM, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Reading Flatcar Or Gondola?

Which type of car is this?

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-12-05-18/X5810.jpg

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Andy Carlson

Flat car.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On Mar 16, 2019, at 4:19 PM, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

Reading Flatcar Or Gondola?

Which type of car is this?

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-12-05-18/X5810.jpg

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

David

This car was built as a drop-end gondola, though the design philosophy was "flat car with sides". Anyone else notice the safety chains on either side of the coupler?

David Thompson

Tim O'Connor

A gondola is defined by how it functions, not how it is built.

It's a gondola because it's an open car with a flat floor into which you can pour something and it won't
spill out, but it has no slope sheets - which would make it a "hopper".

--
*Tim O'Connor*
*Sterling, Massachusetts*

Andy Carlson

Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

A gondola is defined by how it functions, not how it is built.

It's a gondola because it's an open car with a flat floor into which you
can pour something and it won't
spill out, but it has no slope sheets - which would make it a "hopper".
****************
***********(****
Labels are necessary to aid in communications. These cars are what they are, and whatever we call them, they remain what they are. I could declare "A flat car is a flat frame with decking used to carry un-covered items. Must have stake pockets."  No less a valid decry than yours, Tim.

We could call this a "flat car with added sides to perform gondola type of work". I seem to see that the vertical posts appear to have been riveted/bolted to the fishbelly flatcar side, and I would not be surprised if the drop end and end sill were retrofits. Or who is to say that flat cars can't have drop ends?

A simular Flatcar photo I found today. Note this also has an end post for supporting a gondola style end.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

David Soderblom

Details:

Why the 3-link chains on the ends?

What are the ~3/4-inch rods on the ground?

What’s the lading? Limestone?

David Soderblom
Baltimore MD USA
drs@stsci.edu, 410-338-4543

David

Why the 3-link chains on the ends?
Presumably safety chains to keep cars together in the event of knuckle or draft gear failure.

What are the ~3/4-inch rods on the ground?
Rebar.

What’s the lading? Limestone?
The Reading gon I think is just gravel, though the car under the timber might be limestone. This pic is one of a large series showing the mid-1920s DL&W line relocation in New Jersey, which involved a great deal of concrete infrastructure.

David Thompson

Dennis Storzek

The three link chains are because it is a drop end go which means it was designed to carry loads that straddled two or more cars. Back in the era of the photo multiple cars under a single load were required to be chained together so someone couldn't accidently uncouple the cars and drop the load.

The rods are concrete reinforcing rod. Note the concrete mixer in the background. The structure that looks like a trestle is actually the former work for a concrete overpass.

Given the construction in the scene the load may well be crushed stone.
Dennis Storzek

Bruce Smith

David,

If you mean the rods on the right hand side of the photo (not the rebar in the center left), then these are the rods that actuate the interlocking plant. This is a manual interlocking and the rods run back to the tower and control the switches and signals in the interlocking from the "Armstrong" machine.

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

What are the ~3/4-inch rods on the ground?

What’s the lading?  Limestone?

David Soderblom
Baltimore MD USA
drs@..., 410-338-4543

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Andy and Friends,

Any comments or ID on the partial low-side gondola on the right side? Thee Fox trucks are really neat.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 3/16/19 8:31 PM, Andy Carlson wrote:

[...]

James Musgrove

It is a class GHd class gondola car.

29500 - 29999 built 1918 under AFE #7403 by Standard Steel Car $2317.85 each new Trust Series "G"

29711 build completion date was February 21, 1918 and was retired in May 1948.

Regards,
Jim Musgrove
Fredericksburg, VA

What are the ~3/4-inch rods on the ground?

What’s the lading?  Limestone?

David Soderblom
Baltimore MD USA
drs@..., 410-338-4543

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Jim,

Thanks for the info, but what road?

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 3/17/19 5:55 AM, James Musgrove via Groups.Io wrote:
It is a class GHd class gondola car.

29500 - 29999 built 1918 under AFE #7403 by Standard Steel Car $2317.85 each new Trust Series "G"

29711 build completion date was February 21, 1918 and was retired in May 1948.

Regards,
Jim Musgrove
Fredericksburg, VA

What are the ~3/4-inch rods on the ground?

What’s the lading?  Limestone?

David Soderblom
Baltimore MD USA
drs@..., 410-338-4543

Andy Brusgard <ajb1102@...>

Looks like three car loads of crushed stone and more than a few bags of cement.
If all they have is that little concrete mixer, that crew is going to be there a long time.

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Jim,

Sorry. I didn't realize until I re-read your post that you were referring to the Reading car. I was thinking too much about that unmarked car with the Fox trucks acting as an idler for the Holland submarine.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 3/17/19 7:17 AM, James Musgrove via Groups.Io wrote:
The Reading.

What are the ~3/4-inch rods on the ground?

What’s the lading?  Limestone?

David Soderblom
Baltimore MD USA
drs@..., 410-338-4543

Steve Salotti

Unfortunately I can't answer the question of the car type, but does anyone know where East Boyer was located? It doesn't show on any maps I have access to.

And here is my build of the F&C Reading Hopper at Okonite Corporation in Paterson New Jersey with a load of cable reels, which probably needs better bracing.

Steve Salotti