PRR Flatcar

Bob Chaparro

Can anyone provide more information about this flatcar?

http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-12-10-18/X5846.jpg

It seems to have quite a load capacity although the trucks do not appear to be heavy duty.

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

David Soderblom

Now that is a girder! Note the brake wheel is nowhere near the end…

David Soderblom
Baltimore MD USA
drs@stsci.edu, 410-338-4543

al_brown03

According to Gatwood and Buchan, "PRR Flat Cars", pp 23-28, 103-107, that's a PRR class FM flat, built 1902-13 with arch bar trucks. The trucks were rebuilt into 2D-F8 by replacing the side frames. F&C make a kit in HO scale.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Benjamin Hom

Bob Chaparro asked:
"Can anyone provide more information about this flatcar?
http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-12-10-18/X5846.jpg
It seems to have quite a load capacity although the trucks do not appear to be heavy duty."

PRR 925340, from PRR 925003 - 925521, Class FM.  The most numerous class of PRR flat car, with over 3,600 cars built, and these were 50-ton flats, NOT "heavy duty".

Ben Hom

Benjamin Hom

In fact, all three cars are Class FM.

Ben Hom

On ‎Saturday‎, ‎March‎ ‎16‎, ‎2019‎ ‎09‎:‎04‎:‎20‎ ‎PM‎ ‎EDT, Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:

Bob Chaparro asked:
"Can anyone provide more information about this flatcar?
http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-12-10-18/X5846.jpg
It seems to have quite a load capacity although the trucks do not appear to be heavy duty."

PRR 925340, from PRR 925003 - 925521, Class FM.  The most numerous class of PRR flat car, with over 3,600 cars built, and these were 50-ton flats, NOT "heavy duty".

Ben Hom

David

Note the ACL ventilated box at left.

A prior image in the series shows a train of 15 girders:
http://lists.railfan.net/erielackphoto.cgi?erielack-12-10-18/X5843.jpg

David Thompson

spsalso

I do not believe the "brake-wheels" showing on the car sides actuate the brakes.  Note that the far car has a vertical brake staff in the typical end location.  The location of the "brake-wheels" gets me thinking they have something to do with adjusting the load supports.  I do wonder how things worked when the cars encountered a curve.  As in the full-train picture.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Richard Townsend

I think they are just brake wheels and staffs that have been removed from the left and center flat cars to provide clearance for the load. The right-most flat car has a brake wheel in place. The left-most has no sign of a brake wheel that I can see. The center one has no brake wheel either.

As for going around curves, I suspect the American Bridge Company's fixtures or whatever they are called allowed the load to rotate a bit.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR

I do not believe the "brake-wheels" showing on the car sides actuate the brakes.  Note that the far car has a vertical brake staff in the typical end location.  The location of the "brake-wheels" gets me thinking they have something to do with adjusting the load supports.  I do wonder how things worked when the cars encountered a curve.  As in the full-train picture.

Ed

Edward Sutorik

Charlie Vlk

The brakewheel and staff have been dismounted and are loose on the deck, being secured by the rod that is part of the load tie-down. There may be some additional hold-downs that we can't see.
Charlie Vlk

Now that is a girder! Note the brake wheel is nowhere near the end…

David Soderblom
Baltimore MD USA
drs@stsci.edu, 410-338-4543

spsalso

Ah, yes.  THAT makes sense.  Two brake wheels were removed and stored; one remained on the last car for a parking brake.  This, of course, means they didn't have the drop-down feature.

Ed

Edward Sutorik