Topics

NKP Consist (Rabbit Skins)

Bob Chaparro

Here is a link to a photograph showing rabbit skins(?) about to be loaded into a Santa Fe refrigerator car in Liberal, Kansas:

http://www.kansasmemory.org/item/228197/page/1

Of note is that SFRD 12801 (or is it 12901?), a Class Rr-U refrigerator car built in 1917 by AC&F.

The accompanying information says the photograph was taken between 1910 and 1912, but this appears to be incorrect.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

mopacfirst

I just looked at this image, and the accompanying information seems to say between 1917-1920.

Ron Merrick

Bob Chaparro

"The accompanying information says the photograph was taken between 1910 and 1912, but this appears to be incorrect."
That is how the description originally read. I subsequently contacted the Kansas Historical Society with documentation on the date of the car so apparently they finally changed the caption.
Bob Chaparro
Hemet, CA

mopacfirst

I'm glad to hear that you could make a difference, and that it happened fairly quickly.

On a different tack, it's interesting that this was a Santa Fe car, since Liberal is very firmly Rock Island territory.  Maybe there just weren't any home road reefers to be had.

Ron Merrick