Topics

Weekend paint and decal project

A&Y Dave in MD

Friday night, I had some leftover Tru Color paint in my airbrush cup after painting my pulp racks, so I pulled out an Ertl low side gon project car, removed trucks and deck, then painted it black. I had a steam era image from 1929 showing a Southern gondola during construction work at Duke University. So I put together some graphics in Adobe Illustrator to match on Sunday and printed the decal sheet. Tonight I applied the decals. I was in too much of a hurry and screwed up the E, but I managed to finish the whole car on all sides. I added Tahoe trucks and I need to replace some grabs and stirrup steps, but I think it came out decent. Next one will have corner gussets, vertical brake wheel, scale couplers, and proper K brakes. But at least now I have one more example for my presentation on Ghost White decals at the Greensburg RPM meet. See you at my talk 4pm Saturday. The car will be on display.

Dave Bott

Scott

Which paper did you use? Tango Papa?

Scott McDonald

Schuyler Larrabee

Nice results. Now that project would have taken
me a month, not a weekend. I have to think about
things a lot. A lot.

Schuyler

-----Original Message-----
<main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of A&Y Dave
in MD
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2019 9:45 PM
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Weekend paint and decal
project

Friday night, I had some leftover Tru Color paint
in my airbrush cup after painting my pulp racks,
so I pulled out an Ertl low side gon project car,
removed trucks and deck, then painted it black. I
had a steam era image from 1929 showing a Southern
gondola during construction work at Duke
University. So I put together some graphics in
Adobe Illustrator to match on Sunday and printed
the decal sheet. Tonight I applied the decals. I
was in too much of a hurry and screwed up the E,
but I managed to finish the whole car on all
sides. I added Tahoe trucks and I need to replace
some grabs and stirrup steps, but I think it came
out decent. Next one will have corner gussets,
vertical brake wheel, scale couplers, and proper K
brakes. But at least now I have one more example
for my presentation on Ghost White decals at the
Greensburg RPM meet. See you at my talk 4pm
Saturday. The car will be on display.

Dave Bott

A&Y Dave in MD

Scott,

Yes. I've been using and trusting Tom's Tango Papa decal paper since I first got an ALPS back in 1998.

Dave

Monday, March 18, 2019, 10:06:15 PM, you wrote:

Which paper did you use? Tango Papa?

Scott McDonald

--
David Bott

Sent from David Bott's desktop PC

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi Dave,

Nicely done. A little weathering and distressing will make the 'screwed up E' look perfectly natural. I like the 1920's vehicles in the photo, they set and define the time line. Great job.

Claus Schlund

Sent: Monday, March 18, 2019 9:44 PM
To: undisclosed-recipients:
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Weekend paint and decal project

Friday night, I had some leftover Tru Color paint in my airbrush cup after painting my pulp racks, so I pulled out an Ertl low side gon project car, removed trucks and deck, then painted it black. I had a steam era image from 1929 showing a Southern gondola during construction work at Duke University. So I put together some graphics in Adobe Illustrator to match on Sunday and printed the decal sheet. Tonight I applied the decals. I was in too much of a hurry and screwed up the E, but I managed to finish the whole car on all sides. I added Tahoe trucks and I need to replace some grabs and stirrup steps, but I think it came out decent. Next one will have corner gussets, vertical brake wheel, scale couplers, and proper K brakes. But at least now I have one more example for my presentation on Ghost White decals at the Greensburg RPM meet. See you at my talk 4pm Saturday. The car will be on display.

Dave Bott

Alexander Schneider Jr

Dave,

Good start -- and obviously you can print another set to get the E.

I have a couple of questions about Ghost White decals

-- What printers can use them? In particular, only laser printers, which tend to be more expensive and larger footprint
on a desk?
-- Can the Ghost White toner be inserted when needed and replaced with black for normal use?

Thanks

Alex Schneider

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of A&Y Dave in MD
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2019 8:45 PM
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Weekend paint and decal project

Friday night, I had some leftover Tru Color paint in my airbrush cup after painting my pulp racks, so I pulled out an
Ertl low side gon project car, removed trucks and deck, then painted it black. I had a steam era image from 1929 showing
a Southern gondola during construction work at Duke University. So I put together some graphics in Adobe Illustrator to
match on Sunday and printed the decal sheet. Tonight I applied the decals. I was in too much of a hurry and screwed up
the E, but I managed to finish the whole car on all sides. I added Tahoe trucks and I need to replace some grabs and
stirrup steps, but I think it came out decent. Next one will have corner gussets, vertical brake wheel, scale couplers,
and proper K brakes. But at least now I have one more example for my presentation on Ghost White decals at the
Greensburg RPM meet. See you at my talk 4pm Saturday. The car will be on display.

Dave Bott

A&Y Dave in MD

Alexander,

Good questions that I have anticipated for my presentation this weekend.

There are a large number of printers that the company has produced the appropriate toner cartridge.  They favor HP printers, but many manufacturers are represented. See
https://www.ghost-white-toner.com/ghost-white-toner-for-your-printer/#tonerfinder   I could find one for my Samsung printer for example, although due to special circumstances (insurance covered replacement for my old ALPS which was destroyed in house fire) I bought a wireless HP color laser printer on Amazon to use with the Ghost White at my workbench (where the ALPS used to be).

The prices of color laser printers have gone down.  It used to be you could not get even a decent one for less than $500.  The HP Color Laser Jet M252dw model I bought a year ago only cost $200 and if I didn't already have the Samsung for my work, I would use the HP for all printing uses.  It is fairly compact, and being wireless, it goes where ever I want so long as there is a power cord.   Given that I don't print with my printer that often (maybe 1-2 times per week) I found that inkjet printers were cheaper, but the ink dried out regularly and I spent the amount of money the laser printer and cartridges cost within two years.  So I switched and have not used up anything but the black cartridge in my Samsung over the past 4 years.  So price wise, I'm coming out far ahead.

And the answer to your second question is: YES.  I find the HP printer's cartridges easy to swap.  I save the plastic cap that came on the new one and just swap which one it is on when I swap black for white or vice versa.   I store the one I'm NOT using in the bubble wrap and box the Ghost White arrived in.  It takes me less than 30 seconds to make the swap out of the box, into the printer and out of the printer into the box.

Dave

Wednesday, March 20, 2019, 3:56:22 PM, you wrote:

> Dave,

> Good start -- and obviously you can print another set to get the E.

> I have a couple of questions about Ghost White decals

> -- What printers can use them? In particular, only laser printers, which tend to be more expensive and larger footprint
> on a desk?
> -- Can the Ghost White toner be inserted when needed and replaced with black for normal use?

> Thanks

> Alex Schneider

> -----Original Message-----
> From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io [mailto:main@RealSTMFC.groups.io] On Behalf Of A&Y Dave in MD
> Sent: Monday, March 18, 2019 8:45 PM
> Subject: [RealSTMFC] Weekend paint and decal project

> Friday night, I had some leftover Tru Color paint in my airbrush cup after painting my pulp racks, so I pulled out an
> Ertl low side gon project car, removed trucks and deck, then painted it black. I had a steam era image from 1929 showing
> a Southern gondola during construction work at Duke University. So I put together some graphics in Adobe Illustrator to
> match on Sunday and printed the decal sheet. Tonight I applied the decals. I was in too much of a hurry and screwed up
> the E, but I managed to finish the whole car on all sides. I added Tahoe trucks and I need to replace some grabs and
> stirrup steps, but I think it came out decent. Next one will have corner gussets, vertical brake wheel, scale couplers,
> and proper K brakes. But at least now I have one more example for my presentation on Ghost White decals at the
> Greensburg RPM meet. See you at my talk 4pm Saturday. The car will be on display.

> Dave Bott

>

--
David Bott

Sent from David Bott's desktop PC