Reservations Needed: PRR X29 Boxcar (HO Scale)

Bob Chaparro

Reservations Needed: PRR X29 Boxcar (HO Scale)

The Intermountain Railway Company (https://www.intermountain-railway.com/)

will produce two versions of Pennsylvania Railroad's iconic X29 boxcar, and up to nine variants for other railroads, if the company receives enough advance reservations. To date, reservation have been lagging.

Here are the two PRR versions, each with six road numbers:

https://www.intermountain-railway.com/distrib/redcaboose/html/RR-37201.htm

https://www.intermountain-railway.com/distrib/redcaboose/html/RR-37202.htm

To reserve your car, InterMountain says, "... please let your favorite hobby dealer know that you would like the item. Reservations are NO RISK to you, we do not require any deposit and you may cancel your reservation at any time.

X29 boxcars also can be reserved for the following railroads:

Baltimore & Ohio

Central RR of New Jersey

Chicago Great Western

Ferrocaril de Chihuahua al Pacifico

Lehigh & New England

Maine Central

Nickel Plate Road

Norfolk & Western

United States Army

I have no connection, financial or otherwise, to InterMountain.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Bob,

I’ve been trying to find an online retailer since I read your original message on the subject, but thus far I haven’t found one that lists them as available for preorder or otherwise.  Too bad really, I’d like to get a number of the undec kits.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

[...]

gtws00

I have been using a online dealer called Hogtrainz (funny name) for a few years with no problems. Shipping is reasonable as well.
Direct link to X29 Pre order   https://hogtrainz.com/INTX29.htm
George Toman

Ted Schnepf

Hello,

Just talked to my Intermountain salesman about the X29.

The X29 models were originally made by Red Caboose.  RC also made  reefers, tanks, flats and gons, besides boxcars in HO scale.  For the past several years the Red Caboose products were sold by Intermountain and the product numbers had an RR prefix.  IM has now acquired the RC line and is streamlining the product numbering eliminating the RR prefix.

So the cars below are former RC cars and molds, but now in the IM family.  Some of the road names/paint schemes might be new releases.  Order from your favorite IM dealer.

See many of you Friday at the RPM East show.

Ted Schnepf

On Tuesday, March 19, 2019, 12:58:52 PM CDT, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io <chiefbobbb@...> wrote:

[...]

Corey Fischer

I’d be happy to order a bunch of the 7002 kits.

On Mar 20, 2019, at 12:30 PM, Ted Schnepf <railsunl@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Cory,

Curiously, the four undec kits, still with their “RC” item numbers, are not among those indicating “Reservations Needed.”  Also, the notation is “TBD” rather than “Taking Reservations,” so can reservations even be made for the undec kits, and will reservations for the undec kits help moved the painted and lettered cars forward?

I’m not sure what that means for the undec kits, but I certainly hope they will be forthcoming as I’m most interested in doing earlier versions of these cars.  The only one of the painted and lettered cars that is of any interest to me at the moment is No. 37201 “Pennsylvania – Circle Keystone – Patch.”

[...]

Ralph,

 I don’t think I can even make reservations anywhere for the undec kits. As a 1920s modeler, I need to paint and letter the cars myself. Right now I’m just buying kits online and repainting them myself.

Corey

On Mar 20, 2019, at 1:07 PM, Ralph W. Brown <rbrown51@...> wrote:

[...]

HI Corey,

I was wondering about that.

[...]

Bill Welch

Write and call InterMountain and tell them you want Undec's. As with medical care you need to be assertive.

Bill Welch

Bruce Smith

Folks,

Please be aware, that at least based on the artwork displayed by Intermountain, the brakes on these prospective car releases are incorrect.

The artwork (and description) indicates that these cars use the RC patch panel tooling, which, to the best of my knowledge, was only done for the mid-production (1928) body X29 by RC. Although not clear, the artwork appears to show plate ends, which is expected. The artwork also show a transverse early AB reservoir. These were only applied to the 1932 or later production X29s which are distinguished by the application of Dreadnaught ends. Subsequent plate end X29 conversions to AB brakes utilized the more well known AB reservoir, hung longitudinally under the carbody. Thus the offering by IM is incorrectly detailed with respect to the type and location of the brake reservoir (and some minor differences with brake levers as well).

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL

[...]

Nelson Moyer

Unfortunately, notifying Intermountain about errors in presence, absence, and location of detail parts and paint schemes on several pre-order releases hasn’t altered their behavior, as they continue to ignore the information provided. I preordered six X29 cars in good faith, hoping they knew what they were doing. I think I’ll hold off on those decorated cars and see if they offer undecorated kits that can be kitbased into correct cars. Apparently we can’t expect Intermountain to compete with Exact Rail or Tangent with respect to prototype details.

Perhaps if enough people provided corrections and/or complained, they would listen, or is that just wishful thinking?

Nelson Moyer

[...]

Brian Carlson

Wishful thinking. They have used the same arrangement on all their AB equipped cars since it’s what they tooled. Well what Red Caboose tooled.

Intermountain’s fidelity to the prototype varies widely depending on the model and paint scheme.

Brian J. Carlson

On Mar 20, 2019, at 5:17 PM, Nelson Moyer <npmoyer@...> wrote:

[...]

To clarify further, as Brian has pointed out, this is also what RC did. RC had two sets of underbodies, one for KD brakes which works for the early and 1928 bodies and the early AB which works for the 1932 bodies. However, RC also swapped them so that they could market "AB" cars to those who wanted a 1924 or 1928 body with later AB brakes... they just ain't the right AB brakes 😉

Of course, this issue is pretty easy to change, if you care too. Since I already have my 29 X29 kits, I'm good to go!

Regards

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

[...]

Hi Bruce, et al.,

Thanks for the heads up.

I’m interested in the undec kits, which I hope would come with KD brakes or maybe parts for both KD and AB brakes.  The Intermountain website lists five undec kits with the notation “TBD” in the product status column.  The first two of those are described as “1928” bodies, RC-7000 with steel plate ends, and RC-7001 with Dreadnaught ends.  RC-7002 is described as having a “1924” body with steel plate ends; RC-7003 is described as having an AAR body with steel plate ends; and RC-7004 is described as having a “1924” body with patches and steel plate ends.  All five descriptions are silent with regard to brakes.

According to the article in the March 2004 TKM, all except “those built in 1932 and 1934 had two-piece flat ends.”  The Dreadnaught ends were used only on the “final two production runs.”

The website doesn’t say anything about trucks either.  The TKM article states the the 1924 cars were built with 2D-F1 arch bar trucks, the majority of which were later replace with 2D-F8 trucks.  I infer from the article that the 1928 and subsequent years’ cars were built with 2D-F8 trucks, although some X29 boxcars, both freight and express service cars, were “seen” with 2D-F12 coil-elliptic trucks, but doesn’t say when.  Also, at least PRR 100688, “one of the last cars built,” was equipped at some point with GSC BX express trucks, but again the article doesn’t say when.

Question: Anyone know when the 1924 cars’ 2D-F1 trucks were replaced with 2D-F8 trucks?

The TKM article contains a wealth of other information about the details of these cars, as does another article in the April 2004 TKM dealing with X29 boxcars in express service.

Anyway, here’s hoping the various painted and lettered cars get enough reservations to move them on to production, and that the undec kits are produced as well.

[...]

The old undec kits came with both brake sprues, so hopefully that would continue.

To clarify, the '28 style body, as used as a descriptor refers to the rivet and side sheet overlap pattern. The 1932-34 cars have a 1928 "body" with dreadnought ends.

All production except early was built with 2D-F8 trucks. The early cars may have switched to 2D-F8 in the later production of these cars, or they may have been converted later, but it would appear not much later. I don't believe that the arch bars lasted beyond 1930.

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, Al

Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2019 3:26 PM

[...]

There was something about the two rivet patterns in the March 2004 TKM article, including illustrations, but I didn’t recall just when the different patterns were used (and I reread that article only a few hours ago), so thanks for the clarification.

I have a few of the Red Caboose kits waiting for attention, but since sharpening my focus on time periods, it has become clear that I will need undec kits for as built 1924 and 1928 cars,  When I manage to get all this well and truly sorted, I’ll likely have a number of later eras kits that will be excess to requirement.

Sent: Wednesday, March 20, 2019 3:26 PM

[...]

np328

         Sorry if the query seems somewhat pedantic to the group here,

After going through the files, and the Steam Era Freight Car site X29 pdf,  http://www.steamerafreightcars.com/modeling/proto%20kits/23arax29kits1.pdf , I am left with a small bit of uncertainty yet with fleet roster sizes on the clone X29s.

      OK, in the numbers listed on the hotlinks Bob you provide, no numbers like the link to the Intermountain RR-37201, as they do not match to the kit numbers on the pdf.
Could someone be kind enough to associate the IMR numbers to the pdf kit numbers? And yes, the date stamp on the bottom of the pdf reads 02/03/2002.  To those who compiled that originally, a belated thank you.

     Next, OK, I understand that the PRR ran a jillion X29’s and it is a signature PRR car.
Maybe not a jillion, 25,000 in 1950, STMFC # 38627; 23,549 in 1953, STMFC # 42328   And that any steam era modeler should have a good number. That is pretty much gospel.

However, for the other railroads that IRM is making available, I found some numbers on the pdf, could others help fill out or correct the fleet numbers?

Of the one Bob listed:

 Baltimore & Ohio (OK – on the pdf, B&O has multiple entries – help?) (13642 - STMFC # 42330)

Central RR of New Jersey - 21000-21799       (800 cars)

Chicago Great Western - 85000 – 87998      (even car numbers only so, 1499) (STMFC 132758)

Ferrocaril de Chihuahua al Pacifico (?)

Lehigh & New England – 8001 – 8500 (500 cars)

Maine Central – 5000 – 6003 (1003 cars)

Nickel Plate Road - 2500 – 25999 (1000)

Norfolk & Western – 41000 – 41999 (a notable 5000 cars.)     Is this almost a signature N&W XM?

United States Army (no numbers listed from the pdf)

Corrections welcome.

Also, I must dig up RPM 24, which covered the X29s.

Thanks Ed and Pat for the RPCs.      Thanks Don Burns for the prompt.  (STMFC 161225)

……………………………………….

Also, current comments on the comments of the pdf listed above are welcome. Especially regarding accuracy of the model for other than PRR, NKP.

………………………………………..

I have a small roster of X29s, picking them up where and when I could in the past. None the less, it is off to the LHS to put in a reservation in the very near future.

For those still wondering about X29s, STMFC post #38602 starts a good string from the past.

Late 1950s see STMFC post 27451.

When I undertake these searches, it is simply amazing the information that can be researched from this STMFC site alone. Just incredible.

(Search   X29   brought up 953 posts)

                                                                                                                                                                                      Jim Dick – St. Paul, MN

np328

  I see I made a rather large math error on the N&W fleet of X29s, should be 1000 not 5000. Whoops.
              However, was there a better more representative XM car for the N&W (first half 1950s era) than the X29?
                                                                                                                                                                                                          Jim Dick

Bill Welch

The N&W cars are their Bp class and taller than an X29, more like an PRR X28. The DT&I also had 100 X29 types

Regarding the B&O M-26, over 12,000 cars in six classes.

Speedwitch has decals for several of these for people that prefer to "roll their own" models.

For anyone interested attached is my building plan for several of these.

Bill Welch

Barry Kenner

Hello Group,
       The numbers listed on the intermountian site for the B&O version ranging between numbers 272511 thru 272685 are M-26D’s. This range of numbers listed in “Ted Culotta’s” Essential Freight Cars #37 reveal “Duryea Underames” and KD brakes with a Ajax handbrake. Thanks, Barry