Topics

PRR X29 Boxcar (HO Scale) Was reservations needed

Donald B. Valentine

Hello Bill Welch,

     Have an X-29 question that relates to the differences in height you have pointed out between
the real McCoy and the N&W version. Filing some photos taken in years past recently I came
across a couple taken in 1972 near Thomasville, NC. As you might expect from the location
these were High Point, Thomasville & Denton box cars that looked a lot like X-29's except that
they, too, appear to have been taller. Being "Yo'all" rolling stock can you tell me much about them?
Can't help but wonder if the HP & T & D is still around and, if so, if any of the cars survive as they
would make great museum pieces in a places like Salisbury, NC.

Cordially, Don Valentine

A&Y Dave in MD

Don,

There was a High Point, Thomasville, and Denton, and a High Point, Randleman, Ashboro and Southern.  These were two different railroads.  The first was acquired by the Winston-Salem Southbound in 1960.  The second was acquired by the Southern Railway.

The first had an IMWX HO scale model based upon the 1937 AAR design (if I got the acronym right).  I do not know of a commercial product for the second.

Dave Bott

--
David Bott

Sent from David Bott's desktop PC

A&Y Dave in MD

More info on the '23 design mod:
http://steamerafreightcars.com/gallery/boxauto/hptd424main.html

And I think this is the '37 design car :
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/original-w-negative-high-point-1933733409

and a nice story on the history book published  posthumously after the author's untimely death
https://www.the-dispatch.com/lifestyle/20101229/railroad-book-realizes-mans-last-wish

Dave Bott

Hello Bill Welch,

     Have an X-29 question that relates to the differences in height you have pointed out between
the real McCoy and the N&W version. Filing some photos taken in years past recently I came
across a couple taken in 1972 near Thomasville, NC. As you might expect from the location
these were High Point, Thomasville & Denton box cars that looked a lot like X-29's except that
they, too, appear to have been taller. Being "Yo'all" rolling stock can you tell me much about them?
Can't help but wonder if the HP & T & D is still around and, if so, if any of the cars survive as they
would make great museum pieces in a places like Salisbury, NC.

Cordially, Don Valentine

--
David Bott

Sent from David Bott's desktop PC

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Don,

In 1958 the HPT&D owned four boxcars, conveniently numbered 401-404. They had a 10' IH, and were 3548 cu ft. I don't know if these were the cars you referenced or not.

That said, circa 1944, MR published a "cyclopedia", from which I have a photocopy of an HPT&D 411 drawing, which had all the visual features of an X29 on steroids. The notes say the car was built in 1929. Sadly, this was an early wet photocopy I made in junior high school before clearer dry photocopiers became office necessities. The dimensional data is not legible, but appears to be 34XX or 35XX. The drawing, by the way, was scaled to 1/96.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 3/21/19 3:57 PM, Donald B. Valentine via Groups.Io wrote:
Hello Bill Welch,

     Have an X-29 question that relates to the differences in height you have pointed out between
the real McCoy and the N&W version. Filing some photos taken in years past recently I came
across a couple taken in 1972 near Thomasville, NC. As you might expect from the location
these were High Point, Thomasville & Denton box cars that looked a lot like X-29's except that
they, too, appear to have been taller. Being "Yo'all" rolling stock can you tell me much about them?
Can't help but wonder if the HP & T & D is still around and, if so, if any of the cars survive as they
would make great museum pieces in a places like Salisbury, NC.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Tim O'Connor

We discussed these years ago. Yes, they were 10-0 IH box cars built to the 1923 ARA design.

Some of them ended up on the West India Fruit roster.

Tim O'

On 3/21/2019 7:58 PM, Garth Groff wrote:
[...]

Sterling, Massachusetts

al_brown03

Sunshine offered kits of both the N&W BP/BPa (kits 26.16 and 26.17) and the HPT&D/WIF cars (kits 102.10 and 102.12). To re-emphasize, they're different heights both from each other and from the X29.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.

Donald B. Valentine

    That's certainly of interest. Thank you Garth.

Cordially, Don Valentine