HTP&D and WIF boxcars/reefers [was PRR X29 Boxcar (HO Scale)]

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Tim,

Yes. The 1958 WIF roster includes 101-199, 10' IH cars with a 3548 cubic foot capacity. There are only 10 cars shown in the series though.

Curiously, I don't see any WIF refrigerators, but they had some ex-FGEX cars. WIF 724 is shown on page 50 of John Henderson's CLASSIC FREIGHT CARS, V. 3, and has a reweigh  of JAX1255. I suspect that was the transfer date.
Does anyone know when they left the WIF roster? I have an Accurail wood refrigerator lettered for WIF, but it apparently doesn't fit my 1958 layout.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 3/21/19 10:07 PM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

We discussed these years ago. Yes, they were 10-0 IH box cars built to the 1923 ARA design.

Some of them ended up on the West India Fruit roster.

Tim O'

On 3/21/2019 7:58 PM, Garth Groff wrote:
Don,

In 1958 the HPT&D owned four boxcars, conveniently numbered 401-404. They had a 10' IH, and were 3548 cu ft. I don't know if these were the cars you referenced or not.

That said, circa 1944, MR published a "cyclopedia", from which I have a photocopy of an HPT&D 411 drawing, which had all the visual features of an X29 on steroids. The notes say the car was built in 1929. Sadly, this was an early wet photocopy I made in junior high school before clearer dry photocopiers became office necessities. The dimensional data is not legible, but appears to be 34XX or 35XX. The drawing, by the way, was scaled to 1/96.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 3/21/19 3:57 PM, Donald B. Valentine via Groups.Io wrote:
Hello Bill Welch,

     Have an X-29 question that relates to the differences in height you have pointed out between
the real McCoy and the N&W version. Filing some photos taken in years past recently I came
across a couple taken in 1972 near Thomasville, NC. As you might expect from the location
these were High Point, Thomasville & Denton box cars that looked a lot like X-29's except that
they, too, appear to have been taller. Being "Yo'all" rolling stock can you tell me much about them?
Can't help but wonder if the HP & T & D is still around and, if so, if any of the cars survive as they
would make great museum pieces in a places like Salisbury, NC.

Cordially, Don Valentine

Sterling, Massachusetts