Topics

High Point Thomasville & Denton

Bill Welch

Edited

Here are few photos of the interesting cars. It looks like their doors were replaced in the late 1940's/early 1950's. Maybe that is when the broad light stripe was added. I am not sure if the stripe was white or cream. The original door is very interesting to me. The attached blurb is from one of my Richard Prince books, probably ACL or SAL. Ten of the cars were sold to West India Fruit.

If I can sort out the stripe color, I might do my Sunshine model in that scheme on one side, original scheme and door on the other side.

Bill Welch

Roger Huber

Bill,

Thanks for the great pictures. That really is an interesting door. I don't think I've seen that style before. Wonder if anyone makes one in HO scale?

oldline1

Bill Welch

Sunshine offered kits for both West India Fruit and HPT&D. I have both fortunately. They were among the last offered.

BTW, it has not been mentioned but CNJ had a similar 1.5 door car, sans Duryea underframe w/a Hutchins roof, also done by Sunshine

Bill Welch

Donald B. Valentine

     Thanks for the additional HPT&D photos, Bill. They sure hit the spot. Given that mine were taken in Sept. 1972 and seem to post date the latest photo by ten years I need to find it in the large box of photos and neg. I am sorting and post it as well. In my
photo the cars were painted and aluminum color and IIRC clearly stenciled "For Furniture Loading", which in the part of No. Car.
should not surprise anyone. Given that the younger generations don't like "case goods" (good quality hardwood furniture) and
seem to prefer IKEA I wonder how many of the better furniture manufacturers in that area survive as many further north no longer do.

Thanks again Bill,  Don Valentine

BRIAN PAUL EHNI

I have found these additional HPT&D boxcar photos online over the years.

Thanks!
--

Brian Ehni

From: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> on behalf of Bill Welch <fgexbill@...>
Date: Friday, March 22, 2019 at 11:26 AM
To: <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] High Point Thomasville & Denton

Here are few photos of the interesting cars. It looks like their doors were replaced in the late 1940's/early 1950's. Maybe that is when the broad light stripe was added. I am not sure if the stripe was white or cream. The original door is very interesting to me. The attached blurb is from one of my Richard Prince books, probably ACL or SAL. Ten of the cars were sold to West India Fruit.

If I can sort our the stripe color, I might do my Sunshine model in that scheme on one side, original scheme and door on the other side.

Bill Welch

David

HPT&D 405 is not one of the tall ARA boxes; rather, it is an ex-N&W B-7 (rebuilt from their class BS) with a 1920s Viking peaked roof (not the Viking Corrugated roof of the 1930s).

David Thompson