Topics

What Are These?

Bob Chaparro

What is the purpose of this hardware (circled in red) on the end of the boxcar?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Tim O'Connor

Brackets to hold marker lamps?

On 3/22/2019 2:33 PM, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io wrote:

What is the purpose of this hardware (circled in red) on the end of the boxcar?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Attachments:

_._,_._,_

Sterling, Massachusetts

Paul Doggett

An adjustable diagonal brace it’s quite prominent on this Wabash car the ATSF also had them on I think the Bx11 but that was external.

Paul Doggett.    England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 22 Mar 2019, at 18:37, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Brackets to hold marker lamps?

On 3/22/2019 2:33 PM, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io wrote:

What is the purpose of this hardware (circled in red) on the end of the boxcar?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Attachments:

Paul Doggett

Aa ATSF Bx11 you can clearly see the diagonal brace.

Paul Doggett.   England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

On 22 Mar 2019, at 18:50, Paul Doggett via Groups.Io <paul.doggett2472@...> wrote:

An adjustable diagonal brace it’s quite prominent on this Wabash car the ATSF also had them on I think the Bx11 but that was external.

Paul Doggett.    England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿

<image1.jpeg>

On 22 Mar 2019, at 18:37, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Brackets to hold marker lamps?

On 3/22/2019 2:33 PM, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io wrote:

What is the purpose of this hardware (circled in red) on the end of the boxcar?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Attachments:

Rich C

Tim, I never seen marker brackets that low on the ends before, although to me it makes better sense when climbing the grabs and attaching them. They generally are in the middle quadrant on the ends.

Rich Christie

On Friday, March 22, 2019, 1:36:31 PM CDT, Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Brackets to hold marker lamps?

On 3/22/2019 2:33 PM, Bob Chaparro via Groups.Io wrote:

What is the purpose of this hardware (circled in red) on the end of the boxcar?

Thanks.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Attachments:

Dennis Storzek

As others have said they are the anchor castings for diagonal rods that attach to the side sill in the vicinity of the body bolster. These were common on double sheathed wood frame cars with steel ends. All the NYCS 36 and 40 foot DS cars had them and the feature carried over into the USRA DS boxcar. Single sheathed cars typically made use of a flat strap for the same function.

Dennis Storzek

Donald B. Valentine

     To add a little more to this on truss rod cars not too much older than the DL&W car and Wabash car used to illustrate
these bolted braces the same style of castings and nuts could be found a bit lower on the ends of the cars, In that example
they were nuts on the ends of truss rods. The brace ends that you ask about, Bob, are a left over from the truss rod era.
For truss rod cars the ends of the truss rods went over the bolster and then angled up into the end of the car at a flatter angle
than your photo indicates for the brace and sometimes they went straight from the bolster top into the end sill. I believe this was largely dependent on whether the end of the car was steel or wood construction and with the latter the truss rod end would more likely have gone straight to the end sill. Hope this further explanation helps.If not you might also look at the No. Pac. truss rod
car on pages 118 & 119 of the 1922 Car Builders Cyc. or similar drawings in almost any earlier edition.

Cordially, Don Valentine

mark_landgraf

These appear to be tensioning nuts for a diagonal bracing that would help transfer internal forces from shifting loads from the car end to the floor. The other end would penetrate the car floor near the body bolster.

Remember that the corrugated car ends were to help stiffen the car ends so they could better absorb internal shock from shifting loads.

Mark Landgraf
Albany NY