HO Wine Door Locks

mike turner

Who makes the most accurate HO scale Wine door locks?

The target cars are various SOU steam era hoppers.

A search turned up these.

Westerfield 1171 wine door lock set of 4 $2.50

Bowser 1-74077 H21 left wine door lock $0.35

Bowser 1-74078 H21 right wine door lock $0.35

Others?

Thx.

Mike Turner

MP-Z35

Dennis Storzek

If I recall correctly the Westerfield parts model the locks used on some drop bottom gons and the shape of the mounting bracket is different than for a hopper. The Bowser parts were likely designed for one of their hopper kits. You might also be able to use the hopper doors from the Accurail twin or triple hopper detail sprue, available at accurail.com. those doors have the locks molded on.

Dennis Storzek

Curt Fortenberry

I use the brass ones from Custom Finishing.  Available from Walthers and in stock.  I didn’t know Bowser had a detail part.

Curt Fortenberry

O Fenton Wells

Thanks Curt I just ordered some
Fenton

On Mar 23, 2019, at 1:21 PM, Curt Fortenberry <curtfortenberry@...> wrote:

I use the brass ones from Custom Finishing.  Available from Walthers and in stock.  I didn’t know Bowser had a detail part.

Curt Fortenberry

Bruce Smith

Mike,

I would go with the Westerfield. They are both made for the H21 and the Westerfields are finer detailed. The Bowser part includes the side of the door as well as the latch.

Regards,

Bruce Smith

Auburn, AL

Who makes the most accurate HO scale Wine door locks?

The target cars are various SOU steam era hoppers.

A search turned up these.

Westerfield 1171 wine door lock set of 4 $2.50

Bowser 1-74077 H21 left wine door lock $0.35

Bowser 1-74078 H21 right wine door lock $0.35

Others?

Thx.

Mike Turner

MP-Z35

The dies were cut for me by Grandt Line.  I don’’t know if the current owner was able to retrieve them when Grandt went out of business. – Al Westerfield

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Who makes the most accurate HO scale Wine door locks?

The target cars are various SOU steam era hoppers.

A search turned up these.

Westerfield 1171 wine door lock set of 4 $2.50

Bowser 1-74077 H21 left wine door lock $0.35

Bowser 1-74078 H21 right wine door lock $0.35

Others?

Thx.

Mike Turner

MP-Z35

dahminator68

Hello Al & All:  The Wine lock dies were sent to me by Grandt Line before hey shut down.  We also received a good supply of Wine Locks (#1171 ) that should hold us until we get someone else to make them.

Thank you,
Andrew Dahm
Westerfieldmodels@...

On Saturday, March 23, 2019, 9:44 PM, al_westerfield <westerfieldalfred@...> wrote:

The dies were cut for me by Grandt Line.  I don’’t know if the current owner was able to retrieve them when Grandt went out of business. – Al Westerfield

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Who makes the most accurate HO scale Wine door locks?

The target cars are various SOU steam era hoppers.

A search turned up these.

Westerfield 1171 wine door lock set of 4 $2.50

Bowser 1-74077 H21 left wine door lock $0.35

Bowser 1-74078 H21 right wine door lock $0.35

Others?

Thx.

Mike Turner

MP-Z35

O Fenton Wells

I used the Westerfield Wine lock castings on the Southern ARA 70 ton 3 bay hoppers and they are very nice.
Just say'in
Fenton

On Sun, Mar 24, 2019 at 11:08 AM dahminator68 via Groups.Io <dahminator68=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello Al & All:  The Wine lock dies were sent to me by Grandt Line before hey shut down.  We also received a good supply of Wine Locks (#1171 ) that should hold us until we get someone else to make them.

Thank you,
Andrew Dahm
Westerfieldmodels@...

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd

Tim O'Connor

I concur. I've used the Westerfield wine locks and they look very good.

One other possibility might be Arrowhead Models. I don't know whether Blaine offers detail
parts yet but I think the H39 hopper cars have that detail.

Tim O'

On 3/24/2019 12:44 AM, al_westerfield wrote:

The dies were cut for me by Grandt Line.  I don’’t know if the current owner was able to retrieve them when Grandt went out of business. – Al Westerfield

I would go with the Westerfield. They are both made for the H21 and the Westerfields are finer detailed. The Bowser part includes the side of the door as well as the latch.

Bruce Smith

Sterling, Massachusetts

al_brown03

FWIW, Wine door locks are catalogued on the current Westerfield site.

Al Brown, Melbourne, Fla.