Topics

Ladder material?

Rich Gibson

Speaking of ladders....
Does anyone currently manufacture metal ladder material in long pieces that can be cut to desired length?  I’ve been scratchbuilding cabooses and have found that I do not have the material to fabricate the ladders that include the rails that go up onto the roof. The individual ladder pieces need to be at least 13’ (HO) long so that the rungs can be removed along a portion and stiles bent into the roof. The only material I’ve found so far is stuff leftover from old wood kits. Ladders by Yarmouth model works are not long enough and Plastruct material does not bend sufficiently. Any ideas welcome. 

Rich Gibson
Golden, CO

Patrick Wade

Walthers used to, and may still, carry punched metal ladder stock that can be cut to any length. And caboose ladders is what I used it for.

Pat Wade
Santa Barbara, CA

On Mar 23, 2019, at 6:18 PM, Rich Gibson via Groups.Io <richgibson89@...> wrote:

Speaking of ladders....
Does anyone currently manufacture metal ladder material in long pieces that can be cut to desired length?  I’ve been scratchbuilding cabooses and have found that I do not have the material to fabricate the ladders that include the rails that go up onto the roof. The individual ladder pieces need to be at least 13’ (HO) long so that the rungs can be removed along a portion and stiles bent into the roof. The only material I’ve found so far is stuff leftover from old wood kits. Ladders by Yarmouth model works are not long enough and Plastruct material does not bend sufficiently. Any ideas welcome. 

Rich Gibson
Golden, CO

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Rich,

Oregon Rail Supply used to offer such brass ladder stock.  It still shows up as Item 142 on the order form.  See: http://oregonrail.com/order.html.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

Sent: Saturday, March 23, 2019 9:18 PM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Ladder material?

Speaking of ladders....
Does anyone currently manufacture metal ladder material in long pieces that can be cut to desired length?  I’ve been scratchbuilding cabooses and have found that I do not have the material to fabricate the ladders that include the rails that go up onto the roof. The individual ladder pieces need to be at least 13’ (HO) long so that the rungs can be removed along a portion and stiles bent into the roof. The only material I’ve found so far is stuff leftover from old wood kits. Ladders by Yarmouth model works are not long enough and Plastruct material does not bend sufficiently. Any ideas welcome.

Rich Gibson
Golden, CO

John Sykes III

You can buy caboose ladders already made with the loop in the top as parts from Athearn.

-- John

vapeurchapelon

Hello Rich,

I remember Taurus Products brass caboose ladders:

https://www.oldpullman.ch/kleinteile-rollmaterial-metall/30256-707-101-ho-caboose-ladders-kit-.html

These certainly look much better than any stamped and bent "ladder strip".

Johannes
Modeling the early post-war years up to about 1953

Gesendet: Sonntag, 24. März 2019 um 02:18 Uhr
Von: "Rich Gibson via Groups.Io" <richgibson89@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Betreff: [RealSTMFC] Ladder material?
Speaking of ladders....

Rich Gibson
Golden, CO

Schuyler Larrabee

Somebody used to make etched caboose ladders.  They were kind of a bear to assemble but you supplied wire to go through the etched stiles and soldered it all together.  The top ends of the stiles were hook-shaped so that the roof end could be bent to make an attachment tab, and since they were to be bent by the modeler, they could be made uneven to sit properly on a sloping or round roof.  I made a bunch of these for the Club’s caboose fleet.  Unfortunately I cannot recall “Somebody’s” name.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of John Sykes III via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2019 8:53 AM
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Ladder material?

You can buy caboose ladders already made with the loop in the top as parts from Athearn.

-- John

Schuyler Larrabee

Yep, that’s the ticket.  Your email, Johannes, came while I was typing out my last message.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of vapeurchapelon
Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2019 10:51 AM

Hello Rich,

I remember Taurus Products brass caboose ladders:

These certainly look much better than any stamped and bent "ladder strip".

Johannes

Modeling the early post-war years up to about 1953

Gesendet: Sonntag, 24. März 2019 um 02:18 Uhr
Von: "Rich Gibson via Groups.Io" <richgibson89@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Betreff: [RealSTMFC] Ladder material?

Speaking of ladders....

Rich Gibson
Golden, CO

Pierre Oliver

Sylvan Scale Models offered etched caboose ladder stiles for their CNR caboose kit
They are available again 

On Mar 24, 2019, at 11:02 PM, Schuyler Larrabee via Groups.Io <schuyler.larrabee@...> wrote:

Somebody used to make etched caboose ladders.  They were kind of a bear to assemble but you supplied wire to go through the etched stiles and soldered it all together.  The top ends of the stiles were hook-shaped so that the roof end could be bent to make an attachment tab, and since they were to be bent by the modeler, they could be made uneven to sit properly on a sloping or round roof.  I made a bunch of these for the Club’s caboose fleet.  Unfortunately I cannot recall “Somebody’s” name.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of John Sykes III via Groups.Io

-- John

william darnaby

I believe it was Tarus.  I used these on a scratchbuilt Alton and Southern caboose year ago.

Bill Darnaby

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Schuyler Larrabee via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, March 24, 2019 10:02 PM

Schuyler

-- John

Randy Hammill

The Taurus ones are very nice, but extremely soft and bend way too easily. I probably have a bunch I’ll never use of anybody wants some.

Old and Weary Car shops made similar ones for their caboose kits, I think Al still has some. They are like the Taurus ones, but stainless steel so they are much more durable. You can’t really solder them, though.

Randy 

--
Randy Hammill
Modeling the New Haven Railroad 1946-1954

--

Randy Hammill
Modeling the New Haven Railroad 1946-1954  | https//:blog.newbritainstation.com

Schuyler Larrabee

Yeah, Randy, they do bend, perhaps especially in a ham-handed club environment, but I’ve always been able to bend them back.  I think they are pretty much prototypical thickness, therefore liable to be bent.

Schuyler

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Randy Hammill
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2019 8:38 PM
To: main@realstmfc.groups.io

The Taurus ones are very nice, but extremely soft and bend way too easily. I probably have a bunch I’ll never use of anybody wants some.

Old and Weary Car shops made similar ones for their caboose kits, I think Al still has some. They are like the Taurus ones, but stainless steel so they are much more durable. You can’t really solder them, though.

Randy 

--

Randy Hammill

--

Randy Hammill

Randy Hammill

All gone.

But, when I pulled them out I realized I had the Trout Creek Engineering ones which, if I recall correctly, are the same ones. I think they purchased their line. 

In any event, you can get them direct:

P2002 is the 5 rung version, P2012 is the 4 rung version. $9.00/pair.

They look like this:

Randy

--
Randy Hammill

--

Randy Hammill

Ken Adams

I'm looking for a supply of the sharp or acute angled top SP caboose ladders.  No help available from Walthers on spare parts for their SP C-30 caboose. I have bent the Athearn sheet metal stampings in the past but want a proper SP style of styles.

A robust stainless or strong flexible delrin plastic similar to what Kadee uses would be wonderful. Ironic that Kadee does make these for their N scale Microtrains C-30 caboose.

Pierre
I checked both Yarmouth and Elgin sites and did not see any reference/illustration of the former Sylvan ladders to see if they had the right style of style bend.

william darnaby

I have made my own by forming Detail Associates flat brass to the desired shape.  The stiles are then soldered together and drilled for the rungs so the holes are assured to line up.  The stiles are then separated and reassembled like a kit with the rungs made from wire.

Bill Darnaby

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ken Adams
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2019 1:06 PM

I'm looking for a supply of the sharp or acute angled top SP caboose ladders.  No help available from Walthers on spare parts for their SP C-30 caboose. I have bent the Athearn sheet metal stampings in the past but want a proper SP style of styles.

A robust stainless or strong flexible delrin plastic similar to what Kadee uses would be wonderful. Ironic that Kadee does make these for their N scale Microtrains C-30 caboose.

Pierre
I checked both Yarmouth and Elgin sites and did not see any reference/illustration of the former Sylvan ladders to see if they had the right style of style bend.