Topics

Ladder material?

Rich Gibson

Speaking of ladders....
Does anyone currently manufacture metal ladder material in long pieces that can be cut to desired length?  I’ve been scratchbuilding cabooses and have found that I do not have the material to fabricate the ladders that include the rails that go up onto the roof. The individual ladder pieces need to be at least 13’ (HO) long so that the rungs can be removed along a portion and stiles bent into the roof. The only material I’ve found so far is stuff leftover from old wood kits. Ladders by Yarmouth model works are not long enough and Plastruct material does not bend sufficiently. Any ideas welcome.

Rich Gibson
Golden, CO

Patrick Wade

Walthers used to, and may still, carry punched metal ladder stock that can be cut to any length. And caboose ladders is what I used it for.

Pat Wade
Santa Barbara, CA

On Mar 23, 2019, at 6:18 PM, Rich Gibson via Groups.Io <richgibson89@...> wrote:

Speaking of ladders....
Does anyone currently manufacture metal ladder material in long pieces that can be cut to desired length?  I’ve been scratchbuilding cabooses and have found that I do not have the material to fabricate the ladders that include the rails that go up onto the roof. The individual ladder pieces need to be at least 13’ (HO) long so that the rungs can be removed along a portion and stiles bent into the roof. The only material I’ve found so far is stuff leftover from old wood kits. Ladders by Yarmouth model works are not long enough and Plastruct material does not bend sufficiently. Any ideas welcome.

Rich Gibson
Golden, CO

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Rich,

Oregon Rail Supply used to offer such brass ladder stock.  It still shows up as Item 142 on the order form.  See: http://oregonrail.com/order.html.

Pax,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

Von: "Rich Gibson via Groups.Io" <richgibson89@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Betreff: [RealSTMFC] Ladder material?
Speaking of ladders....
Does anyone currently manufacture metal ladder material in long pieces that can be cut to desired length?  I’ve been scratchbuilding cabooses and have found that I do not have the material to fabricate the ladders that include the rails that go up onto the roof. The individual ladder pieces need to be at least 13’ (HO) long so that the rungs can be removed along a portion and stiles bent into the roof. The only material I’ve found so far is stuff leftover from old wood kits. Ladders by Yarmouth model works are not long enough and Plastruct material does not bend sufficiently. Any ideas welcome.

Rich Gibson
Golden, CO

Schuyler Larrabee

Somebody used to make etched caboose ladders.  They were kind of a bear to assemble but you supplied wire to go through the etched stiles and soldered it all together.  The top ends of the stiles were hook-shaped so that the roof end could be bent to make an attachment tab, and since they were to be bent by the modeler, they could be made uneven to sit properly on a sloping or round roof.  I made a bunch of these for the Club’s caboose fleet.  Unfortunately I cannot recall “Somebody’s” name.

Schuyler

You can buy caboose ladders already made with the loop in the top as parts from Athearn.

-- John

Schuyler Larrabee

Yep, that’s the ticket.  Your email, Johannes, came while I was typing out my last message.

Schuyler

Gesendet: Sonntag, 24. März 2019 um 02:18 Uhr
Von: "Rich Gibson via Groups.Io" <richgibson89@...>
An: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io

Speaking of ladders....
Does anyone currently manufacture metal ladder material in long pieces that can be cut to desired length?  I’ve been scratchbuilding cabooses and have found that I do not have the material to fabricate the ladders that include the rails that go up onto the roof. The individual ladder pieces need to be at least 13’ (HO) long so that the rungs can be removed along a portion and stiles bent into the roof. The only material I’ve found so far is stuff leftover from old wood kits. Ladders by Yarmouth model works are not long enough and Plastruct material does not bend sufficiently. Any ideas welcome.

Rich Gibson
Golden, CO

Pierre Oliver

Sylvan Scale Models offered etched caboose ladder stiles for their CNR caboose kit
They are available again

On Mar 24, 2019, at 11:02 PM, Schuyler Larrabee via Groups.Io <schuyler.larrabee@...> wrote:

Somebody used to make etched caboose ladders.  They were kind of a bear to assemble but you supplied wire to go through the etched stiles and soldered it all together.  The top ends of the stiles were hook-shaped so that the roof end could be bent to make an attachment tab, and since they were to be bent by the modeler, they could be made uneven to sit properly on a sloping or round roof.  I made a bunch of these for the Club’s caboose fleet.  Unfortunately I cannot recall “Somebody’s” name.

Schuyler

You can buy caboose ladders already made with the loop in the top as parts from Athearn.

-- John

william darnaby

I believe it was Tarus.  I used these on a scratchbuilt Alton and Southern caboose year ago.

Bill Darnaby