Topics

Op Sessions

Jared Harper

I have monthly op sessions on my Santa Fe Alma branch layout. My layout is 22 1/2 x 30' with seven stations--Burlingame, Harveyville, Bradford, Eskridge, Hessdale, Allendorph, and Alma. I invite three guys to my home for lunch at noon. After lunch we go to the basment where my three visitors run trains 95/96 the daily except Sunday mixed train filling the functions of engineer, conductor and brakeman.  I am the question answerer, troubleshooter, etc.  I am 74.  The other operators range in age from their 30's to a few years older than I am.  The after lunch op sessions run from about 2 1/2 hours to 4 hours.  As the operating group gets more geezerly our backs, legs and feet start failing us and we start to hurt.  Ways have been discussed on how reduce our physical suffering and maintain our enjoyment.  Several things have bee suggested:

1.  The prototype train was an out and back operation  Train 95 went from Burlingame to Alma in the morning.  When their work was done at Alma they ate lunch.  It has been suggested that we follow the prototype's lead, i.e.  have the guys arrive about 10:30, run train 95, and then go upstairs for lunch.  After lunch we can go back to our jobs running train 96.  One of our locals breaks his op session at lunch.  After lunch we return to operating until the ops are finished  Unfortunately some of the crew leaves and with just three crew that doesn't work.
2.  Running train 95  could be one op session  on one day.  Train 96 could run another day in another op session.  Seems to me that would ruin continutiy.

Anyway, I would like to hear your suggestions.

Jared Harper

John Barry

Jared,

I would vote for the lunch break option.  We do that at Jeff Mutter's and I don't recall losing many if any guys at the break.  Adjusting your start time to split the session also allows an earlier departure without compromising any of your current scheme as you already have lunch.

John

John Barry

ATSF North Bay Lines
Golden Gates & Fast Freights
Lovettsville, VA

707-490-9696

PO Box 44736
Washington, DC 20026-4736

On Monday, March 25, 2019, 6:55:23 PM EDT, Jared Harper <harperandbrown@...> wrote:

[...]

D. Scott Chatfield

If your backs and feet and knees hurt too much you could go full-prototype and abandon the line.  Pull up the rails, cover the roadbed with weeds, let the local volunteer fire department burn a depot or elevator for practice (Heather would love watch that!), etc.  Then the old farts could eat lunch then go downstairs and reminisce about the "good old days" when Death Valley Scotty ran the varnish across the Alma Branch at 85 mph or whatever delusions old farts come up with....

Might I suggest a bathroom break after turning the train at Alma.  And some of those interlocking foam floor mats for the area around Burlingame because folks spend a lot of time there standing around scratching their heads....

Scott Chatfield

mike turner

Scott,

You know us way too well.

That hurts. :)

Mike

MP-Z35

On 3/25/2019 10:43 PM, Scott Chatfield wrote:
If your backs and feet and knees hurt too much you could go full-prototype and abandon the line.  Pull up the rails, cover the roadbed with weeds, let the local volunteer fire department burn a depot or elevator for practice (Heather would love watch that!), etc.  Then the old farts could eat lunch then go downstairs and reminisce about the "good old days" when Death Valley Scotty ran the varnish across the Alma Branch at 85 mph or whatever delusions old farts come up with....

Might I suggest a bathroom break after turning the train at Alma.  And some of those interlocking foam floor mats for the area around Burlingame because folks spend a lot of time there standing around scratching their heads....

Scott Chatfield

David Payne

Years ago there was a cartoon in MR depicting a woman at the door of a cabin speaking to her husband while a “bumpkin’” son sat in a rocking chair with a blade of grass clenched in his teeth and eyes closed. She was saying, “I’m so happy Clem has a hobby; he’s modeled an abandoned railroad.” In front of “Clem” was a small display with a locomotive buried in over-growth.
DPayne

PS: I think my layout feels abandoned!