Sunshine GATX Type 17 Tank Cars - better instructions for building them

Todd Sullivan

Hello tank car resinators,

Several weeks ago, I offered to compile a better set of instructions for building Sunchine's GATX Type 17 tank cars.  They are attached as an Excel workbook.  Since I'm not sure how to load such files to the groups.io site and this group, I'll let someone else do that.

A couple of caveats: 
1) I have built 4 kits up through step 31, and I am confident that there won't be further changes in the sequence of the steps.
2)  I have not provided photos of the cars yet.  I hope to do that this weekend, and will publish another revision of the instructions when I do.

Please note that the Notes are on a separate tab in the Excel workbook.

Questions, comments and corrections are always welcome.

Todd Sullivan

O Fenton Wells

Thanks Todd, I have a couple in inventory and appreciate your help.  I built the Warren kit years ago and sorta stumbled through it.
Fenton

On Wed, Mar 27, 2019 at 11:08 PM Todd Sullivan via Groups.Io <sullivant41=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Several weeks ago, I offered to compile a better set of instructions for building Sunchine's GATX Type 17 tank cars.  They are attached as an Excel workbook.  Since I'm not sure how to load such files to the groups.io site and this group, I'll let someone else do that.

A couple of caveats: 
1) I have built 4 kits up through step 31, and I am confident that there won't be further changes in the sequence of the steps.
2)  I have not provided photos of the cars yet.  I hope to do that this weekend, and will publish another revision of the instructions when I do.

Todd Sullivan

--
Fenton Wells
250 Frye Rd
Pinehurst NC 28374
910-420-8106
srrfan1401@...

Schleigh Mike

Hello Todd Sullivan!

I have some material on this issue to share off line but your address is not working for me.  Please respond directly by email or call me at 724-458-7405.

Regards----Mike Schleigh in Grove City, Penna.  724-458-7405

On Wednesday, March 27, 2019, 11:08:05 PM EDT, Todd Sullivan via Groups.Io <sullivant41@...> wrote:

A couple of caveats: 

Todd Sullivan

Tom Madden

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 04:39 AM, O Fenton Wells wrote:
Thanks Todd, I have a couple in inventory and appreciate your help.  I built the Warren kit years ago and sorta stumbled through it.
Fenton

?????  The Type 17 was a GATC radial riveted tank. Sunshine's #99.x kit came with a cast tank body and wasn't offered with Warren decals. Are you thinking of Sunshine's earlier #36.x ACF insulated tank kit where you made the tank by forming a cast wrapper around a length of PVC pipe? That did come with Warren decals. Difficult kit. Both #99 and #36 kits were offered with Cities Service decals.

Tom Madden

O Fenton Wells

Probably Tom, I’m on the road and was going from memory and at my age that’s dangerous 
Fenton 

On Mar 28, 2019, at 11:28 AM, Tom Madden via Groups.Io <pullmanboss@...> wrote:

On Thu, Mar 28, 2019 at 04:39 AM, O Fenton Wells wrote:
Fenton

?????  The Type 17 was a GATC radial riveted tank. Sunshine's #99.x kit came with a cast tank body and wasn't offered with Warren decals. Are you thinking of Sunshine's earlier #36.x ACF insulated tank kit where you made the tank by forming a cast wrapper around a length of PVC pipe? That did come with Warren decals. Difficult kit. Both #99 and #36 kits were offered with Cities Service decals.

Tom Madden