Delaware & Hudson 36-foot DS boxcars

Bill Welch

Inspired by an item on the Speedwitch Blog (http://prototopics.blogspot.com/2019/02/wordy-wednesday-delaware-hudson-36-foot.html) I retrieved my F&C kit #3406 and have pretty much finished building and detailing the superstructure. I am stuck however doing the underframe as I am not confident how to proceed. There are some parts that I think are meant to be Crossbearers but the instruction as usual are not helpful.

I am curious if there are any D&H mavens here that may have information on the prototype. In his blog post Ted Culotta said he thought there may have been a RMC article by John Nehrich. Can anyone verify this? I plan to post model photos soon.

Bill Welch

Benjamin Hom

Bill Welch asked:
"Inspired by an item on the Speedwitch Blog (http://prototopics.blogspot.com/2019/02/wordy-wednesday-delaware-hudson-36-foot.html) I retrieved my F&C kit #3406 and have pretty much finished building and detailing the superstructure. I am stuck however doing the underframe as I am not confident how to proceed. There are some parts that I think are meant to be Crossbearers but the instruction as usual are not helpful.

I am curious if there are any D&H mavens here that may have information on the prototype. In his blog post Ted Culotta said he thought there may have been a RMC article by John Nehrich. Can anyone verify this?"

The Nehrich construction article, featuring an extensive kitbash of the MDC 36 ft DS boxcar, appeared in the December 1987 issue of RMC.  He followed drawings by Chuck Yungkurth published in the November 1987 issue of RMC.

Ben Hom

Don Burn

Bill,

Not a D&H maven but there was an article in November 1987 RMC on the prototype with a plan by Chuck Yungkurth showing all three ends, and the with an underframe plan. The December issue the same year had a how to model the cars article.

Don Burn

Inspired by an item on the Speedwitch Blog (http://prototopics.blogspot.com/2019/02/wordy-wednesday-delaware-hudson-36-foot.html) I retrieved my F&C kit #3406 and have pretty much finished building and detailing the superstructure. I am stuck however doing the underframe as I am not confident how to proceed. There are some parts that I think are meant to be Crossbearers but the instruction as usual are not helpful.

I am curious if there are any D&H mavens here that may have information on the prototype. In his blog post Ted Culotta said he thought there may have been a RMC article by John Nehrich. Can anyone verify this? I plan to post model photos soon.

Bill Welch

Bill Welch

I assume John's article inspired the F&C kit. It is pretty good basic kit but room for many enhancements that I will post soon.

Thank you Ben and Don!

Bill Welch

Brian Carlson

Bill are these the cars I covered briefly in my clinic?

Brian J. Carlson

On Mar 29, 2019, at 12:56 PM, Bill Welch <fgexbill@...> wrote:

I assume John's article inspired the F&C kit. It is pretty good basic kit but room for many enhancements that I will post soon.

Thank you Ben and Don!

Bill Welch

Bill Welch

Yes, I remember Brian