Topics

a fun glimpse into the Western Union operation

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

We were recently discussing the Ambroid Western Union car.

For those interested in seeing the whole train, have a look at the image below.

Unfortunately the cars do not appear to match the Ambroid model.

Still, a fun glimpse into the Western Union operation.

Claus Schlund

mofwcaboose <MOFWCABOOSE@...>

Nice find.

Until about 1914, Western Union line forces were often housed in camp cars leased from the railroads they were working along, since Western Union telegraph lines nearly always paralleled railroads. There are no markings visible on these cars to show if they belonged to Western Union or not. Some of the first Western Union cars may have been converted from boxcars, before they began to use old Pullmans.. Thus there is a good chance this is a very early Western Union outfit.

One advantage of having their own cars was that they could be readily transferred from one railroad to another., which obviously could not be done with railroad-owned cars. Another reason was that railroad-owned camp cars of the time were often rather spartan. With their own cars, the company could provide better accomodations.

John C. La Rue, Jr.
Bonita Springs, FL

We were recently discussing the Ambroid Western Union car.

For those interested in seeing the whole train, have a look at the image below.

Unfortunately the cars do not appear to match the Ambroid model.

Still, a fun glimpse into the Western Union operation.

Claus Schlund

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

John and Friends,

I wonder if the two cars to the left of the locomotives in this view are Western Union. They appear to be converted passenger or head end cars. This is Roper Yard on the D&RGW, circa 1947. Not a diesel in sight!

http://www.steamerafreightcars.com/gallery/shot%20of%20mo/shotofmoaug02_1.html

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 3/31/19 11:05 PM, mofwcaboose via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

I don't think these are Western Union cars. In fact, they might not be occupied camp cars at all. No smoke jacks or ventilators visible. They do look like they were originally open-end passenger cars  that had the  end platforms removed and the roofs cut back to match.

To my eyes, they most resemble early D&RGW  camp cars that were built new around 1880. The last example sat on narrow-gauge trucks at Durango for many years. If it still exists, it is more then likely the oldest surviving camp car in the world.

John C. La Rue, Jr.
Bonita Springs, FL