reporting marks for the 40ft single sheathed auto box car

Claus Schlund \(HGM\)

Hi List Members,

Any thoughts on the reporting marks for the 40ft single sheathed auto box car shown in ght eimage linked below? The resolution is just not quite good enough...

Thanks for ideas in advance.

Claus Schlund

Benjamin Hom

Claus Schlund asked:
"Any thoughts on the reporting marks for the 40ft single sheathed auto box car shown in [the] image linked below? The resolution is just not quite good enough..."
https://www.wisconsinhistory.org/Records/Image/IM86520

NJI&I (New Jersey, Indiana, &  Illinois), a subsidiary of the Wabash.  I don't have ORER info with me at work today, but it looks like a potential kitbash of the Walthers 50 ft fantasy automobile boxcar.

Ben Hom

anthony wagner

NJI&I, a subsidiary of the Wabash. poss ibly 3500-3599 1 car in my 1-1-80 ORER. I'd guess its a clone of several thousand WAB cars in various 40000 thru 49000 number series  with 11' or 12' doors as both ordinary XM box cars or XAR auto or XME and XAP auto parts cars. Tony Wagner

On Monday, April 1, 2019, 10:17:05 AM CDT, Claus Schlund \(HGM\) <claus@...> wrote:

Hi List Members,

Any thoughts on the reporting marks for the 40ft single sheathed auto box car shown in ght eimage linked below? The resolution is just not quite good enough...

Thanks for ideas in advance.

Claus Schlund

anthony wagner

My bad it should be 1-1-50 ORER. TW

On Monday, April 1, 2019, 11:52:08 AM CDT, anthony wagner <anycw1@...> wrote:

[...]

Tony Wagner replied"
"NJI&I, a subsidiary of the Wabash, possibly 3500-3599 1 car in my 1-1-50 ORER. I'd guess its a clone of several thousand WAB cars in various 40000 thru 49000 number series  with 11' or 12' doors as both ordinary XM box cars or XAR auto or XME and XAP auto parts cars."

That's what I thought at first, but the Wabash cars all had radial roofs and the car in the photo has a peaked roof.
http://www.steamerafreightcars.com/gallery/boxauto/wabssautomain.html

That got my interest as it appears to be an opportunity to use that fantasy HO scale Walthers 50 ft auto boxcar for something by cutting out a set of diagonals shortens the model to the neighborhood of 40 ft.  The ends will need to be replaced, which isn't too difficult, especially as the kit is engineered with a separate A end to allow swapping a solid end or end door.

Ben Hom

Ralph W. Brown

Hi Ben,

Do you happen to know the Walthers item number for that car?  The replacement end with end doors has piqued my interest.

Thanks,

Ralph Brown
Portland, Maine
PRRT&HS No. 3966
NMRA No. L2532

rbrown51[at]maine[dot]rr[dot]com

[...]

Andy Carlson

One of the problems I had with the Walthers 50' SS auto box cars were the diagonals were quite removed from the vertical, more than just about every example I have looked at. This would of course hindered the transfer of forces which a good truss needs to be affective. Of course the grooves between boards was a deal killer. But the out-of-the box thinking of turning it into a 40' car, that I like!!! Reminds me of the Mainline Modeler NP GS kit bash of swapping left and right pieces of the sides to correct the truss arrangement. This is what makes this hobby fun.
-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA

On Tuesday, April 2, 2019, 1:35:07 PM PDT, Steve and Barb Hile <shile@...> wrote:

try this

Steve Hile

[...]

_.
_._,_._,_

Eric Lombard

Gents, That car is from NJI&I 2000-2149 built ACF Lot 9553, 1923. they had an inside height of 10-6. ACF builder photos are available on the Westerfield ACF photos disk.

On Tue, Apr 2, 2019 at 2:12 PM Benjamin Hom <b.hom@...> wrote:
[...]

Ralph Brown asked:
"Do you happen to know the Walthers item number for that car?  The replacement end with end doors has piqued my interest."

Steve Hile replied:
"try this
https://www.ebay.com/itm/WALTHERS-932-5853-NORTHERN-PACIFIC-50-BOXCAR-4912-KIT-HO-SCALE/382862829884?hash=item592467293c:g:I74AAOSwqoxb9bDb

Secondary market is your best bet - as far as I know, Walthers hasn't reissued this model yet.  The end door is one of the worst features of this kit - it lacks the heavy frame normally seen on these prototypes and features some unprototypical large protruding hinges.

Ben Hom

Tim O'Connor

30 years and 2 days before I was born...

On 4/2/2019 5:22 PM, Eric Lombard wrote:
[...]

Sterling, Massachusetts

Tim O'Connor

You're probably right about the Walthers end doors, but some hinges did stick out a bit.

Tim O'

Ralph Brown asked:

Tim O'Connor wrote:
"You're probably right about the Walthers end doors, but some hinges did stick out a bit."

The hinges on the Walthers car are comical, and with the lack of heavy frame around the door, would rip out of the corner post once the door is opened.

Ben Hom

Benjamin Hom

Andy Carlson wrote:
"But the out-of-the box thinking of turning it into a 40' car, that I like!!! Reminds me of the Mainline Modeler NP GS kit bash of swapping left and right pieces of the sides to correct the truss arrangement. This is what makes this hobby fun."

It's actually one of John Nehrich's ideas.  With an eye towards building a Wabash 40 ft SS automobile car, he turned a MDC 50 ft SS auto boxcar into a flat kit, then removed the side sill reinforcement under the doors and cut out a diagonal on either side of the door to make 40 ft sides.  I don't know if he finished the model, but it was on the way towards being a credible model of the prototype at a time when the Funaro model was no longer available.

Ben Hom