Topics

Throwback Tuesday: Ulrich GS Gon Ad, Model Railroader, October 1959

Benjamin Hom

Ulrich GS Gon ad, October 1959 issue of Model Railroader.

Ben Hom

Tony Thompson

Us SP modelers have long had to roster a bunch of these Ulrich cars to represent the thousands of Enterprise GS gons that SP bought in the 1920s. They were truly durable, remaining in service well into the 1960s on SP. As models, the Ulrich cars are not bad, though the white metal die castings are VERY hard and all but unworkable for those wishing to add wire grab irons. I have succeeded in adding improved brake gear.

Tony Thompson

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Ben and friends

Great nostalgia. Besides the Ulrich gondolas, the dump truck is one of theirs, and these are like Gold when you can find them. The little people are Weston Mini Figures, which were continued by Campbell until just a few years ago. They were a little cartoonish when compared modern plastic offerings, but had good detail, nice painting, and great character.

Despite having cast on grabs, these gondolas still look good, and AFAIK, are the only models of this very common design. I have three. Despite being cast in what I think is zamak, they don't show any deterioration. Some other 1950s zamak models I have owned crumbled (an Ulrich composite mill gondola and a Roundhouse ore hopper). I am pretty sure two of mine are original Ulrich (I bought one new in the box in the 1970s), but the third is a more recent Walthers with plastic brake parts.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 4/2/19 12:11 AM, Benjamin Hom wrote:
Ulrich GS Gon ad, October 1959 issue of Model Railroader.

Ben Hom

Rob M.

We in O scale are blessed to have a wonderful and accurate scale model of G-50-9/12 GS gons in brass courtesy of the late Pat O'Boyle and his Pacific Limited.  Beautiful models and a signature of the west in the same vein as the ATSF Caswell Gons, of which we are not fortunate to have in quarter inch scale.

I've justified an SP G50- on my east coast coal hauling branch as something bringing in product from Espee territory.  Need you SP guys to school me on what types of non-aggregate loads may be carried to the east coast in one of these cars.

Suggestions please?

Rob Mondichak

Benjamin Hom

Rob Mondichak asked:
"I've justified an SP G50- on my east coast coal hauling branch as something bringing in product from Espee territory.  Need you SP guys to school me on what types of non-aggregate loads may be carried to the east coast in one of these cars."

Lumber.  Lots and lots of lumber.

Ben Hom

Rob M.

I usually justify my SP/GN/Milwaukee single sheathed boxcars since they were often seen spotted at lumberyards in my neck of the woods with lumber products.   I know (or think I know) I've seen pictures of redwood pipe in GS gons already but the east used lots of vitrified clay pipe or cast iron for municipal use.

Rob Mondichak

Bill Decker

Amen Ben!  LOTS of lumber--particularly cants in GS goes.  For me, they are sent up the Cascade "Hill."  i have been looking at a photo shot at Wicopee (middle of the climb up the Cascades) as I study the Wicopee station site for modeling.  The photo in question is shot on a GS got loaded with lumber cants (rough-sawn, about 6x6 or so) loaded above the gon sides with side stakes and cross ties per the AAR loading diagrams for open car loading.  Prime Douglas Fir from the forests of Oregon!

Bil Decker
McMinnville, OR

Rod Miller

On 4/2/19 3:13 PM, Rob M. via Groups.Io wrote:
We in O scale are blessed to have a wonderful and accurate scale model of G-50-9/12 GS gons in brass courtesy of the late Pat O'Boyle and his /Pacific Limited/.  Beautiful models and a signature of the west in the same vein as the ATSF Caswell Gons, of which we are not fortunate to have in quarter inch scale.
I've justified an SP G50- on my east coast coal hauling branch as something bringing in product from Espee territory.  Need you SP guys to school me on what types of non-aggregate loads may be carried to the east coast in one of these cars.
Suggestions please?
Rob Mondichak
Several other SP GS gons in addition to the Pacific Limited gons
have been imported and/or are available in O scale.

Max Gray and U.S. Hobbies imported G50-16 gons. The MG models have
working drop doors and AB brakes while the USH gons have K brakes
and dummy doors. Ends were plate or dreadnaught.

Glacier Park Models has a nice kit for an AC&F GS gondola.

Precision Scale imported the G50-20 with either low sides or
sugar beet side extensions.

Mike's Train House imported G50-16 and G50-20 gons RTR 3-rail.
They are very accurate including the lettering. The body has
provision for a KD coupler mount, and 2-rail wheelsets are
available from MTH. One can go farther with the conversion such
as filling in the center sill at the trucks, adding body bolsters,
and changing the trucks. A sheet metal weight is sandwiched
between the floor layers. Foobie schemes were D&RGW, NP, GN,
probably others. Long sold out, look for them on eBay.

The MG/USH cars needed brake rigging and painting. The MTH cars
need, in addition to the changes listed above, cut levers and
air hoses to become nice models of the prototype. I have a
blend of 21 of the MG/USH/MTH cars on my layout; most are
assigned to mine service.

--
Rod Miller
Handcraftsman