Throwback Thursday: Athearn Metal Tank Car Kits

Benjamin Hom

Athearn Tank Cars ad, December 1951 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman.

Ben Hom 

william darnaby

Interesting.  Using an inflation calculator of 10 this was pretty serious money back then, just about $23 today.  I purchased a built up Crystal Car Line version off the used/bargain table of my local hobby shop in 1966 and it still runs in my op sessions today.  It is probably…almost certainly… the oldest car on my railroad.

Bill Darnaby

From: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io <main@RealSTMFC.groups.io> On Behalf Of Benjamin Hom
Sent: Thursday, April 4, 2019 9:01 AM
To: STMFC <main@realstmfc.groups.io>
Subject: [RealSTMFC] Throwback Thursday: Athearn Metal Tank Car Kits

Athearn Tank Cars ad, December 1951 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman.

Ben Hom 

Dave Lawler

In my memory, those cars cars were pretty nice for their time
except their running board castings were quite brittle.
Dave Lawler

I still have one, but over the many moves 3 doors were lost.  I completed one good side and plugged the openings with styrene.  Since only one side will show on the layout, it’s (almost) as good as new. – Al Westerfield

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sent: Thursday, April 4, 2019 10:33 AM
To: main@RealSTMFC.groups.io
Subject: Re: [RealSTMFC] Throwback Thursday: Athearn Metal Tank Car Kits

Dave Lawler

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Friends,

I have several of these Athearn/Globe cars I've scarfed up at train shows--an 8K twin dome, two 8K single domes, and a 12.5K with a single full-height dome (like the later Athearn plastic single short dome car). I replaced the abnormally short domes on the two 8K singles with parts from my scrap box.
I also have a similar Mantua tank car which was missing its paper wrapper and ended up on a shortened Athearn underframe. After several tries to make my own wrapper on the computer I gave up and assembled it as a GATX welded car I photographed in Sacramento years ago.

I like these older cars. They're fun to build or rebuild, and in some ways better than their mass-market plastic successors, except for a lack of grab irons.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 4/4/19 1:30 PM, Dave Lawler wrote:

Dave Lawler

Tony Thompson

Garth Groff wrote:

I have several of these Athearn/Globe cars I've scarfed up at train shows--an 8K twin dome, two 8K single domes, and a 12.5K with a single full-height dome  . . .

Garth, if you measure an Athearn metal "shorty" tank car, you will find it is very close to 10,000 gallons. The measurement and calculation is simple, as I showed in a blog post some time back. If you're interested, here is a link:

Tony Thompson             Editor, Signature Press, Berkeley, CA
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705         www.signaturepress.com
(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

Garth Groff <sarahsan@...>

Tony,

Thanks for the tip, but I don't have an Athearn 10K tank. I have 8Ks and a 12.5K. The Mantua is a 10K though.

Yours Aye,

Garth Groff

On 4/4/19 7:52 PM, Tony Thompson wrote:

Garth Groff wrote:

I have several of these Athearn/Globe cars I've scarfed up at train shows--an 8K twin dome, two 8K single domes, and a 12.5K with a single full-height dome  . . .

Garth, if you measure an Athearn metal "shorty" tank car, you will find it is very close to 10,000 gallons. The measurement and calculation is simple, as I showed in a blog post some time back. If you're interested, here is a link:

Tony Thompson

Garth Groff wrote:

Thanks for the tip, but I don't have an Athearn 10K tank. I have 8Ks and a 12.5K. The Mantua is a 10K though.

My apologies for misreading your original post. Globe did make an 8000-gallon tank, but Athearn did not, thus my comment on what Athearn called their "shorty" tank. Your 8000-gallon cars must be Globe models. I discussed the crossovers between Athearn metal tanks, and Globe tank cars, in a blog post awhile ago. You can read it here:

The two companies and their offerings should not IMO be mingled.