Topics

Walthers HO 1944 AAR modified boxcar

Mark Mathu

What features make Walthers' HO 1944 AAR boxcar an AAR "modified" boxcar?  The 10'-6" inside height?

Here is a typical model:
https://www.walthers.com/40-aar-1944-boxcar-ready-to-run-spokane-portland-seattle-11124
____
Mark Mathu

Benjamin Hom

Mark Mathu wrote:
"What features make Walthers' HO 1944 AAR boxcar an AAR "modified" boxcar?  The 10'-6" inside height?"

Here is a typical model:
https://www.walthers.com/40-aar-1944-boxcar-ready-to-run-spokane-portland-seattle-11124

You're confusing the terms.  "Modified" is used to indicate the 10 ft 6 in inside height versions of the 1937 AAR boxcar design as the first iteration of the design was 10 ft inside height.  It's not used to describe any variation of the1944 AAR boxcar design.

Walthers uses it correctly in the sales e-mail they sent out today.

Ben Hom

Randy Hammill

In regards to the terminology, best I can tell the 10’6” IH was added as an optional standard in 1941, and didn’t change again until 1947 when the 10’0” IH was removed from
the standard.

What we often call ‘1944’ or ‘postwar’ cars simply have SREM Improved Dreadnaugh Ends, but the standard itself didn’t change. Those just happened to be the latest (trademarked) end they produced. The majority were 10’6” IH cars, but as we know, there were a fair number of 10’0” IH cars built too.

The “proper” terminology is something I’ve been trying to figure out, because some of it is modeler/railfan/historian terminology, rather than from the actual standards. It is helpful to a certain extent, but we are usually using visible components to describe the variants when I believe the standard was more about the dimensions and underframe is than the carbody. This means, for example, that we often omit cars with Pullman-Standard or ACF carbuilders ends from identification lists as if they weren’t AAR Standard cars of whichever type.

Technically, I think that a 10’0” IH car with an Improved Dreadnaught End is a 1937 AAR Standard Car, and one with a 10’6” IH is a Modified 1937 AAR Standard Car, if built before 1947 anyway. After that point it’s a 1947(?) AAR Standard Car.

I know that’s not the terminology we usually use, but what do the experts think?

Randy

Randy Hammill
Modeling the New Haven Railroad 1946-1954  | https//:blog.newbritainstation.com

naptownprr

What is SREM improved?  a typo?

Jim Hunter

[...]

Tony Thompson

What is SREM improved?  a typo?

   SRE is Standard Railway Equipment, later calling itself Stanray, but not in the time zone of this list.

(510) 540-6538; e-mail, tony@...
Publishers of books on railroad history

D. Scott Chatfield

>What is SREM improved?  a typo?

SREM is Standard Railway Equipment Manufacturing Company, later nicknamed Stanray.  The several Dreadnaught ends were their product.

Scott Chatfield

Randy Hammill

The Improved Dreadnaught End was a trademarked design by Standard Railway Equipment Manufacturing Co (SREM).

Randy
--
Randy Hammill
Modeling the New Haven Railroad 1946-1954

--

Randy Hammill
Modeling the New Haven Railroad 1946-1954  | https//:blog.newbritainstation.com

naptownprr

Thanks Randy, I didn't know that.

Jim

The Improved Dreadnaught End was a trademarked design by Standard Railway Equipment Manufacturing Co (SREM).

Randy
--
Randy Hammill
Modeling the New Haven Railroad 1946-1954

--

Randy Hammill
Modeling the New Haven ! Railroad 1946-1954  | https//:blog.newbritainstation.com

Tim O'Connor

Randy

I don't know what to call them other than "AAR" cars with annotations (ends, roofs, interior height, etc)
but I agree that 10-0 IH was a popular size after the war. The Southern Pacific never bought any 10-6 IH
40 foot cars and acquired 26,944 (by my count) "AAR" 40 foot 10-0 cars from 1936 to 1953.

Tim O'Connor

[...]

*Sterling, Massachusetts*