Attaching parts to brass models.

Jared Harper

I have been detailing a Balboa Santa Fe gas electroc to resemble M.177.
So far I have been soldering everything but I have gotten to the point of wanting to attach nut-bolt-washer castings to the radiators.  I am thinking CA but when it comes time to paint the model I will want to clean it.  How do I clean it without detaching the n-b-w's.

Jared Harper
Athens, GA

Todd Sullivan

Hi Jared,

I suspect it depends on how you will clean the model before painting.  For example, I've found that soaking models in water for an hour or more will cause CA bonds to detach, but I suspect that epoxy will survive most cleanings aside from using lacquer thinner or a similar VOC.  I use an epoxy found in hardware stores that has a 10-15 minute set time, and it is pretty robust.  I'm sure others will chime in with additional ideas ....

Todd Sullivan.

Paul Woods <paul@...>

Hi Jared

I would suggest cleaning the model prior to adding the NBW castings, then handle as little as possible while adding the castings and finish up by cleaning the areas with NBW castings using a very soft brush such as an artists brush and soapy water.  From my experience with CA and epoxy glues in the marine industry, both of them are very good so long as the surfaces being joined are very clean, so it's a good idea to wash the model before applying the glue in any case.

I am assuming that the NBW's are plastic and not brass - I would never glue brass details on; I would sweat them on using a low-temp solder that contains silver (so that it won't build up and hide detail) otherwise you might as well save the cost of the brass castings and use plastic.

Regards
Paul Woods

Whangarei, NZ

Bruce Smith

Jared,

I don’t foresee any major problems. We all wash and grit blast CA applied details all the time. As Paul noted, make sure the surfaces are clean.  I would consider grit blasting the brass prior to using CA to apply details just to give the brass a bit more “tooth” to hold with the CA but metal to meat and plastic to metal are two of the best surfaces to get good CA bonds.

When you’re done with the details, just wash in dish soap (Dawn) and water with a soft toothbrush. Gentle scrubbing should be fine. Then, when dry, I would grit blast, wash again, and paint.

Regards

Bruce

Bruce F. Smith

Auburn, AL

On Apr 10, 2019, at 10:01 PM, Jared Harper <harperandbrown@...> wrote:

I have been detailing a Balboa Santa Fe gas electroc to resemble M.177.
So far I have been soldering everything but I have gotten to the point of wanting to attach nut-bolt-washer castings to the radiators.  I am thinking CA but when it comes time to paint the model I will want to clean it.  How do I clean it without detaching the n-b-w's.

Jared Harper
Athens, GA

Tim O'Connor

I have used epoxy to attach parts to brass with excellent results - including a trip through the
150 degree oven to "bake" the Scalecoat paint. I would never trust CA for this application. For
tiny parts like NBW I would try either 'canopy' white glue, or diluted contact cement - assuming
you can make it invisible.

Tim O'Connor

--
*Tim O'Connor*