Topics

Photo: Texas & Pacific Freight Yard

Bob Chaparro

Here is a link to an undated photo of a Texas & Pacific freight yard from the Portal To Texas History website:

https://texashistory.unt.edu/ark:/67531/metapth853399/m1/1/?q=boxcar

There is quite a variety of freight cars in the photo and I'm sure many of you can establish a date range for this photo.

One clue I see is a Santa Fe refrigerator car on the left. If you zoom in on the photo you'll notice this car has Garland ventilators on its roof. This car may be either a Class Rr-O or a Rr-P reefer. Some of the Rr-O class cars received Garland ventilators in late 1908 as a retrofit. The Rr-P reefer came into service beginning in 1910 and some of these also were equipped with Garland ventilators.

Enjoy the photo.

Bob Chaparro

Hemet, CA

Dennis Storzek

I like the Kansas City Mexico & Orient boxcar to the right in the photo. As the KCM&O was acquired by the Santa Fe in 1928 that pretty much means this is a pre-depression view.

Dennis Storzek